Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New england help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New england help

Thinking about riding over to the Adirondacks from Michigan this summer. Any suggestions on good riding roads there or eslewhere in New England

Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

There are way too many roads and hundreds of great miles to ride in the Adirondacks. If you have a couple of days to wander you want to hit the Saranac Lake and Lake Placid areas. Leaving Lake Placid you will have two great routes to get to Keene and Keene Valley. There are also great rides from Utica up through the mountains to Old Forge, Blue Mountain Lake, Long Lake and eventually Tupper Lake and then on to Saranac and the Placid area. You can also hit the eastern side of the mountains and go through Newcomb to Lake George region or head north to Scroon Lake. Eventually you can leave the Adirondacks and follow Lake Champlain north until you cross the bridge at Rouse's Point and head in to Vermont. If you check out some maps you will find a lot of different routes. Some will have great views and some will lead to some fun places to eat. Plan the trip before you come, keep a couple days free, and just let that front wheel guide you.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Drat
There are way too many roads and hundreds of great miles to ride in the Adirondacks. If you have a couple of days to wander you want to hit the Saranac Lake and Lake Placid areas. Leaving Lake Placid you will have two great routes to get to Keene and Keene Valley. There are also great rides from Utica up through the mountains to Old Forge, Blue Mountain Lake, Long Lake and eventually Tupper Lake and then on to Saranac and the Placid area. You can also hit the eastern side of the mountains and go through Newcomb to Lake George region or head north to Scroon Lake. Eventually you can leave the Adirondacks and follow Lake Champlain north until you cross the bridge at Rouse's Point and head in to Vermont. If you check out some maps you will find a lot of different routes. Some will have great views and some will lead to some fun places to eat. Plan the trip before you come, keep a couple days free, and just let that front wheel guide you.
I grew up in Utica and my grandparents had a camp In Old Forge,what a beautiful ride from there to lake placid.

The following users liked this post:
Oilhed (02-02-2020)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Just from the last time I was on it, I'd avoid 17/86! It was a terrible road last time I was on it. If you're crossing at Buffalo, that road's too far south for you anyway. Work your way over to 81, and up to Watertown, and across 3 to Lake Placid, and gotta stop at Whiteface Mountain & ride up on the gondola. You can get a ferry across Lake Champlain, at Fort Ticonderoga NY, into VT. Some New England people can probably help you from there. Over near Rochester NY, I think that Lake Ontario State Prkwy is a pretty nice ride. Pick up 104, east of Rochester & you can take it all the way to 81 north to go to Watertown.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 AM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay had great ideas but i might add u can take the ferry in lake champlaine into vermont. Awesome.

Uncle Larry (02-01-2020)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM
PrkChps
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get into VT, the choices are almost limitless. From the Champlain side you can pick up Route 17 in Bristol, and take this amazing, winding road over to Rt. 100. Head North to US 2, then east through Montpelier. A great run all the way to New Hampshire. Two things to avoid in VT: Secondary roads that go over mountain passes often turn into muddy dirt roads at elevation. Also, some paved state roads are in terrible condition (like 100 from Granville Gulf north to 100B in Fayston). If you can, stay off the shoulder. Erosion has created a sharp drop off the pavement in lots of places due to the flooding last year. And of course, watch out for deer and moose. Enjoy your ride. See you on the road.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Might I suggest using US Rt.6 to get across Pennsylvania. Kinua Bridge overlook, not too far from Bradford and the Zippo lighter manufacturing plant, the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon ( both overlooks ) and just a leisurely stroll along Main St. Wellsboro to the ice cream shop. People active on the street way after 10:00PM. Breakfast at the old diner is a hoot. Geezr Glidr can give you some great pointers, he responded above. We followed some of his suggestions when we were there and had an awesome time.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
gator rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might wanna check out the americade rally in lake george. great time and people! lots of guided rides too.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Thumbs up for Old Forge. Rode through last summer and it was beautiful. Great roads!!!

Old 02-01-2020, 07:56 AM
Kathy Truden Brassard
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New York truly is a beautiful state to ride in! We are originally from Western Massachusetts and have taken many rides in NY. The North East is amazing riding through the hilltowns and back roads! I do miss it, but not the cold.

rick601 (02-01-2020)

Quick Reply: New england help