Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bob and Cheryl do Door County WI

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts
Default Bob and Cheryl do Door County WI

It's a rainy night in Milwaukee and I'm sorting pics from our riding season. I came across a fall ride we did a couple weeks before we rode down to Daytona Biketoberfest. It wasn't a big adventure - just a pleasant little getaway that I wanted to share with a little backround and pics.

The trip was to be a round lake Michigan trip. We left Milwaukee around 11am and, after having lunch at Doc's Harley, made it as far as Gladstone where we stayed at the Terrace Bay Inn and Suites. The room cost us about $75 and they were clean enough with a nice view of the lake. But, the restaurant was incredible. For cheap money we had the best Fillets I've have ever had and plenty of Brandy Old Fashions (it's Wisconsin hey).

The next day it was a chilly foggy morning and storms were moving in from the east. A hazy view.

We decided to head back. It seemed like we were doomed to hit bad weather and it was cold. Bundling up for the ride back.

We made for Escanaba for coffee at McDonalds. Sitting there drinking the not so bad brew, we discussed options. Going home just didn't sound appealing. Especially after going to all the trouble to arrange a dog sitter. We decided to head to Door County. Worse come to worse we would just lay over in some nice digs and have a nice quiet weekend together.

The ride back down.

We timed our arrival to Marinette to coincide with lunch time. Our favorite place to eat in this area is Mickey Lu's BBQ. Best damn burgers in 100 miles.

The temps climbed and by the time we were done eating it was warm enough to ditch a few layers and really start enjoying the ride. We both hoped the weather would hold for the day.

More random pics of our ride to the Door

We worked our way up hwy 42 and decided to find a place in Fish Creek. It's one of those nice bayside towns that evokes images of fishing boats and men wearing yellow rubber clothing - maybe a peg leg thrown in for good measure.

Well.....maybe a wealthy guy wearing a Polo shirt and boat shoes anyway.

Regardless, it's a very nice place to hang out for a while.

Because we're winging it we don't have a reservation anywhere. I'm trying to score a deal on my mobile office.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Nice pics. Looks like fun. Glad to see Mickey Lus is still there. We used to go there in the 80s.
Was that the last weekend in September? We rode up to Bayfield that weekend and it was peak leaves.

Last edited by Ron750; 12-04-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice pics,looks like you had a great time.Thanks for posting,love to see other areas of this great country.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Pics.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bob, was wondering when your next ride report might hits these pages. Always ready to read and admire the fine writing that you do. There seems to be quite a few of us that are envious of you and Cheryl and the rides that you take. You quite admirably take us with you from the moment you leave home to the often unwelcome return ride. Not that I don't like the reports, I just don't want them to end. Thanks, Jay

Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great pictures and info as usual. We are planning trip around Lake Michigan next summer and this gives us more ideas.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

G-Mare, Nevada rode a great route around the lake. I've made that ride as well and have a great route. My only advice, stay the HE** out of Chicago. Go around. Go WAY around. They're nuts. 6 lanes of traffic and a toll booth in the far right hand lane at 80 MPH on I-294. You really think that I stopped. The sign at the toll booths said I-PASS and that is exactly what I did, I PASSED right thru them and didn't pay. Cost me in the long run, but I think that it was worth the extra bucks.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

All - thanks for the compliments. s always - much appreciated.

Jay - I agree. Chicago is a pain to drive through, let alone ride. We didn't make it around the lake this time because of storms so Chicago was a non-issue. The last time I did a lake loop we cut it short by taking the ferry. I can deal with the fact that it wasn't a true lake loop. I've seen Gary plenty enough for a lifetime.

If you do choose to ride through Chicago, you would be wise to make sure it's not anywhere near rush hour (which is really hours).

Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Sitting on the mobile office I went to my usual source for local lodging - Trip Adviser. I've never had a bad room using them as a reference. My search turned up Homestead Suites, which featured rooms with decks, hot tubs, and fireplaces, all within walking distance to shops and restaurants - perfect! And considering we were in peak Fall season, the room rate (about $100) wasn't too bad.

Glam shot out front of the Homestead Suites

We checked in a dumped a load of gear and clothing to go for a short tour of the local wineries. Yes - Wisconsin has wineries. Vinyards? Not so much. We headed to Stone's throw about 10 miles away and did a wine tasting. It's a nice little winery out in the country with a relaxed atmosphere. The owner was on hand to answer questions. It turns out that the grapes are sourced from California and Washington and processed in Door County. Either way, the wine was good.

Because it was Fall the sun sets early and the temps with it. We had shed the jackets back at the hotel so it was time to get back. It was also getting near dinner time so we reserved a table at the Whistling Swan a few blocks down the road. I had heard it was a nice place to eat. But, I would give it a so-so rating. The sauces were heavy handed and my fish was over cooked. Factor in high prices and I can not recommend the Whistling Swan.

Despite the mediocre meal (which was totally offset by the awesome Mickey Lu burgers), it was a fantastic day of riding and sight seeing. We walked back to the room, lit a fire, and enjoyed a nice bottle of wine (acquired earlier) on our porch in unseasonably warm temps and reflected on the day.

Tomorrow - Peninsula state park and a ride around the Door. (more pics than words )

Last edited by nevada72; 12-05-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ron750
Nice pics. Looks like fun. Glad to see Mickey Lus is still there. We used to go there in the 80s.
Was that the last weekend in September? We rode up to Bayfield that weekend and it was peak leaves.
Yep = Mickey Lu's is alive and well. Same owner, same grill, same buttery goodness. .

We were up there mid week after that weekend. We were considering riding up to Ashland and then over to Copper Harbor but the weather patterns sent us east. Lookes like the colors were as good by you as they were by us. One of the best times to be in Wisconsin imo.

Originally Posted by jay72
Bob, was wondering when your next ride report might hits these pages. Always ready to read and admire the fine writing that you do. There seems to be quite a few of us that are envious of you and Cheryl and the rides that you take. You quite admirably take us with you from the moment you leave home to the often unwelcome return ride. Not that I don't like the reports, I just don't want them to end. Thanks, Jay
Thanks Jay! This report is more of a mini travelogue for those considering Door county. I'll save the long winded road report for deep winter.

Last edited by nevada72; 12-05-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Bob and Cheryl do Door County WI