Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

los angeles area site seeing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013 | 11:08 AM
dan conner
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Question los angeles area site seeing

going to be in hollywood on thursday to visit my niece. have friday and saturday free before going to winternational drags on sunday. what would be some must see things to do while in the area?
i am open to staying in the city or hitting the road to the surrounding areas. realize that traffic will be a problem and any tips on getting around will be appreciated. will be on a bagger...never split lanes before...should i even think about trying that? thank you.

Old 02-05-2013 | 11:12 AM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dan conner
going to be in hollywood on thursday to visit my niece. have friday and saturday free before going to winternational drags on sunday. what would be some must see things to do while in the area?
i am open to staying in the city or hitting the road to the surrounding areas. realize that traffic will be a problem and any tips on getting around will be appreciated. will be on a bagger...never split lanes before...should i even think about trying that? thank you.
Splitting lames is a must in LA unless you want to stand around on the hwy.
I wouldn't waste my time in Hollywood sight seeing, nothing but homeless and drug users there. Check out santa monica and venice beach. You could do a nice ride up the coast from LA through malibu. lots of cool stuff to see just figure out what interests you and go from there.

Old 02-06-2013 | 11:14 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

Lane splitting can be frightening the first time you try it. I was riding from Phoenix to LA in 2011 and right after I got on the 210 from the 10 near Redlands traffic came to a halt. It was in August and well over 100 degrees. I sat there inching along on my Ultra, with no end in sight. I watched a lot of sport bikes and KLR types splitting the lanes, but not a big bike like mine. Eventually I watched a Gold Wing coming along and I figured if he could do it, I could. I just went very slow and found that some drivers will try and move over to give you more room. I'm glad I did it, because the backup was over a mile long. I did it again a week later coming through the Bay Area on the 680 on my way back home.

Old 02-06-2013 | 02:47 PM
ssmith579
Tourer

Depends on what you're into. Hollywood is pretty touristy. Worth cruising down Sunset or Hollywood blvd just to see it. For a nice ride take Sunset west till you hit the ocean then turn right. Go up PCH for a nice ride along the ocean. About 25 miles up is Neptunes Net which is a good place to stop, have a beer and watch the surfers. Keep going another 10 miles or so to Mugu Rock for a scenic stop. Turn around there and then take Mulholland Hwy through the hills on the way back. Th turnoff is just past Neptunes Net. You can take that to the Rock Store.

Old 02-06-2013 | 02:52 PM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ssmith579
Depends on what you're into. Hollywood is pretty touristy. Worth cruising down Sunset or Hollywood blvd just to see it. For a nice ride take Sunset west till you hit the ocean then turn right. Go up PCH for a nice ride along the ocean. About 25 miles up is Neptunes Net which is a good place to stop, have a beer and watch the surfers. Keep going another 10 miles or so to Mugu Rock for a scenic stop. Turn around there and then take Mulholland Hwy through the hills on the way back. Th turnoff is just past Neptunes Net. You can take that to the Rock Store.
+1 on that route but i would still bypass Hollyweird unless it's just something you want to tell people you did, not really missing much by not going. PCH is a nice ride.

Old 02-06-2013 | 02:56 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Hollywood is what it is. It's not my thing either. I'd hop the freeway to the coast to save time and take PCH up to Neptunes Net (just past the Ventura County line). Have a bite (preferable from the steamed food side) Maybe take a ride through the canyons from Neptunes and back to Hollywood through the valley. Been lane splitting for 17 years, it is second nature to me.