Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Fredericksburg! Memorial Day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 07:43 AM
CMA
|
6th Gear
Default Fredericksburg! Memorial Day!

Mrs CMA and I are heading over to Fredericksburg for Memorial Day - usually we hang out at Lake Conroe and watch the hijinks when new boat owners encounter the boat launch for the first time, but this year we're doing something different. I can't talk her into riding from here to there (about 250 miles), so we're hauling the bike and will take some rides from whereever we end up staying. (I think once she gets used to the bike she'll be more willing to do longer rides - she's still a little nervous on the bike.)

This will be the first time we've done anything more than riding from the house - should be interesting! I've been reading about some of the rides around Fredericksburg. What would you suggest? I've seen postings on the Three Sisters, any other good spots to ride or to stop for a burger? While we're at it, any suggestions on interesting places to stay in Fredericksburg?

Anyone else going to be in the area for the long weekend?

Thanks! And by the way - I've been mostly lurking until now - it's been fun and educational reading this forum.

Old 04-02-2013 | 09:11 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Well, there are numerous roads worth riding in the Hill Country other than the Three Sisters. I like the loop from Fredericksburg, south on Hwy 16 through Kerrville, Medina and then Bandera. Stop and look around in Bandera, it's a neat little town.

Continue on south on Hwy 16 until you can turn left on Hwy 46 to Boerne. In Boerne you'll follow Business Hwy 87 north for just a bit and then turn right on FM1376 (Sisterdale Rd) and follow it back to Hwy 290 which is just east of Fredericksburg. Along FM1376 you'll want to stop and look around in Sisterdale and then a little further up the road you have to stop in Luckenbach. This makes a really nice day ride of only about 125 miles. Here's a map:

Also a good place to eat just out of Fredericksburg is:

https://plus.google.com/100907362634...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Some say it's the best burger in Texas.

Old 04-02-2013 | 09:46 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Forgot to mention in post above; go to my website and look at my trip to the Hill Country in 05/07. Click on "Trips" on the main menu, then scroll down to "Weekend Trips" and click on "Hill Country 05/07". The loop for Day Two is probably too long if your wife hasn't ridden much. But you can cut out the Three Sisters section to shorten it quite a bit. If you go through Hunt, stop at the Hunt Store, it's an interesting place.

Old 04-02-2013 | 03:52 PM
Fazman
Advanced

Fredericksburg is one of my favorite towns, and I usually ride thru there often. There's some really great roads in the area and plenty of places to get a good burger.

Since your wife is still a little nervous with riding, I would suggest the Willow City loop. It's just north of F'burg and the speed limit is 35 mph. The scenery is great and should get her more comfortable.

For the best burger you'll ever eat, I would recommend Alamo Springs Cafe on Old San Antonio Rd. between F'burg and Comfort.

Old 04-02-2013 | 05:03 PM
WB
Road Captain

If you wife is still nerveous on the scoot I would not take her on the Three Sisters. The trip from Medina to Leaky has some very sharp elevated twisties. I sure she would be on edge. Like others have said there is plenty of great riding in the area.

Old 04-02-2013 | 05:05 PM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fazman
Fredericksburg is one of my favorite towns, and I usually ride thru there often. There's some really great roads in the area and plenty of places to get a good burger.

Since your wife is still a little nervous with riding, I would suggest the Willow City loop. It's just north of F'burg and the speed limit is 35 mph. The scenery is great and should get her more comfortable.

For the best burger you'll ever eat, I would recommend Alamo Springs Cafe on Old San Antonio Rd. between F'burg and Comfort.
Excellent idea. The Willow City Loop is a very nice, short and slow ride with gorgeous scenery. Plus, this makes two votes for the Alamo Springs burger. The link I posted above has info on it.
Here's a map of the loop for you.

Old 04-02-2013 | 08:44 PM
lizard86
Tourer

I have to agree about the trip down highway 16 to Bandera. Beautiful scenery and if you just keep to the speed limit you shouldn't scare the old lady. Cant really go wrong with any of the roads in that area and the other posters are definitely leading you in the right direction. Whatever road you end up on, ride safe and have fun.

Old 04-03-2013 | 06:01 AM
CMA
|
6th Gear

Thanks everyone - some excellent tips. Alamo Springs is a must-do, that's exactly the kind of place we both enjoy. From what I can tell, she'll really enjoy the rides around F'burg. and she'll still have time to shop. Should be a great trip!

Old 04-03-2013 | 09:15 AM
Fazman
Advanced

I really enjoy Hwy. 39 thru Hunt also. It's a relaxing road that winds along the Guadalupe River. Very scenic.

Whatever roads you decide to travel, let us know how it went once you get back home....

Old 04-03-2013 | 10:08 AM
rockabillygrl
Road Master

All of the above. Take a trip to the Enchanted Rock as well. She will most likely be too busy shopping in Fredericksburg though

Quick Reply: Fredericksburg! Memorial Day!