Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

States Allowing Lane Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Backroadryder
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickl
Not to be agonistic but I have never understood why one "split" the lanes between other vehicles. It's dangerous enough whether on a bike or cage, much less chancing someone texting or drifting over while talking on the cell or just plain not paying attention. More then likely the time saved is minimal anyway.
I agree that it is dangerous and seldom do it but admit that there have been occasions when the traffic is heavy behind a stop light that I have made my way up to the front between lanes of stopped cars. In California it's legal. I just wanted to know if it was legal in other States.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Not to be agonistic but I have never understood why one "split" the lanes between other vehicles. It's dangerous enough whether on a bike or cage, much less chancing someone texting or drifting over while talking on the cell or just plain not paying attention. More then likely the time saved is minimal anyway.
I'd rather keep moving than sit in stop-and-go traffic with an air-cooled engine, and I'd also rather be in control than wait for someone to rear-end me.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Back in the 70's I lived in SoCal and rode a 650 Trophy (chopped), I as well as others would split lanes at stop lights allowing us to get to the front of the line so to speak, light changes and we're gone.

I'm older now, live in Texas, wouldn't do it...