Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

riding west virginia

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM
slowaneasy48
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding west virginia

I am going to summersville WV the week of the 4th of july any opinions on 250 mile rides an things to do there? any help is appreciated thanks

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

There are a number of people here familiar with that area so you should get some good recommendations. I'll just say this; do NOT speed in Summersville, they make a small fortune from giving tickets to people traveling through on Rt 19. I won't even stop there for gas. Having said this you'll want to ride down the old road to cross the New River. You'll be somewhat centrally located for day trips. Here's one that includes a few of my favorite roads in that area, both primary and secondary paved roads.

From Summersville ride east on 39 to Millboro Springs VA.

Take a left (north) on 678 which is a nice small paved road to Rt 250.

Take 250 west back into WV, to Thornwood where it joins 28. Continue left (south) on 28 to Greenbank. Just a couple miles south of Greenbank turn rt on 66 to Cass.

Go through Cass and start up the mountain, look closely for Back Mountain road on the *left* and take it. This is a pleasant little paved road that's pretty tight in places so take your time. It comes out at Edray on 219 just above Marlington.

Turn right on 219 north to the top of the mountain and take a left on 150 "the Scenic Highway" which loops around to hit 39 about 30 miles east of Summersville.

This should be more or less an all day ride.

Last edited by Ridewva; 03-17-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What Ridewva left out is stopping in Greenbank and taking the free radio telescope tour. At least stop for the restroom break and a ice cream cone. The train at Cass is a nice break as well with some interesting things to see.

On another note, I live very close to WV and ride there offen. I always learn something new from Ridewva's posts. Thanks for the hint on Back Mountain Road. That ride east on 39 is my favorite way back home. Early in the morning with the mist coming off the river and the sun trying to burn through the fog in the trees is what riding is all about. Thanks WVA, keep those backroads coming.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
What Ridewva left out is stopping in Greenbank and taking the free radio telescope tour. At least stop for the restroom break and a ice cream cone. The train at Cass is a nice break as well with some interesting things to see.

...... Thanks for the hint on Back Mountain Road. That ride east on 39 is my favorite way back home. Early in the morning with the mist coming off the river and the sun trying to burn through the fog in the trees is what riding is all about. Thanks WVA, keep those backroads coming.
Buzzard you're right about stopping at Greenbank, even briefly. I just didn't know how long this ride will take him? But by the time he's in Greenbank he'll have a pretty good idea, and it'll be light until 8:30.

You're welcome. As you come into Cass (from 28) Back Mountain road also goes north (to the right) coming out on 250 NW of Durbin. So it's a long road paralleling 28, dogleg crossing through Cass. The north section is higher, not quite as scenic, but narrow and twisty. Also a little gritty in some of the corners. The main thing to remember on these roads is to keep on the right of your lane in the corners because you never know when another vehicle might be coming around the corner. It's fun on a Harley but *really* fun on a smaller bike.

Another pleasant little scenic side road along this route is from Rt 250 in VA at High Town, take 640 north maybe 7-8 miles to Blue Grass. There's a little store there on the left you can order a sandwich and sit on the porch.

You're right 39 is a great road in VA, all the way to Goshen pass.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

Everybody is different and different people have different opinions.
New river gorge bridge in WV is rather cool. It is on the back of state quarter.
Free: Visitor center
Free: To ride across it.
Free:Ride your bike down along very curvy 5-10mph paved road under bridge and then across river over replica of old bridge then continue up to other side. If you read about it and then ride your bike along it then the free road tour makes more sense. A harley store is about 20 minutes away.
The Nuclear Bunker tour at the Greenbrier (MUST park motorcycle ACROSS STREET AT TRAIN STATION for free with-in eye site of guard) hotel located at 300 W Main St White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986 was rather cool. NOT CHEAP and REQUIRES WAY in ADVANCE RESERVATIONS. Some people might find it expensive (it is) or boring (depend) but historically it is kinda cool and a lunch at the golf club overlooking the grounds while expensive is rather nice. The train station location makes sense if you read about the nuclear bunker.
Paint Bank General store/restaurant/gas is a rather cool middle of no place stop. Old general store, restaurant in back, then walk to rather cool mill out back and up the little hill feed fish(need quarters for gumball type fish food machine) in pond.
None of the above change my life but they did add some interest to stops.
Always read search first so things make more sense.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Slow48 Click here, www.naturesmountainplayground.com then part way down on the right click motorcycle touring then hit the maps. It will give you eight tours to try in the area.

Ridewva, I hear you about the gritty roads. I think of 640 as an extention of 84, but it's not. I believe I've been marking up my DeLorme for years following your routes over on ADV. I've been known to ride a Dakar and a 1150 G/S whenever I feel like falling off a bike.

As long as IM mentioned it, the roads around Paint Blank are very nice. 42,311,18. If you want some history about the area there's a book "Follow the River" by James Thom. It's a true story about Mary Ingles who was kidnapped by indians in 1755. She lived in Sinking Creek (Route 42) just south of Paint Blank. Following the route of her kidnapping all the way to Big Bone Salt Lick in Kentucky would be a goal for a couple of day ride. In any case it's a good story.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
slowaneasy48
5th Gear

thanks all for the good advice looking foward to riding wv but before we make that trip we are going to arkansas to ride the ozarks the week of memorial day

Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
WyattB
Intermediate

Great roads throughout the state. Just watch out for the coal trucks. We ride there often and have enjoyed every mile. Two lane wooden covered bridge in Philipi is different.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
beaner
Tourer

Strongly recommend Beauty Mountain when you check out the new river bridge area. It takes you out in the middle of nowhere but its just a short walk to the rim of the gourge and you cant beat the veiws.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 PM
hooter23
Intermediate

We did the cass railroad and the telescope tour while in WV a couple of years ago and they are both good diversions to get off the bike for a little bit.The roads in that area are good and very little traffic.