Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

hook up on 1st real ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013 | 12:56 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Most of the trips I took when I first started riding were in the 800 mile (round trip) range and on most ot them I rode solo.
For the first 5 years I only had one friend that owned a bike and he was basically a local rider. Funny, thinking back I did convince him to ride to Niagara Falls once.

Main thing is to have your bike "road ready" and make a list of the "must have" items, your cell phone, wallet, and off you go!

It's always a good idea (especially if you're riding solo) to let your wife, family, etc., know where you're going and when they can expect you home.

Old 02-28-2013 | 07:24 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

My first long ride was alone, coincidentally to Colorado from Arlington. I don't remember the exact mileage but it was around 3k miles.

I've since made many long trips with my oldest son and a few with my wife. Many of those trips have been to Colorado.

For route ideas and photos check those trips on my website below.

Old 02-28-2013 | 07:37 AM
QC
Club Member

My first "long" trip- from CO-WY-MT-SD and back- I took with an experienced friend. I'm sure I put a crimp in his style, but he was patient. Next trip will be alone. Been up to the Black Hills a couple times, alone, since. There are still some places out west here where you can go for a 1/2 hour or more without seeing another person.

Old 02-28-2013 | 09:25 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

I do a couple of long rides a year and usually do them solo, but I am meeting up with others at a destination. I prefer riding solo, there's nothing worse than riding with someone who has a different sense of urgency than you.

Rode with a guy back in 2008 from Phoenix to Mesquite, NV. I had never ridden with this guy before and assumed he was up to the task. I find out later he had only done a few rides and 200 miles is a full day ride for this guy. He also failed to hydrate himself and damn near went into heatstroke at Hoover Dam.

If you want to ride with others, choose your riding company carefully.

Old 02-28-2013 | 09:33 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

I started riding in 1966. It was 12 years until I hooked up with a good riding partner. We then did a 6,000 mile trip. In the 35 years since then I have only found two others that worked out well. And one of those has four kids so he really can't ride too far, too much. At least 90% of my long tours are solo.

The problem is that just like the pirate posers, there are lots of riders that talk the talk. When it's time to pack up and leave they are no where to be found.

Old 02-28-2013 | 05:59 PM
tourman12
Tourer

I've been long tripping for 4 years now & always alone. The first time I tried to get an old buddy of mine to ride along but he could'nt take the time off from work. About half way through that trip I realized that I liked being able to go where I wanted & when. I also found out that certain preconceived barriers in my head could be broken, allowing me to enjoy the adventure even more-like how long I could ride,riding through mountain passes(twisties&hair pin turns),riding in downpours,etc.
Now I don't even ask friends to go along because I enloy so much the freedom of the open road by myself BUT if my old buddy wanted to make the next trip with me I would invite him along in a heartbeat.
I find it amazing the things I found out about myself on these go it alone trips-I'm sure you would to.

Old 03-01-2013 | 08:06 PM
roadWorrier
|
Advanced

yep, this is all good info.

To answer one question, I like riding with my wife's uncle. He's cool. Too bad it's all he can do to ride 50 80 mi at a stretch, on account of his back. He's taken Ozark rides, but this Colorado ride, I don't wanna risk talking him into it, for his own sake.

So, I've been building milage, like the books say. Figuring out what to adjust on the bike - and me - to make it easier for the ride. Figuring out what I need to take, vs what I just buy when I get there, etc. Figuring how to break up the milage into days and such.

Yea, I was kinda thinking solo. But I figured I'd check with those who've already been there, just to make sure. Good to see I wasn't far off the mark. Thanks again/ Vic

Old 03-01-2013 | 08:25 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

My first long rides, around 500 miles were with a very experienced friend. I learned a lot about what a good line was, and proper staggering.

I also learned to ride my own ride. When he took off at 100 mph, I laid back and met up with him later. We still ride together, and I still lay back when he drives psycho. He races cars, snowmobiles and motorcycles. I am happy to cruise and leave some room for error, gravel, deer, bad drivers.

So alone is fine, but you can really learn a lot from a better rider.

Old 03-01-2013 | 09:24 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

most of my rides have always been solo.. only had a few passengers, and maybe a dozen group rides..

Old 03-03-2013 | 12:48 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member

Have always ridden alone, have everything with me that I'll need so I can stop whenever and wherever I choose. Don't worry about going it alone, just be prepared and you'll be fine. Trust me you'll have a blast!

Quick Reply: hook up on 1st real ride?