Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a roadtrip for next summer. Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 PM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Planning a roadtrip for next summer. Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan? Thoughts?

Edit - See Post -#40 before replying please! Has updated info from the almost two year old original post!

The wife and I are planning a 7-9 day road trip for next summer. Starting point would be the far SW edge of Chicagoland, basically where I-80 and I-55 meet. I don't want anything terribly grueling. One, I want to take time to see the sites and enjoy the scenery without feeling we need to hurry to the next destination. Two, I know if we are on the bike eight hours a day every day, her enjoyment of the trip will diminish significantly. So I'm thinking realistically we are looking for something averaging around 200-300 miles per day.

I plotted out a few destinations from our area, and talked to a few buddies. One idea we are strongly considering is riding around Lake Michigan. Considering we would be heading fairly far north, we'd probably plan for July or August.

We would circle around Chicagoland to either Milwaukee area, or maybe as far as either Green Bay, Appleton, or Door County for day one. We have friends in the Appleton area, so we might spend a bit of time with them and not do as much mileage on day two. Maybe Marinette, Escanaba, or Iron Mountain as a final stop. On day three maybe head through Sault Ste Marie to Sudbury, ON, just so part of our ride includes Canada. Day four would be back around and down to Mackinac Island. Spend part of day five going to the island and then head down through Petoskey to Traverse City. Day six could get us down to New Buffalo, MI. Day seven head home.

Those are pretty short days on the bike, so we'd have time for little side trips, or time to stop at local places if we wanted. There is also the flexibility of throwing an extra day in at some of those places. We could always spend an extra day in Door County, or in the UP, or in Traverse City, based on weather and what we felt like doing.

Has anyone here done a trip like that and have any insights or feedback they'd like to offer? Roads to definitely take or not take? Attractions not to be missed? Anyone have any other trips that would have decent scenery and could be done in a 1200-1700 round trip from the SW edge of Chicagoland that they'd like to suggest instead of this?

Last edited by reacher; 06-04-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Craneman1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did that one. We started 80e to 94e to 31/196. All 31 from there. Make reservations for any night you don't plan to sleep in a parking lot from Traverse to the bridge. Everything, including camp grounds are booked weekends July through August. We're thinking of heading up to Milwaukee next time and take the ferry across then pick up 31 north. It should be fun but they will cancel a crossing in a heart beat if the weather sours, contingency would then be clockwise with possible ferry back to Milwaukee from the Michigan side.

Last edited by Craneman1; 10-14-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,535 Likes on 6,274 Posts

As long as you stay on the 2 lanes you can't help having a blast. Door County is beautiful, but touristy. There are many threads on this tour, if you do a search.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM
itellya
Advanced

I have done the trip twice in the last couple of years. Lots of great roads to cruise on. If you need some help with locations or routes to take let me know via email and I can provide you with the ones I took. I should be headig back to Milwaukee next September

Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Haywired
Road Master

When you get to the north end of Lake Michigan I would suggest headin for the south shore of Lake Superior. Porcupine Mountains, Copper harbor, Marquettge, Munising, Pictured Rocks, Tequamenon Falls, Whitefish Point and the Soo IMHO. Lots more to see up there than the north end of Lake Michigan IMHO. Been to both and enjoy Lake Superior much more.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys.

As the time gets closer, I may take you up on that offer itellya, thank you.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:39 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Last Summer,from Chicago on Friday and took 4 days just to do the coast of Mi.and into the UP.Then we came back thru MI.Skiped Wisco.Coast of Mi.is fabulous!! Alot to see and some Great folks...The U.P.,...Well alot of nothin but long ,flat roads.
If you are into taking your time..Roads along the lake in Mi. are awesome.There is a section along the lake called "Tunnel of Trees" along the north coast.Im sure someone will give more impute on the area.
The reason we skipped Wisco is i have been up there alot but Mi. not so much.
Great time...I'll be back soon... Happy Trails... Tim..
P.S. did you do a search?Before i left i got a lot of info from guys old posts... I know its been said but places to stay fill fast so you have to make reservations. When we left it was a late planned trip so i found a few places to stay inland..away from the crowd and they were perfect as we got in late,checked in,got dinner and called it a day early as we got up early to start the day.

Last edited by riteway; 10-14-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts

If you're coming through Sault Ste. Marie you should consider going north along Lake Superior to Wawa, ON rather than Sudbury. Much more scenic and better riding roads.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Pix
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 140 Posts

I would avoid door county on the weekends, way too many tourists.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

If you go into the lower peninsula of Michigan, you'll want to consider riding the "tunnel of trees" north of Harbor Springs on M-119. Going north, after the tunnel of trees, you'll come to Cross Village. There you'll find Legs Inn, a unique restaurant/bar that overlooks Lake Michigan. It's a cool place. Great food, spirits and scenery. Check it out.

The following users liked this post:
anglerman52 (06-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Planning a roadtrip for next summer. Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan? Thoughts?