Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2013 Northeast

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 AM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2013 Northeast

Im starting to think about 2013 trip. 5 riders, no passengers, like curvy roads, good food and drink at the end of the night. The ideal situation would be staying at the same place for 4 or so nights venturing out for day rides. For those of you that know the northeast (up state NY, Vermont, Maine) and could give some advice of roads or biker friendly places to stay I thank you in advance.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Spend a couple of nights here where I am ---- Wellsboro PA. Lots of bikers stay here, and use this as headquarters! It's right in the center of PA, but about 20 miles south of the upstate NY border. Great riding here. Can map you some great daytrips around NW PA, and upstate NY. Maybe a night or 2 up near Lake Placid NY, and can take the ferry across Lake Champlain, into VT. Nice country up there too.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know of many specific places to stay but coming through NY you have the Adirondacks and Lake George which are great. In NH you have the White Mountain National Forest with some great riding through RT 112 which is also known as the Kancamagus Highway with lots of great sites, especially in the fall when the leaves turn. In NH you also have Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch in the northern White Mtns. And you also have Mount Washington which is spectacular from the top but can have major climate changes. As for eating in NH if you are anywhere near Squam lake in the Holderness/Ashland/Plymouth area you have to eat at The Italian Farmhouse or The Common Man. Always great meals there. If you get into Southern Maine I would definitely go to the Kittery Trading Post and then take route 1A ( Ocean Blvd ) into Portsmouth NH and south into Hampton and Salisbury. Great twisties along the ocean with lots of great pull offs and sites. It's a short ride but very scenic

Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribing to this thread. Planning a trip to the same area. Not sure how many riders yet. Working on that now. Four of us did our 2012 trip from Orlando to the Grand Canyon. Difference for us is wives flew in to meet us in Vegas, rode the Canyons and things.

Keep suggestions coming, please. What's the best time of year for temp and rainfall? Planning on late May into the beginning of June right now. Is there a better time?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Havanacigar
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Doublerunner said...some of the best roads and sights in the northeast!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know much about Geezer's specific area of PA nor where folks are starting from but if he can get ya to Rt 30 in NY at it's start follow that up to Rt 3 to 86 and stop in Lake Placid then finish 30 North to Rt 11 NY East to Rt 2 across Champlain and across the Islands, then take a hop on Interstate 89 and stay around Waterbury Vt (or Stowe). Follow Rt 100 to Rt 108 over Smugglers Notch, then 15 E to 100C and back onto 100 N until it ends. Take Rt 105 or Rt 111 in Newport Vt (can be confusing, when you get to Newport you can ask someone if need be) to Island Pond Vt and from there, Route 105 to Rt 3 south in NH until you reach Rt 302. Take 302 East through Crawford Notch and then you can go onto 16 N to Pinkham Notch or Bear Notch Road in Bartlett to the Rt 112 Kangamangus Highway. For cruising scenery take a right (West) off Bear Notch and follow into Lincoln NH. Probably time for another overnight stop here. Options from here like heading over to NewFound lake via 112 W (with maybe a quick spin up through Franconia Notch and back to 112) to 11B to Rt 25S/E to 3A S then Rt 104 E over to Lake Winni onto Rt 3N to Meredith and East on 25. Turn South at 109 to Wolfeboro and left on 109 in the middle of Wolfeboro and follow 109 it will cross Rt 16 until 153N at Poore People's Pub Sanbornville where you go North and follow all the way back to West Side Rd in Conway (basically 153 becomes West Side then bear right on River Road and over to Rt 16 just above N Conway unless you like to shop. Follow Rt 16 N and you can follow this all the way up NH or just through Pinkham Notch and take Rt 2 E to Maine. Anyway, take a look at this route on a map and see if you can follow it, I can give you sight seeing stops eating/sleeping places (though things do tend to change from time to time) etc if interested. These are some long but scenic rides and can be chopped down or added to as need be. This is my home area and we love it. Note, New England roads can range from perfect to hacked up due to all the winter plowing. I rode all of these in the past year and most are in good shape with some areas in need of attention. This would give you a nice feel for what we have in the Northeast in PA, NY, VT and NH (and then there is Maine )

Old 12-27-2012, 07:01 PM
davedyna
Tourer

Oh, on the weather, there is definitely a better time than May-June as it can rain fairly often then (good riding time but not if you have no flexibility on your timeline) Mid July is good but can be hot or, fall is beautiful up here but definitely do mid week or you will find every slow driver in the country peeping at the leaves.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 AM
davedyna
Tourer

OK, missed the part about staying in one place. I would suggest, Lincoln or Littleton NH. Should say Easy to VT, Maine and NH a bit more stretch to NY but doable. NEVER drink and type!! Ditto on the Private messaging or post questions here -- omaho5, myself and others will take care of ya

Last edited by davedyna; 01-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM
omaho5
Road Master

You fellows can PM me as I ive in Central NH and ride much in the areas of Northern NH, Vt and Central Maine.
Anywhere in NH, other than Ma-NH border, and Vt will be great.
Plan it around Bike Week and have some fun.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM
jkwalmer
Stage III

Grayghost inn VT , Nice,good home base stayed last June

Quick Reply: 2013 Northeast