Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Smoky Mountain Rides

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts
Default Smoky Mountain Rides

My buddy and I are planning a trip out east from Colorado this year, in the early summer. No dates are set in stone, but we're shooing for the end of May / beginning of June.

The only road we want to ride for sure is The Tail of the Dragon. I know there are tons of other great rides in the area though, especially around the Smoky Mountains.

The BRP is about 460-470 miles end to end. We could easily do that in a day, since it's just us, but we want to see things too while were in the area, not just ride all day and miss the good spots.

Can anyone offer some suggestions for some good routes and places to ride while were there? I grew up back east, so I'm familiar with the differences between the East Coast and the Colorado Rockies.

It's not uncommon for us to ride 400 miles a day....So no real need to worry about the routes being too long.

Appreciate the information!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,856 Likes on 19,336 Posts

The BRP is one day is a lot to handle .... posted speed is 35 mph in many places .... park rangers will ticket speed ... many turnouts with fantastic panorama views ( especially on clear mornings ) .... The fog ( smoke ) can be real bad in the morning ... allow yourself ample time to take in everything .... http://shop.americaridesmaps.com/ is a great site to get a map of the area ... 12 Classic Deals Gap Motorcycle Rides is an excellent pocket map with description of routes and the maps corresponding to the routes on the back side of the map ... the listed rides and the route on the map are color coordinated ... they also combine rides and give estimated mileage and average times to complete the ride ...It's well worth the minimal charge! ... Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM
blade76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avoid the tail on a weekend, if you can. Cherohala Skyway runs from Robinsville, NC, (off the east end of the Dragon) to Tellico Plains, TN, for about 50 miles of great riding along some ridges. There's a nice waterfall near the western end, only about six miles south on a scenic little park road (Bald River Falls). Off the western end of the Dragon is another nice ride N-S called Foothills Parkway. Back on the NC side there's good riding by Fontana Dam, Maggie Valley and over to Cashiers and Sapphire Valley. A more leisurely approach to BRP might be worth it. Stop at some sites. Asheville is a nice town with some excellent restaurants, and it's a bit of a craft beer capital around here.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BRP plus the Cherohala are great roads.

Take your time and enjoy the ride.

BTW - Cherohala had a landslide and is currently closed - see this link - http://www.grahamstar.com/articles/2...0449359649.txt

RIDE ON.............

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,113 Likes on 3,655 Posts

I would not do the whole BRP i would do the southern part Maybe from Hwy 276 to Asheville then the north part from hwy 80 north...So many good roads to mingle in with that
-Hwy 28 from Fontana to Walhala SC
-109 from Maggie Valley to Hot Springs
-Foothills Parkway on the TN side
-Cherohala Parkway
-Tail of the dragon
-Wayah rd (#1030) From Franklin to Andrews
-If you go north to Elizabethton TN go east take 321 to Boone
421 "The Snake" from Boone to Shady Valley
-276 from Waynesville to Brevard then 64 west to 107 back to Sylva...
-Hwy 80 from Marion to the BRP...now that is a nice twisty road, then nort on BRB to Little Switzerland then back down on 226..another gem...

OK so you can see there are plenty..**** even the 4 lanes and the Intersates are nice....

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

researching this as well, have a house outside of Asheville for a week in July. Can't wait

Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default E.Tn. Rides

We had a lot of rain lately and there are numerous road closures in the area now. There was a big slide in the Smokeys park that washed out the road just past Newfound Gap. It's going to be a while before that's fixed so in order to get to the BRP from the Tn. side you have to ride the "Dragon" and then take hwy28 to 74 and up to 441 to pick up the end of the BRP.
Foothills parkway had a slide too so it may or may not be open...It's only 16 miles or so but a beautiful ride.
Cherohala is closed for now but probably be open by spring as the slide wasn't that bad.
421 and 321 are both great roads to ride as well as hwy 19 across Roan Mountain.
Check both Tndot and NCdot before you start this way to confirm that some of the roads you want to ride will be open during your visit...

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Excellent information guys...! I wasn't aware that there were so many slides lately due to the excessive moisture. I'll be digging into the TNDOT and NCDOT pages too closer to our departure.

Again, thanks. Keep the comments coming!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
...The only road we want to ride for sure is The Tail of the Dragon....The BRP is about 460-470 miles end to end. We could easily do that in a day...
TOD is definitely worth the time, but as others have suggested avoid the weekend (unless you just want to do some peope-watching at Deals Gap <g>); early week mornings are best.

As for the BRP -- You won't "easily do that in a day." I spent almost three full days riding end to end last year, worth the time but the southern half is much better scenery.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PPBART
TOD is definitely worth the time, but as others have suggested avoid the weekend (unless you just want to do some peope-watching at Deals Gap <g>); early week mornings are best.

As for the BRP -- You won't "easily do that in a day." I spent almost three full days riding end to end last year, worth the time but the southern half is much better scenery.

I realize now that the BRP in one day isn't feasible. In Colorado, we can make a day riding 5-6 mountain passes over 10K elevation. It usually works out to be around 450 miles....

The BRP is another story though, especially since we want to check out the scenery too.

Quick Reply: Smoky Mountain Rides