Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Looking for road/camping suggestions for KY/TN

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:12 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for road/camping suggestions for KY/TN

Planning a 4-day ride in southern KY and mid-TN area in June for a group of around 10 motorcyclists from central Indiana. Looking for some good roads and campgrounds for tent camping. I can get us into KY using back roads of IN, from that point on, looking for suggestions.

We are purposefully staying away from the eastern TN and NC area (Dragon, Moonshiner, etc) as we have a ride going that way later in the summer already planned. Looking for ideas for two days of riding in central part of TN and southern KY, so ideas on good curvy roads would be appreciated. We can move our camp each morning, or use a central location as a base station for a few days.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

You might look at the Land Between the Lakes area of western KY.
Middle TN has the upper end of Natchez Trace, could stop at Lynchburg the home of Jack Daniels.
Just a couple that are worth looking at.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM
stevenh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could also camp at mammoth cave national park they have great camping and you could do the cave thing. all the roads around there are nice. then from there you can go 1 hour east to cumberland falls or one hour west land between the lakes. both have nice camping. east is more mountains and curves. either one will give you good rides and from them you could circle down through tn. good luck and have fun

Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member

Excellent ideas so far. Keep the ideas coming. If anybody knows specific roads that shouldn't be missed, please name them. Also looking for some campsite location referrals. We will be cooking breakfast and dinners at the camp sites. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

+1 on Land between the Lakes. There are several nice campgrounds right on the lake, and some nice rides in the area.

Another +1 on Mammoth Caves, good campground within a short walk to the caves. We camped there last year and every night there was an amazing number of fireflies putting on a light show. Watch out for ticks though.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member

Starting to look at national and state parks for tent camping in central KY and TN areas. Anybody have any favorites besides Mammoth and Land Between the Lakes?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

www.lbl.org for camping in Land Between the Lakes
www.parks.ky.gov for ky camping, divides the state into western, central and eastern for parks.
www.nps.gov for Mammoth Cave or Natchez Trace camping
www.tn.gov for tn state parks
I can not recommend one over the other, I have been to LBL and Natchez Trace, I live next to Montgomery Bell State Park in TN nice lodge, small campground.

Last edited by MCHOGG; 03-27-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Off of route 27 , Gen burnside st pk, or further down the road, Cumberland st park off route 90.
both pretty cool in the danial boone forest.
Burnside, KY area and Corbon, KY
Route 27 is a good 2 /4 lane that goes North South

Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 PM
gnortonb
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will tell you highway 68 is a very nice ride. if you are in eastern ky at al red river gorge area is beautiful, miles of great riding lots of camping. and it is all within an hour or so of Lexington

Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Painterx7
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live right south of lbl it's a nice ride they have a bison pen and other things like the old home place the ride itself wouldn't b an all day event you could also go down hwy 232 very curvy but still not all day it's just a small ride if you have any questions I live here might b able to help you

Quick Reply: Looking for road/camping suggestions for KY/TN