Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Wisconsin to Albuquerque - Need Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
We are going to stop in Madrid, New Mexico to see the world famous Maggies Diner that was used in the movie Wild Hogs. Now if you have the time, you could head up into the mountains and say run 285 south through Colorado to down to Santa Fe then take NM highway 14 through Madrid on your way to Albuquerque and you will get the WOW factor on that route.

The diner is now a gift shop. Big sign in the window says something like

"We are not a diner"..

Was just there about 3 weeks ago.. Madrid is a typical lunch run for Albuquerque bikers.
Rt 14 from Santa Fe to Albuquerque is a nice ride, though..

Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

I almost can't take it anymore. Just 31 days to departure and I'm going crazy. I've been looking over routes and making lists, checking them twice... I'd be better if I could just get out and ride but winter won't end!!! This is the only reason to dislike Wisconsin.

I've decided on two route options. The choice will be based on weather. Route 1 (that's what I'll call it) basically follows the mighty Mississippi to Prairie du Chien, on to Cedar Rapids, IA then to Jefferson City, MO. Once I get there I'll probably follow HWY 54 to Tucumcari, NM and then in to Albuquerque. Route 2 would take me west on HWY 212 all the way to Sturgis and then south on HWY 385 all the way to Trinidad, CO. There I'll make a decision to either hook up with I25 to finish the trip or take the more scenic route through the mountains. Again, weather will affect my decision.

The anticipation is killing me...

Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have fun and file a trip report with lots of pictures!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chief1600
I almost can't take it anymore. Just 31 days to departure and I'm going crazy. I've been looking over routes and making lists, checking them twice... The anticipation is killing me...

LOL!! I know what you mean, I'm planing a 14-16 day trip starting May 30 that will take
me from ABQ up through Durango & Silverton, CO; Moab & Provo, UT and up into the Grand
Tetons and Yellowstone where I'll spend 4 full days touring around before coming back
through Green River, WY; Delta, Gunnison, Del Norte and Pagosa Springs, CO. I'll probably
go through Chama, NM, pick up 84 and take that back toward ABQ, but I'm still thinking that through.

So I plan to take much of my own advice to you both out and inbound..

Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I-25 south from Colorado, I've done that twice by car. Always dreamt of being on the bike on that route, and will do it soon. Wide open space and cool scenery through northern NM. If you want to see how fast your bike will go, that would be the place to do it. Awesome Mexican dive as you get into Albequerque (wish I remember directions) has the best "humongous" breakfast burritos.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I think I would hit 90 in LaCrosse and haul *** west till I found a south bound route that way!!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Minnesota Dick
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at US20 across Iowa and Nebraska. When you go across Nebraska on US 20 you will think you are the only person left on this earth as there is nothing around. But be sure to keep an eye on the gas gage so you don't run out gas.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Make a beeline to Denver and spend your time in Colorado and northern New Mexico via the Durango route, all weather depending of course! Some of the best riding you will ever have waits for you in Colorado! The ride from Ouray to Silverton alone is worth the trip just to get there! Million Dollar Highway

Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Has anyone traveled I90 recently from MN to Rapid City? Wondering how the road surface is. I'm thinking about taking that on the first leg of my trip just to get out to some good riding but don't want to if it's a rough bitch... Thoughts please.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Does anyone know anything about I90?

Quick Reply: Wisconsin to Albuquerque - Need Ideas