Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bob and Cheryl do Door County WI

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good - look forward to more pics/comments.

RIDE ON.........

Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the posting and as usual........well done!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

The next morning greeted us with more unseasonably warm weather. We put on our various layers in preparation for a day on the road. But, when we got to the bike, it was sunny and warm - mid 60s. We went back to the room and ditched the long underwear and one sweater.

Our plan was flexible - if the weather held, we would ride around Door County some more. If it turned bad, straight home. We knew foul weather was moving in, but when? We decided to loop through Peninsula State park and see what the day brought us.

The roads through the park are narrow and tree lined - very pretty.

There's a tower one can climb to get a great view of the lake and surrounding area. We pulled over to have a look. We were about to start up the narrow stairs when we saw a man helping an elderly woman down the steps. She was clearly in distress and breathing heavily. The man didn't seem too worried so we waited for them to come down and made ready in case she needed help. As she drew nearer she stopped and looked at us both with a wide eyed stare and heavy breathing. We thought she was going to ask us for help. But instead she exclaimed "What a beautiful motorcycle!" We were flabbergasted. She looked like she was taking her last breath. We figured she was going to say "Call an ambulance!", not a compliment of our bike! She went on to say how lucky we were that we got to ride such a pretty motorcycle on such a beautiful day. It was really something to hear this and so unexpected. We, of course, agreed that we were indeed, very lucky to be out and about on that day. She and her man helper hobbled down the last few steps and bid us farewell. That moment was not lost on us and we remarked on her perspective throughout the day. We always appreciate our situation to varying degrees. But with her help, we appreciated more than ever that day.

I want to take the time to say that there are many reasons we ride. We love being on the bike and the feel of rolling down the road. We love the adventure and the unknown - seeing what lays around the next curve. We love the scenery and grandeur of our beautiful country. But, the most memorable moments of our trips are always about the people we meet. Sometimes it's just a few seconds. Other times, longer. But the people we meet make the trip and make for the best memories. Just like that very nice lady mentioned above, we never forget a soul we've met on the road.

Last edited by nevada72; 12-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I want to take the time to say that there are many reasons we ride. We love being on the bike and the feel of rolling down the road. We love the adventure and the unknown - seeing what lays around the next curve. We love the scenery and grandeur of our beautiful country. But, the most memorable moments of our trips are always about the people we meet. Sometimes it's just a few seconds. Other times, longer. But the people we meet make the trip and make for the best memories. Just like that very nice lady mentioned above, we never forget a soul we've met on the road.
I concur.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
I concur.
Happy Holidays Joe

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our plan is to go in mid-June and take our time too, making stops if something seems interesterig, doing about 300 miles a day. We're meeting another couple from Ft Wayne area so starting on the MI side. Anyone know if it's worth the time to ride Rt 22 north of Traverse City to Northpoint, MI? Maps shows green dotes, so someone thinks it's scenic.

We want to ride the Tunnel of Trees and a dinner stop at Legs Inn at Cross Village, MI and read about their cabins but no review on Trip Advisor (yep, Nevada, love it too..) or other sites, anyone know if they are ok? Read somewhere they have beautiful sunsets.

We crossed the Mac Bridge in Aug '11 on a large group ride, I took my profile picture one morning about 8:30, 20-30 minutes west of St Ignace on Rt 2. I was trying to get the white caps and realized I could get our shadow in it too.

Time pemitting would like to stop by HD Museum.

