Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Maui Time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Maui Time!!!

A couple of pics of two days of riding in Maui for our cold weather brethren. Kaanapali to Kapalua to Kahului to Hana and back to Kahului and up thru Up Country down to Kihea and back over through Lahaina and to Kaanapali. Total cost (all inclusive) is $140 for 24 hours (any bike). You can rent in Kahului (HD dealer), Lahaina (HD dealer), Kihea or Kaanapali (Eagle Rider). Kahului to Hana is only 35 or so miles but involves 640 turns, 59 bridges (and it felt like more), and running over chickens on the road. SJ Ron

Attached Thumbnails Maui Time!!!-hawaii-702.jpg   Maui Time!!!-hawaii-707.jpg   Maui Time!!!-hawaii-697.jpg   Maui Time!!!-hawaii-699.jpg   Maui Time!!!-hawaii-704.jpg  

Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet.
Pics bring back good memories from 5 months ago albeit in the cage

Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hana Hwy is one beautiful road, but man that is a slooow ride.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Lickmeister
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Maui is some of the best/most unique riding I've ever done. Been there four times, twice I rented a Harley. My last trip there was during the tsunami that hit Japan. I noticed you spend summers in Lake City, CO. I'll be in that area in June. I've motorcycled in Colorado several times but haven't done the Creede/Lake City/Gunnison run. Looking forward to it.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
jack scrap
4th Gear

oh yeah memories is right last feb was sweet ,the road to hana is something else but the road around from kahului north to the west (the one they warn u about ,no rentals) is equally breathtaking

Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM
horsefly9710
6th Gear

I'm going next month - help me out on the Kahului north to the west the road they warn you about - no rentals. what exactly does that mean? I'm renting for 1 1/2 days - road to Hana on the list - where else is a must see? thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

I was there several years ago, but the "no rentals" road was not paved and in bad extremely bad shape. I agree the scenery was unbelievable.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Lickmeister
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Horsefly - Get the book "Maui Revealed". It's very detailed and written by a local about things to see, roads to ride, restaruants, etc. My recommendations for rides:
1. From Lahaina, clockwise to Kahului. The road is paved, narrow and bumpy in places but a great ride. I think going clockwise provides the best views.
2. Road to Hana and continuing on around the island. Ten miles or so past Hana, it gets a rough but eventually turns back to a good road. Before you get to Hana, look for the side road to Nahiku. It takes you to a dead end park with a great view of the ocean.
3. Road to the top of Haleakala crater.
4. From the Kihei and Wailea area, take Makena Road to La Perouse Bay. Big Beach and Little Beach (nude beach) are in this area.
5. Cruise up and down Front Street in Lahaina around sunset.

Wish I was going again. Definitely some of the best and most memorable riding I've ever done. Enjoy!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Been there 10-15 times, but never on a Harley. Unbelievable scenery, the main road is like a big "S", from Kapalua to Lahaina to Olowalu to Kahului/Wailuku, to Paia, then to Hana. Spurs take you to Kihei and up Haleakala to Science City at 10000 feet. The roads around the NorthWest sides and SouthEast sides are unpaved, and definitely not Harley material. If you can do some scuba diving off Molokini and/or Lanai. Enjoy!!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Lickmeister
Maui is some of the best/most unique riding I've ever done. Been there four times, twice I rented a Harley. I noticed you spend summers in Lake City, CO. I'll be in that area in June. I've motorcycled in Colorado several times but haven't done the Creede/Lake City/Gunnison run. Looking forward to it.
. Shoot me a PM if you are in the Lake City area. I am there from late-April thru September. SJ Ron

Quick Reply: Maui Time!!!