Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2013 Summer Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Streetin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Summer Trip

Doing the same as many of you are probably doing...Thinking about next riding season. The summer trip we are planning is this:
Leaving southwest Minnesota and heading across South Dakota, across to Sheridan,Wy. Yes, I know. Interstate riding is boring but we can get to where we want to ride quicker. From Sheridan head thru the Big Horns on the way to Red Lodge. Up through Beartooth on the way to Kalispell, MT to visit some friends. From there take on Going to the Sun road. At St. Mary's head north to Calgary, Lake Louise, and Jasper. Then on to Edmunton before heading east to Winnipeg. At Winnipeg, we hit I-29 straight south home.
The plan is to leave some time close to July 4. What I could use some help with are ideas for hotel/motels in the Calgary area? How is riding in this area?
We rode from Thunder Bay to Niagara Falls 3 years ago so I know what I need to cross border. Just am wondering what to expect riding that far north in July.
Any opinions on our trip are welcome. Keep in mind we are two couples on two bikes making a 10 day trip.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey how long will you be in the Calgary area? The Calgary Stampede is running July 5 to 14 this year. So you can get in on some of the Stampede festivities. If you act soon you could even get tickets for the Rodeo and/or Grandstand evening show.

Hotels will be hard to get, unless you book ahead.

We have some good riding around the area, but any of the rides here pale compared to the road from Banff to Jasper, or the the higway to the sun for example.

You should take the hwy 40 from longview north through the Kananaskis country. That's a good one.

Last edited by zeus33; 12-23-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Jetlag
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
but any of the rides here pale compared to the road from Banff to Jasper
+1
Great riding thru the Rocky Mountains

Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM
sgt. slaughter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done that trip a couple of times (starting in Winnipeg, and South and around). It is a good trip, with endless Great Plains riding on both ends, and awesome mountains in the middle.

You might want to consider going North from Kalispel. The riding is way better on the 93 to Lake Louise. Calgary is just another city, really. Adjust your route to do the Sun Road from the East.

Also, the 16 from Edmonton to Winnipeg is mostly 2 lanes with trucks and towns. A lot more " scenic" than the #1 East. The route south from Edmonton to Calgary the East is probably quicker, due to higher speed limit and 4 lane divided the entire way to Winnipeg, but not very interesting.

It is a great ride, I know you will enjoy it.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Streetin
Cruiser

Just the type of info I was looking for guys. Thanks!!
Zeuss33, Right now it looks like we will be only spending 1 day at each stop. Although, we will probably have some shorter days. We have found that 500 + miles a day on the plains is not very hard to do.
With the Stampede going on, how far out(km/miles wise) do the hotels fill up?
Is going East to West the best route for Going to the Sun road?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
sgt. slaughter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either East or West on Going to the Sun Road is great ride. North from St. Mary's to Calgary is a not in the mountains, only the foothills. Going up the West side of the Divide is some of the best mountain scenery around. Calgary to Lake Louise is divided highway all the way, too.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetin
Just the type of info I was looking for guys. Thanks!!
Zeuss33, Right now it looks like we will be only spending 1 day at each stop. Although, we will probably have some shorter days. We have found that 500 + miles a day on the plains is not very hard to do.
With the Stampede going on, how far out(km/miles wise) do the hotels fill up?
Is going East to West the best route for Going to the Sun road?

Unless you are planning to come to Calgary to see the Stampede Rodeo then you should avoid the area. Calgary is a huge city, on the praries, nothing too much different than hundreds of other cities.

Like others have said, try doing the Going to the Sun from the East to West. Then from Whitefish go north to Canada, gain the hwy 95 all the way to Radium, switch to 93 to Banff park, then go north to Jasper. That would be an awesome route.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Streetin
Cruiser

What started as a 12 day trip is now ten. I like the look of hwy 40 and by-passing Calgary when it is so busy. Thanks for the help guys.
Any suggestions for a hotel in the Banff/Lake Louise area?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetin
What started as a 12 day trip is now ten. I like the look of hwy 40 and by-passing Calgary when it is so busy. Thanks for the help guys.
Any suggestions for a hotel in the Banff/Lake Louise area?

There are plenty of hotels in Banff and Louise. I would just go on to expedia.ca (or your favorite travel site) and book one that met your budget.

If you feel like dropping a few hundred for a night, consider the Banff Springs...

Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

You are just north of me 40 miles. I am in Sioux Center. Anyways, I have not been in Canada, but I do know that the Big Horns, Beartooth, and Glacier will be very hard to beat for scenery

Quick Reply: 2013 Summer Trip