Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding out of Vegas first week of April (advice needed)....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013 | 10:14 PM
Hog Heaven
|
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding out of Vegas first week of April (advice needed)....

Group of four of us will have approximately four to five days riding in the first week of April. Plan is to take off from Las Vegas. Where would you ride if you had never ridden that area before? We plan to ride and stay wherever and whenever our butts get sore for the day. Would like to see Zion/Brice and the Grand Canyon for sure. Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Old 01-29-2013 | 12:35 AM
ssmith579
Tourer

Valley of fire, Zion, Bryce, grand staircase, Grand Canyon. Will make for a real nice loop. Did that last year mid April but didn't go through grand staircase because my search said it was a dirt road. I've since been told that it is paved.

Old 01-29-2013 | 07:40 AM
trailerboy
6th Gear

First week of April just be prepared for cold weather i have rode into the Grand Canyon the last week of April through snow and 25 degree temps.Those are good rides But if the weather isnt good have a backup route.like head for the Ca coast .The south rim is high i think almost 8,000 ft and the north rim doesnt open until mid May.too bad you cant wait a month when its way warmer.

Old 01-29-2013 | 08:02 AM
vegashd
Banned

All good options. The temp at the end if April will be fine. It's rare that its super cold that late in April. Especially once afternoon had hit.

From Vegas you can plan trips north to Utah and through Brice canyon and Zion, head out to the dam an over to Oatman, Az. Come back through Laughlin and searchlight.

Head out through the valley of fire and aroun lake mead.

Head out to do the red rock loop and ride over to pahrump coming back through the north end of Vegas.

Old 02-01-2013 | 10:35 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Death Valley, though April is getting late.

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:45 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
All good options. The temp at the end if April will be fine. It's rare that its super cold that late in April.
I disagree. First year we went to Laughlin ( end of April) we awoke in Flagstaff with 13" of snow on the ground. One time on the way back from Laughlin we hit snow and 25* in Williams and had it all the way to 30 miles east of Flagstaff. One year coming back from Laughlin the temps in Williams and Flagstaff were 28*.

Year before last we were in Camp Verde at the end of April. It was never real warm the whole time we were there, and when we went through Flagstaff coming home it was 28* at 10:30 in the morning.

The rest of his trip might be okay, but the area around the Grand Canyon, Williams and Flagstaff can be unpredictable and down right cold the end of April.

Bill

Old 02-04-2013 | 08:24 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The weather is going to dictate your route. Zion will be fine, but Bryce Canyon is around 8000' and you could run into snow in April. The road to the Grand Canyon (North Rim) doesn't even open until late May, the South Rim is open all year, but again, you could run into snow. Weather should be great in the area from Vegas through St. George, UT but if you get into any higher elevations, it could be very cold.

Old 02-04-2013 | 08:53 AM
John Bakker
Advanced

It's great to get local info when planning a trip. My brother and I are planning something similar out of Vegas but with southern Utah being our destination. I was thinking beginning of June. What can we expect in the higher elevations end of May, early June? Thanks.

Old 02-04-2013 | 09:13 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by John Bakker
It's great to get local info when planning a trip. My brother and I are planning something similar out of Vegas but with southern Utah being our destination. I was thinking beginning of June. What can we expect in the higher elevations end of May, early June? Thanks.
You shouldn't have any problems that time of year. Most all of the mountain roads in Utah are open by Memorial Day. It can be chilly above 4,000' in the mornings and evenings, but daytime temps should be great.

UT-14 E from Cedar City is a great ride and you cross a 10,000'+ summit near Cedar Breaks Nat'l Monument. This road will take you to US-89 (turn left to go to Bryce, turn right to go to Zion).

I was in that area the first week of June last year, and the weather was fantastic.

Utah is a great state to ride in, the scenery is spectacular.

Old 02-04-2013 | 09:43 AM
John Bakker
Advanced

Scott, thanks for that response. Very helpful and confirms my thinking.
John

Quick Reply: Riding out of Vegas first week of April (advice needed)....