Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Outer Banks Motels for spring trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Outer Banks Motels for spring trip

Tried the search and did not find any up to date info on motels/ hotels in the outer banks area. We are planning a 3 day weekend ride to the Outer Banks. Riding back roads down on Friday and plan to ride and see light houses, etc. on Saturday and then head back home on Sunday.

We are looking for recommendations on clean, bike friendly motels. We have 5 couples heading down from Virginia and none of us have been there in years.

Would prefer oceanfront with someplace to hang out at night after riding plus close to restaurants, etc.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there,

I was talking to my son about a trip down to the Outer Banks sometime in late spring or just before the dog days of summer before all of the tourist go down there. Was thinking about something like going down on Friday and coming back either Sat or Sun. My boy will be 10 that time so this would be a good father/son trip. I am also looking for recommendation on hotels too. So will be watching your post to see if others chime in.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Colony IV would be my first. Beacon Motor Lodge, and Cavalier are the only ones right now that I can think of that are not multi story units. Don't know if anyone is like me but I like being on the ground with my outside the door.

My first would be Colony IV it is just N of Port O Call and Cavalier is across the street.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wild Card,

Yeah I am thinking that I want a motel that has at least a ground floor bedroom so I can sleep right next to my bike. not sure how bike theft is prevalent in hotels if you know what I mean. It is better to travel with people anyways. But if we do not find anyone we will just head out for the trip. I will see if I can google those names you suggest. Thanks for the names.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:43 PM
beachdive
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Colony IV new name

Colony IV has been remodeled and renamed Shutters on the Beach. A friend of mine stayed there last month and was impressed.

Here is their new website:
http://www.shuttersonthebanks.com

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
Colony IV would be my first. Beacon Motor Lodge, and Cavalier are the only ones right now that I can think of that are not multi story units. Don't know if anyone is like me but I like being on the ground with my outside the door.

My first would be Colony IV it is just N of Port O Call and Cavalier is across the street.
Thanks for the info Wild Card. Looks like we are doing the Beacon. Seems to fit our needs. We have rooms for April booked. Now we just need some decent weather around here.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KW-HD Rider
Thanks for the info Wild Card. Looks like we are doing the Beacon. Seems to fit our needs. We have rooms for April booked. Now we just need some decent weather around here.
theft hasnt been an issue much around here, but I don't let my guard down.

I am so tired of the weather, but I am glad I don't have snow.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on doing a similar trip, but I am up around the Norfolk/VA Beach area so I think me and the wife, along with a couple of friends are going to ride all the way down 12 to Okracoke Island at the beginning of April. There are few ferry trips on this route so that should be cool.

Good luck on the trip and I hope you find a cool place. I think we might just wing it and tide until we find a place to stay. We definitely need to find a place with some decent nightlife though.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM
PlotMH
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Planning a ride down from Michigan via Buffalo and Maryland the end of April. Colonial Inn was booked. Found this place farther south:
http://hatterasislandinn.com/index.htm
Was a Comfort Inn, now under private ownership. Not too far from the ferry to Okracoke Island.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PlotMH
Planning a ride down from Michigan via Buffalo and Maryland the end of April. Colonial Inn was booked. Found this place farther south:
http://hatterasislandinn.com/index.htm
Was a Comfort Inn, now under private ownership. Not too far from the ferry to Okracoke Island.
As a local to the area I would suggest you rethink staying down in Hatteras. Its about an hour and 20 min ride through a boring road with nothing but sand dune on either side and you will get sandblasted the whole length.

There will be rides there but I would hate to be stating there and make the 1.5 hr ride back up to where everything is going on.

Just my local yocal 2cent

Quick Reply: Outer Banks Motels for spring trip