Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Wisconsin to Albuquerque - Need Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:11 AM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Wisconsin to Albuquerque - Need Ideas

Good morning everyone. I am 5 weeks away from a 2 week ride from Wisconsin to Albuquerque. I have yet to make a final decision on a route but my plan is to take 4 days to get there and 4 days to come home - I'll be spending 7 days in the middle with my wife and kids who are flying down and will meet me the day I arrive - or at least that's the plan. I'll certainly be riding around the area while I'm down there but my in-laws are there and they ride, so I should have a good tour guide while I'm there. I'm planning to ride about 300 miles per day which isn't too bad. That should give me a little time to stop and smell the roses along the way.

What I'm looking for is some insight as to what routes are the best and what sights I just have to see. My plan is to stay off the interstates as much as possible but stay on roads that are good riders. I would also like to bypass any MAJOR cites. I have no interest in driving through heavy traffic areas. I want to enjoy as much of the ride as I can and running around in stop and go traffic isn't my idea of a good time.

Please provide your thoughts. This next 5 weeks is going to drag on and on and on and on.........

Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Riding across the great plains states is miles and miles of the same miles. Pick your poison and cross them from east to west in one day. I would think you could take in some of Colorado in five weeks.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,924 Likes on 12,136 Posts

The problem is, between you and Denver there aren't a lot of roses to stop and smell. When heading west, I usually bee-line it towards the continental divide to get to the more interesting stuff. Not that there isn't interesting stuff in Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas, but it's a different kind of interesting than many motorcyclists are looking for.

You could consider doing a Rt 66 thing if that's of interest to you. Of course it would only be a partial route. That could eat up 4 days.

Weather is also a factor. I would say head straight to the mountains and then ride the passes down to NM, which is a great ride. But, they are still skiing on those mountains so I doubt it will be rider friendly in 5 weeks.

You could also run down to the Ozarks and then west. Do a Mississippi River ride until Galena then find solid (read as boring, but direct) 2 lane to St Louis, then 2 lane down to the Talimena, then west to NM through OK and TX. I don't have routes around there but I do know routes to OK. JMRoadglide and RobertWY probably could shed some light from there.

Last edited by nevada72; 04-11-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm kinda with nevada. take river road / 61 south into Mizz. I44 into Oklahoma, then I40 west thru Oklahoma. coming back you can go back east on I 40 then take I55 north.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

Route 66?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with Nevada72.

The mountain weather might be tricky, but you can always divert if you have to.
Riding through the CO mountains I've hit freezing rain, snow, sleet and hail in
AUGUST so <shrug>....

If you do decide to go through the mountains and then head South, come down
through areas like Durango, Pagosa Springs, Chama, Taos, etc. and have good
rain and cold weather gear you can change into if needed. Also be aware that
it can be a long way between gas stations out here so tank up early and often.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
You could also run down to the Ozarks and then west. Do a Mississippi River ride until Galena then find solid (read as boring, but direct) 2 lane to St Louis, then 2 lane down to the Talimena, then west to NM through OK and TX. I don't have routes around there but I do know routes to OK. JMRoadglide and RobertWY probably could shed some light from there.
Nevada suggests the Talimena Scenic Byway. It's very nice. See a few pics here:
http://txharleyrider.com/trips/ark10...2-day-2/#/5/37

From the west end of the Talimena drive, you may as well bite the bullet and head west on I-40 through the rest of Oklahoma and Texas. There's not much to look at except flat straight roads all the way to Albuquerque. Oklahoma does offer a little more varied terrain than west Texas. I know very well from where I live in Texas (Arlington, DFW area) that it's sorta like riding on your kitchen table from here to Albuquerque, which is over 600 miles. At least from around Tucumcari to Albuquerque you can see mountains in the distance.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robertwy
At least from around Tucumcari to Albuquerque you can see mountains in the distance.
LOL!!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Srrmc
Tourer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get on the 36 east to west and 285 north to south

Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madrid baby.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin to Albuquerque - Need Ideas