Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Contingency plan for road trips - what's your?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013 | 10:05 PM
Road Star
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default Contingency plan for road trips - what's your?

In the event of a breakdown, what are your plans? Repair the bike, transport back home? I know this depends on the severity of the occurrence, just trying to have a plan to fall back on.
Especially when you're 1300 miles from home.

Old 02-11-2013 | 10:18 PM
Rickl
Road Captain

First, I make sure the bike is in the best shape possible. Then I carry a credit card to cover what ever repairs would be required. Lastly it would be simply a matter of renting a uhaul and bringing it back. Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem myself on the road. My brother did because he listened to my other brother convincing him that he had enough tread remaining. NOT! $800 later two new tires.

Old 02-11-2013 | 10:21 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

1300 miles is a tough one. If I could not get her running I would tow it to a local shop and see what the problem is. If its minor, I would probably let them fix it, or buy the parts and do it myself if I had the right tools. If it were a major overhaul to the engine or something, I am renting a truck and driving it home

Old 02-11-2013 | 10:39 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Look on my GPS or Map for the nearest dealer, try to call them make sure they are open and not closed on Monday's etc or just a T-shirt shop, call for a tow, look for a hotel to stay thats close to the dealer, start swearing a lot and then hope for the best.

Had it happened glad I got through to the dealer before they closed it was Sunday and they were closed on Monday, they gave me the name of another nearby dealer that was open on Monday otherwise I would have been two nights in a hotel before my bike was even looked at.

I guess in the worse case scenario I would think about a U-Haul rental, either way your stuck with about the same problem if you're in your car and have a catstrophic failure of some sort.

Old 02-12-2013 | 04:33 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member

I always carry tools, small compressor and a tire repair kit. Anything beyond a simple road side fix and I am on the phone calling the closest dealer for a tow. Last year we had a rear wheel bearing go out at 3 pm on a saturday and got lucky we were a couple miles from Woodstock HD in NY they had me picked up and back on the road in about 2 hours. Anything engine related I would probably rent a truck to get it home.

Old 02-13-2013 | 10:09 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer

Broke down in Flagstaff during an Arizona sight seeing ride from San Diego. Had lots more to see so took bike to dealer where they said two days to fix. I rented a harley and rode the Grand Canyon loop and rented a room for an extra night. Back on my bike two days later and finished the ride home a few days later, Also had a starter motor go out in S. Carolina on a cross country adventure and a dealer there had it back on the road in three hours. Luckily they were on the strand next to Hooters.

Last edited by hxturbo1; 02-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2013 | 12:59 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

If you're a HOG member you can upgrade your roadside assistance for 20 bux with coverage that will haul you to the nearest dealer or town where there is a dealer, regardless of mileage. Even if it's after hours you can at least get to a motel in that town. I figure if I can't fix it I'll just give them a call. These things typically have a way of working out OK.

Old 02-14-2013 | 08:30 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Broke down in I-40 forty miles east of Albuquerque, NM. Called Thunderbird Harley for help. They gave me the name of a recommended tow service. The tow service wouldn't come without a credit card which struck me as odd and it irritated me. The tow service showed up in a timely manner with an enclosed trailer. I asked him if he wanted help loading the bike to which he replied no. He said if he damaged the bike, he would pay for the repair, if we damaged the bike it was on me. The guy was very careful and professional. He took me to the Harley dealership which moved my bike to the front of the line and repaired my bike. It was the world famous broken wire in the harness that plugs into the throttle body. Cost of towing was $216 which was covered by my insurance policy(foremost). Bike was repaired under warranty. The tow service was T J's tow service which I highly recommend. He had the correct towing equipment for a motorcycle, was professional, timely and his equipment was clean and in working order. Kudos to Thunderbird Harley also for getting me back on the road as we were going from Amarillo to Moab. Still turned out to be an extremely long day.

Old 02-14-2013 | 08:54 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

When I'm travelling far from home I make sure I have enough money to cover a few days in a hotel, and at least 1000.00 to get bike fixed. I would use a credit card but I would have the money to cover it.

One thing I never would do is plan a trip on a vehicle I don't trust. I've heard guys talking about the fun and adventure of breakdowns...not been my experience, straight up pain in the a$$ and generally expensive.

Old 02-14-2013 | 09:52 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

MONEY

It cures every problem you have on the road.

Quick Reply: Contingency plan for road trips - what's your?