Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a roadtrip for next summer. Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We did this trip out of Ohio 2 years ago. We spent the first night someplace close to Mighigan International Speedway then we made our way to Ludington and stayed overnight with a friend. Got into Ludington fairly early and went to Irons, MI to a flea roast and ox market. The fleas were good but the oxen were too big to haul on the bikes. Also made our way that afternoon to Baldwin and had icecream at Joneses Icecream shop. Only place that I've ever seen toasted coconut icecream. Was mighty tastey. Then set out north on 31 to manistee where we got on Michigan 22 and road that road around the thumb back to 31 @ Traverse City. Stayed on 31 thru Charleviox to harbor Springs. Don't forget to stop in Petoskey to look for the petoskey stones, we found a couple. From Harbor Springs take Michigan 119 to Leggs Inn then east on a county road called West Levering Rd. to I-75 North. Get a whole handful of bars when you cross the bridge, the wind and the grates make it kinda tricky. The wife says that I didn't shut up all the way across. Geuss it kept my mind off the grates. Look down thru the grates as you cross, at a certain speed, it appears that you have nothing beneath your bike as you travel. From there north on I-75 to MI 28 West to 123 north. Go on over to Tahquamenon Falls and visit both the sites. I think that you can also get to White Fish Point from there. From there west on 123 back to MI 28 to Munising. make sure you spend a few extra bucks and take the boat tour of Picture Rocks. The day we were ther the boat captain said the water was, as he put it, " A bit lumpy." We went to the upper deck and were fine but those that stayed in the lower cabin were for the most part chumming for fish. Not a pretty sight. So the captain cut the trip short and we were refunded our money. I woud go again. From there we made our way south thru Gladstone and Escanaba, thru Menominee to Milwaukee where we took in the HD Museum. The security guys were sure glad to see us leave. we kept leaning over the exhibits and that is the FIRST thing they tell you NOT to do. But we did and the fellow followed us into every building that we went into. He was a good Joe cause he told us places to go that most don't get to see. From there we went thru your glorious Chicago on I-94 and I-294. Me being from Ohio, I didn't realize that you had to stop and throw money at a toll booth every so often. I just looked up and saw the I-PASS sign and that is exactly what I did. I passed right thru every one I came to. When we got to Gary, Indianna we had to stop for gas and one of the guys that was with ustold me that I had quite a set of nads and then explained that I was supposed to pay at each of those places. The rest of the trip was mostly uneventful but I did want to share the loop that we chose. Happy planning.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

South of Escanaba be sure to stop for a cheeseburger at "Breezy Point" burger joint.
You will be glad you did.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love this thread as we are planning the same type of trip next June. Has anyone rode the ferry across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee to Muskegon? Thinking that might a good solution to avoid Chicago.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When we came thru, we attempted to take the Lake Express back over to Michigan. We called three days in advance but all spots for bikes were taken so we had to do the I-94 & I-294 route. Next time, I don't give a crap if I have to 1000 miles out of the way, I'll never go thru Chicago again on a bike, maybe a tank but not a bike. Back to the ferry, make your plans well in advance, be on time and you might want to take your own tie-down straps as I was told the steraps provided are kinda grungy. There is a regular ferry but it is much slower. There was talk at one time about the older ferry shutting down. Might want to keep that in mind. BTW, if you blast thru the toll stops as we did, you can go online and pay the toll. It will cost you a few extra bucks, but my life was worth it. You have to pay the most expensive toll for everyone that you missed, 'bout 12 bucks per bike.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by one-up
If you go into the lower peninsula of Michigan, you'll want to consider riding the "tunnel of trees" north of Harbor Springs on M-119. Going north, after the tunnel of trees, you'll come to Cross Village. There you'll find Legs Inn, a unique restaurant/bar that overlooks Lake Michigan. It's a cool place. Great food, spirits and scenery. Check it out.
YES..."Legs Inn" A MUST DO!!! Great food.. Itd just as you come out of tunnel of trees.They had a samplier platter that was incredible!!! Dont forget your camera,,, :-)

Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 PM
ranger6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you can take the lake express or the badger ferry to and from Wisconsin/ muskegon MI., keep in mind in july muskegon bike time bike rally is going. not sure the date. the tunnel of trees are a must.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DH has an I-Pass for the tolls that we take with us. A few years ago we went thru Chicago in a pickup and still remember that trip!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few pics from last summers trip.

ride on........

Attached Thumbnails Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00357-20110617-1310.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00362-20110618-1246.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00370-20110619-1219.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00374-20110619-1232.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00375-20110619-1326.jpg  

Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain

And a few more...

Attached Thumbnails Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00378-20110619-1436.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00380-20110619-1614.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00381-20110619-1615.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00387-20110619-1624.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00393-20110621-1232.jpg  

Old 10-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain

And finally............

Attached Thumbnails Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-img00395-20110621-1858.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-michigan-trip-2011-027.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-michigan-trip-2011-079.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-michigan-trip-2011-228.jpg   Planning a roadtrip for next summer.  Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan?  Thoughts?-michigan-trip-2011-100.jpg  

Quick Reply: Planning a roadtrip for next summer. Maybe a loop around Lake Michigan? Thoughts?