Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Wild Duck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip

Thinking of doing a road trip this summer, maybe 2-3 weeks. I think I would like to go alone so I could go where I want, when I want and do what I want, but was wondering if a solo trip is maybe not a good idea. Been riding a couple years but never a long trip. I'd appreciate your expert opinions either way.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
tourman12
Tourer

Ive been doing 3-4 week trips the last 4 years (I'm blessed to have an employer that lets me). I ride solo on these trips because #1 I'm single & #2 my friends can't take that much time off. For me, I really enjoy the solitude of going where & when I want. The first thing I do is plan & research my route which I do during the long winter months here in Wisconsin. When I'm on my trips I try to avoid any large city,not that I don't like big cities, it's because I'd rather be out in the country.
I found that the people you meet on cross country tours are very friendly & at times very helpful & can honestly say I never had a probem with the people I meet.
What are your concerns? You'll find alot of great info. from other members here in other threads..........Safe riding.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

since you have never been on a long trip, i certainly would not hook up with a hard core touring rider that just loves those 5-700 mile days. take off by your self at your own pace. you will find a pace that suits you. have a cell phone and a good roadside assistance plan. i nearly always travel alone--after a day or two, the miles just start clicking off and i am at peace with the world. you will be fine.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
robw
Advanced

You might also look into a tracking system like Spotwalla. It lets the family know where you are in case of an accident or breakdown. I learned about it after reading about a guy that went off the road and couldn't be seen from the road and wasn't found for several days. Unfortunately he died but I don't remember reading how long he laid there before he did.
Check out spotwalla.com

Last edited by robw; 01-06-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken several long trips alone including one from San Jose to S. Carolina. What I find refreshing is the freedom to travel as long or short as I want to in a day and to turn left or right without any discussion. I stay off the freeways and have met the nicest people along the way. I once had to spend three days in Texas trying to stay ahead of heavy storms and had a blast with no care about time. When I finally got to the border with Louisiana I stayed at a hotel with a bar attached. No one would let me buy a beer once they found out about my travels. Had the best time that night.

Map out your route but leave room for those detours. Your riding ability will dictate how many miles you can comfortably travel but you won't have to worry about another rider being inconvenienced by your style. A GPS is a big help and you can pick up a hardcover Harley Road trip book as well. This has dealerships along the route in case you need mechanical help.

I ride for a couple of hours early in the morning and then stop for breakfast. I get off the bike by 6 or 7 at a hotel that has a bar/nightclub attached so I can catch a meal and drinks and don't have to ride anywhere.

I call my wife once a day to keep her apprised of my safety and forget about everything else for a couple of weeks.

Just do it.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 PM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a 12 day 5300 mile solo trip last summer and loved it. I had a general idea of a couple things I wanted to see then after that every night planned out the next days ride. You meet more people when riding solo then you do when riding with others. People seem more friendly. Whether they are intimidated by groups of bikers or whatever they often are the ones that initiate the conversation. Every night except one or two while on my trip there were bikers staying at the hotels I stayed at as well and we'd share stories of the road and where we were headed the next day.

Solo or with a group big or small, they all have there advantages but I love taking at least one trip a year solo. Often on trips that I do ride with others, I have to ride a good bit to meet up with them. I have a trip planned in a few months with friends that I'll have to ride 900 miles to hook up with them. Once at a destination sometimes it's fun to hang out with others but truth be told on the trip getting there I would just as soon go alone.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 AM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for it. I've done it many times and always look forward to the next time.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

For me, there's nothing like a solo road trip. I don't mind riding with a small group, but prefer going solo. You set your own schedule, pace, etc. It's a lot of fun.

I rode from Phoenix to Crescent City CA a year ago and from Phoenix to Antlers OK last October. I met up with others at these destinations, but the travel to/from was by myself.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Trial dog
Tourer

Just do it. Make sure your maintenance is up to date, bike in good running shape, take a cell phone (and charger) and a credit card, avoid obvious problem areas (like bad parts of major cities), maybe locate repair shops on your route (if you are prepared then the chance you need them seems to go down). You only live once - and this is it. Good luck, let us know what you decide and how it goes. Take care.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

You won't be dissapponted. Just go and enjoy and meet lots of new people

Quick Reply: Road Trip