Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First long distance road trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013 | 03:34 AM
metroidhntr
|
5th Gear
Default First long distance road trip

So I decided during this summer I want to take a road trip on my bike and really put some miles on it. I will be running this on my 2012 Sportster which I got last year. I was only able to put on 2600 miles though. I'm just interested in any tips and tricks for my ride. I plan on going as long as I can for each stop but safety comes first and if I am tired I will pull over. Just curious on any things I should note. I am currently installing some saddle bags which I know will help. Other then that I have no real big ideas. My stops are listed below. After I get back to the springs my full trip should be over 5k including the additional riding I do while at these places.

Start - Colorado Springs, Co
1st - Las vegas, Nv
2nd - Phoenix, Az
3rd - Muscle Shoals, Al
4th - Augusta, Ga
5th - Murphy, NC
6th - Nashvile, Tn
7th - Bowling Green, Ky
End - Colorado Springs, Co

Old 01-27-2013 | 05:21 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain

Can't see any pics on my phone but if you don't have one a Windshield for a trip like that will be a great help. Don't forget any of the standards.....decent rain gear, cell phone, some basic tools, roadside assistance number. Plan your trip and make sure you're not running too far between gas stations. Pack light! Some other items..... sunscreen, extra glasses/goggles, bring clothes for cold weather even in middle of summer. Emergency credit card. Check out "bikers friend" roll bags... loved mine on a trip. Good luck

Old 01-27-2013 | 05:43 AM
Rickl
Road Captain

Plan your route with stops probably every 100 - 125 miles. You may be able to do 400 - 500 miles a day comfortably but that is a personal thing. With my Street Glide I find 600- 700 easy to do riding solo. As Karokeman stated, the proper clothes and such are necessary. Just make sure your packing system ( tie downs) is simple and secure. Don't "Jerry rig" it as you want it to be repeatable and consistent so your not stopping every 50 miles to recheck and worry if your packing is loose or ready to fall off. A T-Bag or something similar goes a long way. Don't forget a camera! Having a smart phone or iPad comes in handy to look at the weather you'll be riding into potentially each day. If nothing else it'll provide you with some advance warning so you can plan accordingly. Lastly have fun.

Old 01-27-2013 | 06:06 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain

know your limits and just have fun! your first extended road trip will be your own learning and personal experiences gained. and if all else fails see reply post 2 and 3!

Old 01-27-2013 | 06:16 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior

Stay off the super slabs as much as possible and discover america.

Old 01-27-2013 | 07:16 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

i would skip the vegas and phoenix part of the trip. just head east. if you have any time left when you get home, spend it riding the mountains in colorado! vegas and phoenix are awfully hot in the summer-hint, they are surrounded by desert.

Old 01-27-2013 | 12:03 PM
yet_erp
Cruiser

Stay hydrated. I'm a gas a go rider and made a 2K ride last summer. I got a little sick after the first 600 mile day from not drinking. After that first day, i made sure i drank a gatoraid at every fillup. This summer I'm getting a camelback system to stay hydrated. Riding around town on my sportster is fun, but I really love the open road.

Old 01-27-2013 | 12:46 PM
Atch
Advanced

Agree with all above.....Make sure you walk around a little at each gas stop. Trust me, your butt will be grateful!!! LOL Rain gear is a must. Be aware of the weather forecast each day, and if needed, adjust your route to avoid weather. Don't overdo.....and most of all , have fun!!!

Old 01-27-2013 | 12:46 PM
metroidhntr
|
5th Gear

The only reason I am going to Vegas and phoenix are because i am family and friends there. Plus After phoenix to muscle shoals, Al I might be able to complete the Iron butt Challenge maybe.

Old 01-27-2013 | 03:30 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

How much time are you taking off? I would rather be out west in 115 degree heat than Alabama in 105 and 99% humidity. If your trying to make time and miles a windshield is nice to have.

Right out your front door there are 22 paved passes that are over 10,000 feet in Colorado alone. Have you really explored Utah? I could do a month just in Colorado and Utah and never cross the same road. In fact I have and it was the best trip of my life.

Here's a hint. Know when you leave and when you have to be back. That's it. End of planning. Decide around the campfire each night where you will head the next day. Maybe you will get there and maybe not. Be open to roads and places other rider's tell you about as you meet them. Be willing to change depending on whim or weather. A road trip is OK. But these hints will turn it into an adventure. There is a big difference. Oh, one last thing, I never leave home without my electric vest.

Quick Reply: First long distance road trip