Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

hook up on 1st real ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:27 PM
roadWorrier
|
Advanced
Default hook up on 1st real ride?

Just curious, when ya'll were planning your first real ride, did you try to hook up with folks, or just go Lone Ranger style (although, I do realize that's an oxymoron 'cuz the Lone Ranger was never alone - Tonto kept saving his sorry azz).

I'm planning on my first-ever "long" ride. Dallas to Colorado in June 2013. Probably 7 days or 8. Done a couple short rides to Arkansas before; maybe 1600 mi on the longer one, over 3 days. But the route I have planned out for Colorado will be about 3K mi. Yea I know - it's peanuts to some of you; point well taken, don't need to hear it again, thank you.

Still, I wonder, the first time YOU took a 3k trip, did you do it alone? Or did you try to hook up with folks for part of the trip?

Thanks/ Vic

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:36 PM
Juan L

Went at it alone.

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:39 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Alone.
Always alone on long runs.

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:49 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

i prefer riding alone...might ride from daylite till dark or just start at 10 a.m. and poke down the road for a few hours and stop and read every historical marker on the road sides. too many variables and compromises when riding with others.

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:50 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by dan conner
....too many variables and compromises when riding with others.
Plus all their crap and BS too.

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:55 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior

Always alone! Leave when you want. Stop when you want. More than two people, you've got a commitee.

Last edited by Firebike32; 03-01-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2013 | 08:25 PM
roadWorrier
|
Advanced
Default go it alone

Let's see. Consistent input from Road Captains, Road Master, and Outstanding Members. Gee, I think I'm going alone.
And yes, I'm reading up on "Going the Extra Mile", and other sources, to ensure I prep for trip as best I can.
Thanks for the pointers, folks!
Much obliged./ Vic

Old 02-27-2013 | 08:39 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by roadWorrier
Let's see. Consistent input from Road Captains, Road Master, and Outstanding Members. Gee, I think I'm going alone.
And yes, I'm reading up on "Going the Extra Mile", and other sources, to ensure I prep for trip as best I can.
Thanks for the pointers, folks!
Much obliged./ Vic
Now that you've had our input, what makes you more comfortable? I took the liberty of checking out your older posts and it seems like you may not have a great deal of riding experience, right? I am not sure if having someone around with more experience makes you more comfortable or not but do what YOU feel comfortable with.

I like to go at my own pace which may be 80 on the super slab and 40 on two lane roads. I may want to stop at every historical marker along the way or have a cold beer when the throat gets parched. If you can find someone who's into that it would probably be a great ride, there is safety in numbers when riding. Best advice is to decide on a pace and ride it.

If you want to ride down to central Texas some weekend I'm down for it.

Old 02-27-2013 | 10:36 PM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

Alone on long rides. Short ones I like to go with local riders who know all the good places.
Remember to stop and look around whenever something catches your eye. I always tell myself I'll be back and never do.
Don't worry so much about your list. Just go. Stop at dollar store if you need it. You have everything covered as I can see. Most import of all, enjoy every mile, take pics. I think I enjoy it almost as good looking pics and where I've been.

Old 02-27-2013 | 11:45 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Alone! Do you prep work in advance, be flexible (weather), and have fun! SJ Ron

Quick Reply: hook up on 1st real ride?