Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Our Sturgis Adventure (Very Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Our Sturgis Adventure (Very Long)

This is going to be a long multi-part narrative of our trip to Sturgis. I will break it up into different segments and add pictures. It is for the benefit of those that are interested, and also for me to chronicle our adventure while it is still fresh, so I hope you enjoy it.

Day 1 Friday August 5th, 2005
After months of planning and preparation, the time had finally arrived. It was time to leave for Sturgis. The scoot was packed with everything we could get on it (which is a lot on an Ultra). Everything else had been shipped to Tilford Gulch Campground just south of Sturgis in Piedmont.
We left the house at 4:30 a.m. The air was wet and heavy as it had rained about ¾ of an inch the night before. We were pulling out of our neighborhood when a black and orange Dyna went by loaded down. We chatted at the first stop light, and sure enough, he was headed to Sturgis too. His name was Bill and he was meeting a friend a few miles up the road, so we rode together to the meeting spot. John was already there, so we pulled out of Tucson and headed for Globe, AZ. The Ultra was purring like a kitten as we set a brisk pace along Hwy 77. Hwy 77 follows the Gila River and winds through scenic desert mountains. We stopped for fuel in Globe and waited for Bill’s other friend Travis who was coming in from Phoenix.

Bill, myself, John L to R

Travis arrived a bit late, but considering he was riding a Sportster all the way to Sturgis he had my respect.
We pulled out of Globe and headed North on US 60. US 60 contains some of the most scenic riding found in Arizona as it slowly climbs up out of the desert into the chaparral type grassland before plunging down into the Salt River Canyon. The descent is quick and is highlighted by many hairpin turns as it drops about 3000 feet in just about seven miles. Along the way down there are many beautiful views of the canyon which many have described as a “Baby Grand Canyon”. The climb out is also quick and offers more stunning views of the Canyon (sorry no pics). Along the steep walls are a few vehicle carcasses paying homage to the unfortunate people who failed to negotiate some of the sharp turns back in the days before guardrails. After leaving the Canyon, US 60 continues to climb gently upward and through some nice sweeping turns into the tall pines, arriving in Show Low, AZ. We parted company with Bill, John and Travis as they were taking a different route from that point.

We left Show Low on Hwy 77 and headed for Holbrook, AZ. The weather could not have been more perfect as the temperature hovered in the 70’s for the ride through the grassland and rolling hills on the way. We stopped in Holbrook for breakfast, fuel, and to call Bill Nourse to arrange a time to meet up as we would soon head off into the Navajo Nation and would lose phone service. Talking to Bill, we decided it would take us about 4 hours to travel to the little Red Rock Trading post where we were going to meet. Bill had given us a route tip on the hdforum for a scenic ride that would take us to Red Rock. The tip is in the following post. (Do you hear the bus coming Bill?)

“A good route from Chinle is to take the road from Chinle to Tsaile, to Lukachukai, to Red Rock, and then over the pass to 666. You can then go straight North to Shiprock, and Cortez.
This route will take you past Canyon De Chelly, which is really worth seeing, and the route over the pass between Az, and NM is really worthwhile. The map shows this to be partially dirt road, but I was over it last year, and and is paved all the way.
For sightseeing, I would perfer this to the 4 Corners Monument. There's not much at the 4 corners, unless you want to stand on a slab of cement and say that you were in four states at once.
I have to check our schedule and see what is happening that weekend, but if we are free we could meet up with you in Co

Old 08-17-2005, 03:34 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Our Sturgis Adventure (Very Long)

Keep it coming, I really enjoyed that.

Mac

Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 AM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Great pictures. Glad to hear your scoot didn't get too messed up.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

Thanks for the great pics and the story! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!

Old 08-17-2005, 11:48 AM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Steve! Wish we'd been there with you, but this is the next best thing! Keep it coming!!

Old 08-17-2005, 01:15 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Steve,

I still apologize for that mud. Glad that nothing too bad happened. Have you got the new skirt yet. I sent it the middle of last week.

Arleen says hi!

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

wow, this is better than the book I am reading...eagerly awaiting the next chapter please!

Old 08-17-2005, 02:56 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

Great story. Keep it coming.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:02 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming! Art

Old 08-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Steve,

I still apologize for that mud. Glad that nothing too bad happened. Have you got the new skirt yet. I sent it the middle of last week.

Arleen says hi!

Regards,

Bill

I can' believe I left that part out. The only damage to the bike was the front fender skirt was bent. Bill graciously offered to send me one of the original ones that he had replaced on his bike. He mailed it to my house, and it was here waiting for me when I got home.
I've already put it on, and you can't even tell the bike was ever down. Thanks Bill!
As for the mud, I drove down that road with both eyes wide open. The Ultra would have handled it okay if I had some knobby tires on it. I know it was paved before, I'm just kidding you still. Hope to see you in a couple of weeks

Steve

Quick Reply: Our Sturgis Adventure (Very Long)