Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Boise ,ID to Anchorage,AK June 2013

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Playx3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boise ,ID to Anchorage,AK June 2013

The wife has a weeks vacation coming in late June and wants to go see her brother in Alaska.
knowing a week is no where near enough time to ride she is going to Fly Myself and My riding partner are going to leave a week early on the bikes and meet her there Ride Alaska for a week put her on the plane and take our time back home.

ANYONE road the Alcan in the last few years that could chime in with some road info? We are looking at two road 97 (Alcan) and 37 (Nass Hyway)

Old 03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alaska Hwy

Originally Posted by Playx3
The wife has a weeks vacation coming in late June and wants to go see her brother in Alaska.
knowing a week is no where near enough time to ride she is going to Fly Myself and My riding partner are going to leave a week early on the bikes and meet her there Ride Alaska for a week put her on the plane and take our time back home.

ANYONE road the Alcan in the last few years that could chime in with some road info? We are looking at two road 97 (Alcan) and 37 (Nass Hyway)
Ridden twice, last time in '09. Alcan is pretty good, except where they are doing construction, and the section from Burwash Landing to the Alaska border (built on swamp and permafrost, major heaves and cracks.) Did not ride 37 (Cassier Highway) but my parents who RV up and back there have done it many times. There's about 100 miles of gravel on this route.

It's an awesome trip! Dress warm! June is actually early in the season, I got snowed on June 21 one trip up around Summit Lake.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

It all depends on how much time and how much money y'all have to spend!

If you're time limited, I'd recommend taking Rt. 3 north towards Faibanks.
This goes right by Denali Nat'l Park (Mt. McKinley) and if at all possible spend some time there and tour the Park.
From Fairbanks, take Rt. 2 south towards Tok or you could detour north to Chicken and have a "toe drink" before heading into the Yukon.

On my return trip home, I took the ferry (Alaska Marine Hwy) from Haines down to Bellingham, WA. (no need to ride the same road twice) and the ride was blast (bar on board)
I would also recommend that y'all "book" your cabin NOW!
These cabins have two bunks and a very small shower/john.
THis is your only option unless you can sit sleeping in a chair or pitching a "free-standing tent on the main deck (outside).
The local bars/restaurants/motels along this ride are a real hoot.
One in Beavercreek (was at the Shell gas station) and another in Sawmill Creek about 120 miles southof Fairbanks brings back a lot of memories.

I can't remember all of the routes that I took from Bellingham to Boise, but going by Mt St. Helens, Mt Rainer, the high desert,and the Columbia River was among the best rides that I've ever done. You're gonna have a blast!

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 03-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Playx3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mcw999
Did not ride 37 (Cassier Highway) but my parents who RV up and back there have done it many times. There's about 100 miles of gravel on this route.
100 miles of Gravel will that roar is out for sure. As for gear there is now way I would think doing that ride with out warm gear. I don't leave home in June to go with out taking it.
We are stoked about doing this ride.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Playx3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
It all depends on how much time and how much money y'all have to spend!

If you're time limited, I'd recommend taking Rt. 3 north towards Faibanks.
This goes right by Denali Nat'l Park (Mt. McKinley) and if at all possible spend some time there and tour the Park.
From Fairbanks, take Rt. 2 south towards Tok or you could detour north to Chicken and have a "toe drink" before heading into the Yukon.

On my return trip home, I took the ferry (Alaska Marine Hwy) from Haines down to Bellingham, WA. (no need to ride the same road twice) and the ride was blast (bar on board)
I would also recommend that y'all "book" your cabin NOW!
These cabins have two bunks and a very small shower/john.
THis is your only option unless you can sit sleeping in a chair or pitching a "free-standing tent on the main deck (outside).
The local bars/restaurants/motels along this ride are a real hoot.
One in Beavercreek (was at the Shell gas station) and another in Sawmill Creek about 120 miles southof Fairbanks brings back a lot of memories.

I can't remember all of the routes that I took from Bellingham to Boise, but going by Mt St. Helens, Mt Rainer, the high desert,and the Columbia River was among the best rides that I've ever done. You're gonna have a blast!
We plan on staying in Wasilla and riding up 3 staying at North Pole over night and then down 4 and back to Wasilla with other rides here and there with the time left before she needs to fly back home. We are taking 97 north and back down through Seattle and back home

The next time you want to come out this way let me know I can show you some rides that will knock your socks off. I have been on every road over the Cascade's and Sierra's. Don't think there are to many roads in Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Oregon and East West pass's in CA that I have not road. Now to add Alaska

Old 03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by Playx3
We plan on staying in Wasilla and riding up 3 staying at North Pole over night and then down 4 and back to Wasilla with other rides here and there with the time left before she needs to fly back home. We are taking 97 north and back down through Seattle and back home

The next time you want to come out this way let me know I can show you some rides that will knock your socks off. I have been on every road over the Cascade's and Sierra's. Don't think there are to many roads in Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Oregon and East West pass's in CA that I have not road. Now to add Alaska
I'd like to bring my wife out that way someday.
I'd have to trailer and she'd have to fly but we could probably do a couple thousand miles or so in two weeks!
Be sure to take warm clothing and use plastic bags as liners for your luggage. We had 5 solid days of rain in Canada and it finally stopped in the Yukon. Some folks said they had snow the previous week.
Three things that I would highly recommend is a FF helmet, a leather "dickie" (neck protector", and water-proof gloves.
Being cold is bad, but cold AND wet is (for me) in unbearable!

Rt. 4 and Rt. 1 are scenic routes.(Rt.1 had construction when I was there).
If you have time, the ride down to Valdez offers some good river (kayaking) scenery and some waterfalls (for pics).
I'd recommend Valdez as for an overnight stay. It's a friendly town (just watchout for the drunks...long story.)