Agree with all of the Chicago comments, best trip there was on the train! DH has a IPass for work so can use if we have too or go west then south to miss Chicago. Have looked at the ferry but seems pricey, but it looks fun.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Graymare - I've done M-22 and it's very nice. Reminds me a bit of Door County. Worth the ride I would say. Leg's restaurant I can vouch for - Fantastic and yes, great sunsets if it's clear. I've been interested in booking a cabin, but haven't so far. I hear they're very basic. The downside is that Leg's isn't really in a town so when you're there, you're there, if you know what I mean. Petoskey is the next town south and it's very nice, with more to see and do within a walk from the hotel. The Tunnel of Trees is between Petoskey and Legs. Nice ride, but maybe not as great as the hype. I would do it to say I've done it.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

We climbed the stairs to see the sights. Cheryl was a little apprehensive. Apparently she has a minor fear of heights, unlike me who is fearless (yeah - right). Okay.....sometimes I'm fearless. Other times I can't climb a ladder to hang a Christmas Wreath. It seems to vary from day to day. But this day I was fearless and wanted to get some shots from the top!

At the top there were a few people taking in the view. They asked us to take their picture, which we did, and they happily reciprocated.

It was turning into a beautiful day and the view in all directions was spectacular.

It's a ways down

That elderly lady must have been a real eagle eye!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 PM
AflacEmery
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics!...Love the color on the trees.

Can't wait till next year when we go on another road trip. Counting down the days...

Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

After getting a good deal of fresh air we were getting hungry. And let's not forget that caffeine! So far, so good on the weather, so we figured we would head north on 42 and find some breakfast. Back on the bike, we headed out of Peninsula State Park and towards Ephraim where we figured we would score some eats and joe. As per usual, I had a very defined idea as far as what I wanted.......in a vague way. It had to be a nice, cafe style place with red plaid tablecloths, croissants, and the best coffee in the world. You may be surprised to hear that I am often disappointed when reality conflicts with fantasy and we end up eating an Egg McMuffin in a parking lot. But this time was different. As if Door County read my mind - there it was. A small white cottage like setting and the promise of breakfast and great coffee. It had the table clothes, friendly staff, amazing omelettes and freshly made warm scones (Who wants a croissant when you can have a warm scone!) The coffee was terrific as well. Because it was so nice out, we chose to dine on the patio. We had found just the perfect breakfast spot! Of course I can't remember the name of the place (!!!), but I'll give you pictorial clues so you can find it.

Cheryl points at the first clue

A pretty church

Ok.....that was the only clue. But Ephraim is very small and I know you'll find it.

We decide to keep moving north. I know we'll chance getting rained on because a system is moving up from the south. It's due to hit Milwaukee around mid afternoon. If we leave now we will beat it. But, what's an adventure without some risk? We make for Gills Rock which is at the northern tip of Door County.

Each year I take my kids, who aren't really kids anymore, up to Gil's Rock to hop the ferry to Washington Island. There we bicycle the island. It's a great time. There's a road that leads to the ferry that I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle on because it's so curvy and has whoop-de-doos, which incidentally are great for making children (even older ones) shriek when taken at speed in a mini van.

I think I got like 3 feet of air on this one in the Grand Caravan one year!

The Door County Dragon!

The sad truth is that it's a lot more fun in a minivan. The curves are so tight that on a motorcycle you can basically run through this stretch in a straight line and still not cross the double yellow. Sure, I could try to make it more fun, but I hate to over-ride a road just to get a thrill.

At the end of the road is the ferry.

I briefly considered boarding and doing a circle tour of Washington Island, but that would be a commitment of at least 2 more hours. More like 4 hours really. That would put us into Milwaukee pretty late so we opted out. Plus both of us had been there many times.

It was time to head back. It was actually starting to get cool out even though it was before noon. I decided to take the lake side back - hwy 57, for some variety. By the time we got to Bailey's Harbor it was getting very blustery. Sometimes the wind would hit us broadside so hard it would threaten to push us off our lane. The clouds rolled in making the dropping temps feel even colder. We pulled over and added a few layers.

We made for Sturgeon Bay and at this point I had to decide if we should slab it home (faster) or take the county roads (more scenic/hopefully less windy). I opted for scenic route because, what the heck, might as well really push the envelope. We worked our way south on S towards Algoma, the first town on our way back. You don't need to be a Meteorologist to know that foul weather is on it's way in.

Quick Reply: Bob and Cheryl do Door County WI