Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

hook up on 1st real ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013 | 07:01 AM
jay72
Road Captain

Went the first one with only the wife and a half azzed plan. Went where we wanted, when we wanted. Other trips have been with 2 other bikes. You must know or quickly learn the art of compromise. It is a good sense of security knowing that there is another form of transportation available should a breakdown, an accident or emergency arise.

Old 03-04-2013 | 07:11 AM
ShatteredSoul
Road Master

I'm lucky enough to have some like minded friends that I ride with. So stopping and starting and whatnot is usually not a problem.
I may be different than most, short rides I like to take alone, long trips I like to have company.

Old 03-04-2013 | 08:42 PM
jrbean1
Tourer

I went last year on a cross country trip. There was a total of 4 of us. We were together for about 10 days. Then they had to head back home and I was able to stay out west for another 2 weeks. It was great being by myself. I was able to do what I want go were I wanted with out talking about it. If you see something interesting you just make a turn and go. No questions asked!!!! I always tell everyone I had other riders. When they as who I say "Me, myself and I".. I always get a laugh from them.
Enjoy the ride and be safe.

Old 03-05-2013 | 08:48 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

It isn't the distance, it is about what you see on the way and the experience, I have ridden all over the world and the people you meet when you are on a bike and the things you see and are immersed in when exposed to the elements rather than cosseted in a tin box is what makes the ride, I tend to have always ridden the major distances alone and have always returned with a renewed sense of self.

Old 03-05-2013 | 02:49 PM
Hoser54
Advanced

My first two rides I went with another guy and both times he cut the ride short. Never again. When you ride solo there is no drama.

Old 03-09-2013 | 12:39 AM
Mowinguy
Novice

Depends on the company. My wife, our dads, and my step mom started 12 years ago on our first long trip thinking my dad only had a year to live. 44 states later and I wouldn't trade the memories for anything. This year is Grand Canyon and rte 66. We solve conflicts in advance by having 1 person plan the trip and also be acknowledging everyone's "to do" list is different.

I took a long trip with very close friends one time and would not do it again. Long trips are a commitment and acknowledging the fact that not every day is perfect.

Old 03-22-2013 | 05:00 AM
badboytino
Intermediate
Default I also prefer alone . . . .

I like to go at it alone, although i have been on a few rides with 5+ other bikes and it was a test of patience, not so much for me but for the wife. I do have two other riders that i will ride with on long rides, we think alot alike and can do 700+ miles a day without a hitch, just set the cruise and go. But going alone seems to be the very BEST!!! Ya kinda become one with the bike and get into your thoughts, i call it my therapy, and i do therapy sessions quite regularly, usually between 1500 to 2500 mile round trip rides. Prepare for the worst but make it better than the last.

Old 04-03-2013 | 01:39 PM
SCflhr
2nd Gear
Default my two cents

Whole-heartedly agree that alone is always best because you can go at your own pace and do what you please. There is always safety and strength in numbers but as others said it then becomes a "ride by committee" and that seesm to spoil the fun of it.

If you're new to riding alone or long streches, just relax and ride your ride. Use good judgement and always be looking ahead and thinking of an "out", do that and the only worries you should have is where to get a good meal and the next gas stop.

I would advise when you go alone - map a general route you intend to take and leave it with family or friends. Call and check in each day with someone. Get AAA or HOG roadside if you dont alreday have it.

I rode alone from Alaska to Tennessee by myself in 6 days, killed my *** but I loved it out there by myself with the freedom to ride how, when and where I felt like it. You meet cool people and get great conversations which doesn't seem to happen as much when you're in a group.

Enjoy!!!

Old 08-19-2013 | 11:20 PM
roadWorrier
|
Advanced
Default iron butts

I got back from Colorado with memories of landscapes, that will last me a lifetime. But also with a much greater appreciation for all you nuts out there who ride over 600 mi a day. Man, that is not easy! Salutes to all you long distance riders. And thanks again for the great tips. / Vic

Old 08-20-2013 | 03:41 PM
airchuk
Cruiser

I ride alone - no hassle, no grief.

Quick Reply: hook up on 1st real ride?