Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Vegas - Cali trip help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vegas - Cali trip help

Hey guys, getting our early spring trip lined up and we need a little advise. We are trailering to Las Vegas and plan on spending 7 days on the bikes. Looking to do 200 - 300 miles per day, don't really have a destination other than riding the Pacific Coast Highway. We would prefer a minimum of interstate, mainly backroads, etc. Any help on roads to take and places to stay would be really appreciated.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM
VRADMAN
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

A few years ago we did a fly and ride and started in Reno. The first day we headed to Yosemite which is a must if you haven't been there. Second day we headed into NV through Vegas, Hoover dam and stayed in Kingman that night. Next day headed through Prescott on 89A (I think) into Jerome, AZ and stayed the night in Sedona (highly recommended route). Jerome is a must see place and Sedona if you have your better half (they love Sedona). From there we went to the Grand Canyon and into S. Utah (Brice Canyon). Again highly recommended route through S. Utah. After that it was just flat desert back to Reno across Highway 50. Doesn't sound like you may be going east, but in case you change your mind, its worth the trip. This year we are starting in San Francisco and heading north. I have more detailed routes if your interested let me know. Our ride covered 2200 miles in 7 days. Have fun!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Early spring is going to eliminate many rides in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,082 Likes on 12,187 Posts

Getting to the PCH from Vegas will either require some interstate or a circuitous route that will be fairly time consuming. We took the Interstate part way towards L.A. and then broke off north to Bakersfield and then west to the PCH. Our route is described around page 10 of the Road Trip on my sig.

The Interstate part did suck, but it got us to the goods north of L.A.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Getting to the PCH from Vegas will either require some interstate or a circuitous route that will be fairly time consuming. We took the Interstate part way towards L.A. and then broke off north to Bakersfield and then west to the PCH. Our route is described around page 10 of the Road Trip on my sig.

The Interstate part did suck, but it got us to the goods north of L.A.
When we did the PCH we left from vegas and tried to stay off the main highways but only having 4.5 days of riding time, we had to hit the highway some. which going across the desert back to Vegas from LA was a nice kicked back ride. Just set the cruise and threw my feet up

This is the route we ended up taking
http://mapq.st/YSX6K7

Last edited by CalypsoNotch93; 01-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

If you do Death Valley, I think that sunrise is the time to be cruising through the valley. It is surprisingly beautiful. If I wasn't going to do DV, I would consider trailering further down the road because there isn't much to see imo between Vegas and California. Might give you more time in the saddle in California.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,082 Likes on 12,187 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
If you do Death Valley, I think that sunrise is the time to be cruising through the valley. It is surprisingly beautiful. If I wasn't going to do DV, I would consider trailering further down the road because there isn't much to see imo between Vegas and California. Might give you more time in the saddle in California.
Excellent advice. If I was already committed to trailering, I would unload in Bakersfield.

Riding DV was on our list, but to do it, you have to add a day to get to the coast from Vegas imo. As such we passed.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM
AmarekA
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my trip last year(I rode Milwaukee to San Diego and back), there is essentially nothing to see except sand and broken down cars between Vegas and CA. After Victorville it gets nice though...

Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
08rking
Cruiser

As others have said, not much to see between Vegas and LA. I would skip the LA area completely if you don't want to ride on Interstates. Trailer to San Luis Obispo and pick up PCH (Hwy 1) there. Go north from there to Monterey and you will have the ocean next to you all the way up the coast. Keep north through Santa Cruz and Pacifica then you will have to go through a portion of San Francisco, after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, pick up Hwy 1 again at the Marin Headlands and follow the coast as far north as you have time for. Then east and back down through the Gold Country (Hwy 49). I think Hwy 1 is one of the greatest rides anywhere, of course I might be biased since I live here. Lots of great riding here in California.

Last edited by 08rking; 01-02-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 AM
barney depp
Stage I

i like a road trip alot, i have never been on harley davidson bt i really want to have a test ride.....
Alladsclassified

Quick Reply: Vegas - Cali trip help