Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Train rides anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 AM
BIGGINS88
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Train rides anyone?

Wanting to ride the west coast this year but I live in Indiana and after doing a 22hr iron butt to Colorado Springs this year I think riding to a train, then taking a train west seems like a better way to go. Has anyone done this? What train and where at? Was looking at taking the train from Chicago to Glacier National Park but dont know about loading the bike (can't go without that).

Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 AM
pjchamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've never done it, personally to me i would rather ride my bike out their. that to me is part of the experience. i can understand not wanting to bc after hours on a biike your body starts to hurt. but if you take your time and plan your trip it could be a lot of fun to ride it out their

Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 AM
tourman12
Tourer

How much time do you have for the trip? By the looks of your bike it seems like a pretty comfortable ride. I say forget the train,take your time& injoy your ride. I doubt it if Amtrack has room to carry a bike.The point of a long trip is the journey & the destinations. Have fun & be safe.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

seems that you are trying to cram too much into your allotted time. get off the interstate and see the country. 500 miles a day is a workable number...coming and going. obviously, you are not going to do that many miles a day while you are at your destination and sightseeing.
or you could fly to where you want to ride, and rent a bike when you get there.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Amtrak has a services from DC to FL..not available elsewhere... You can get you bike shipped...make your days better planned...if you mix the interstates and regular highways and wear earplugs and stop regularly you can get very far...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 12-28-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM
pjchamp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Amtrak has a services from DC to FL..not available elsewhere... You can get you bike shipped...make your days better planned...if you mix the interstates and regular highways and wear earplugs and stop regularly you can get very far...
yes you can the most i've done in a day was 800-900 miles riding for 12+ hours

Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM
spider01
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with Dan Connor. The whole reason you bought a bike was to ride. For what a ticket round trip for you and your bike will cost you could upgrade with suspension and seat options as well as handlebars and foot control placements.
Time is the other factor. I do long rides all the time. I did the iron *** once from central Florida to Cleveland, on an ultra classic, all fitted out to me. Stopping only for a beverage, potty and gas. Never again. I missed so much along the way. I now plan my trips by figuring the "how long". Days, weeks etc. My rule of thumb. If the distance (riding time) is four days, I plan six. If it's three weeks, I plan four. Plan your time and trip so you don't miss the trip. Last year I did ten States, New England & east coast. Planned a day and a half for each day of riding. I met so many wonderful people, had great conversations, the best food and was taken (not directed) to places tourists never see. All because I took the time to enjoy the ride. I got phone numbers and addresses from locals and invited to call and visit them if I came back again. It was a trip that pictures could never portray. Plan your trip to have the time to enjoy it, not just do it.
Spider

Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 PM
BIGGINS88
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do like to ride places and most of the time I do just trying to save time only have so much vacation time. Comfort is not an issue just rode 5000 miles in two weeks and almost 20000 this summer total. Looks like the train is out anyway. Maybe more frequent smaller trips this year. Rides to the smokies and blue ridge parkway and up to the UP are looking more likely. No more 22hr rides, thats brutal especially when 12 of its in the rain Kansas sucks!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any of the rides you mention are all great. BRP, Smokies, UP and dont forget SE Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. The Natches Trace is also nice. The information that can be gathered from this site is vast and varied. You need only ask and your questions will be answered. Your state has some fine riding also. Relax, enjoy the ride, stop often and offer your hand to those that you encounter. The locals always know the places to and NOT to go. Be willing to extend your travel time to accomodate the side trips and unexpected pleasures that come your way. As was mentioned earlier, plan your trip to include a couple of extra days. You can always ride out the remainder of your time off at or near the house. Remember, you are only one wrong turn away from your next great adventure.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,962 Likes on 19,386 Posts

" Remember, you are only one wrong turn away from your next great adventure " ... I couldn't have put it better "jay72"... Some of my most memorable rides, people and places have been the result of a "wrong turn"

Quick Reply: Train rides anyone?