Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First long distance road trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013 | 05:19 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jsschlat
It may not look cool but with a GPS mounted to the handlebars, you can take some of the smaller roads with confidence. I would also recommend packing some zip lock bags and zip ties. Zip locks are great for emergency waterproofing for your electronics. Zip ties can help with any loose items you discover down the road.
dont forget the duct tape

Old 02-06-2013 | 09:21 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

That's a pretty long trip.

If you are going to go through AZ in the summer, do yourself a favor and skip Phoenix and do the Grand Canyon instead.

Best advice I can give is... buy a glide first. Next best is, take some weekend trips first so you can get a feel for what it is like to be on the road for that long and riding that far.

Old 02-10-2013 | 09:16 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member

Credit cards, cell phone charger and long sleeve t-shirts. I've toured on my little 883 Sportster and loved it. The OL toured on her 1200 for years (traded it on a Switchback three weeks ago). Don't over-pack. You won't be on safari in the bush. You can always buy what you need. US Postal Service is great for decreasing the size of your load if you need to buy trinkets for family/friends. Always know where your flashlight is. I find the DeLorme Atlass and Gazetteer series of State maps to be the best for finding great roads (they're detailed and topographic). Bulky and pricey, but I always find room for one or two or three, mailing them home or giving them as presents along the way. Having a schedule sucks.

Windshields suck.

Her detachable trunk/package shelf is for sale.

Solo tour

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 02-10-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 02-11-2013 | 06:36 AM
playhard67
Novice

I'm planning a long distance ride myself. Found the Iron Butt Association website to be helpful They have a list of 29 items to be prepared. The last, are tools. have a good tool set and a compressor and tire plug kit.
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Old 02-11-2013 | 08:18 AM
jay72
Road Captain

Plan on a couple of hundres miles a day, 250/350. Back side will start to hurt. Didn't say if you had a luggage rack or sissy bar but both would be good. Throw a T-bag over the sissybar resting on the back seat or luggage rack. Get yourself a couple of compression sacks at the local outdoor store. Pack your stuff in them, and zip them up really works well. Dan't take too many t-shirts as you will buy souvineersw along the way and you can wear those. Mail your dirty clothes home as you go along, makes more room for stuff you buy. Gloves, cell, toiletries, chap stick, sunglasses, gum, I-pod and charger, maps or GPS, meds, maybe a cover for the bike and GOOD rain gear. Pack the rain gear on top cause you don't want to be digging thru everything trying to find it when its pouring straight down. And on a ride this long, expect to get wet. As stated above if you don't have one a windshoeld would really help. Wind buffet can beat the snot out of you. Check your route for helmet laws and if so take a full face shield with you for those rainy days. Good luck, travel safely and remember, You're only one wrong turn away from your next greatest adventure.

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:19 PM
C908
Road Warrior

Several years ago I took a 2,000 mile trip on my 2010 Wide glide. I really liked the way that bike looked especially after I installed 14' apes. I had a quick detach shield but didn't like the way it looked on the bike. I made the mistake of not taking my shield. What I learned was going long distance the wind really made me get tired. The rest of the guys I was with had bags and shields and they were still feeling pretty good when I was beat. Even though I liked the Wide glide I knew it wasn't the bike for me taking long road trips. I didn't mention I have been riding since 1974 so it's not like this was my first trip. I ended up trading the Wide glide for an Ultra Classic Electra glide and now long distance is not a problem. As mentioned if you are on a smaller bike have a shield and some type of bags along with a good seat. A riders backrest does wonders along with a good set of shocks.