Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2013 Northeast

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davedyna
Yep, what Csousanh said. In North Conway, Horsefeathers and Delaneys Hole in the Wall are good eateries but there are many others. Got to ping us with more details...
I couldn't agree more. Some of the best riding in New England is around North Conway & Lincoln, New Hampshire. I'd stay at one of the many hotels in N. Conway, lots to eat there too.

The riding is amazing; NH Rt 112/Kankamagus, Bear Notch Road over to Crawford Notch Road (Rt 302), ride up through Pinkham Notch (Rt 16) and up Mt Washington's auto road. The scenery is amazing. Then run all those roads again riding the opposite direction and all new views open up for you.This area is easily worth a few days of your time, but here's a basic day trip I put together.
Link: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...ches-tour.html

Enjoy,
JR

Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Plow Jockey
Novice

Originally Posted by JR-Boston
I couldn't agree more. Some of the best riding in New England is around North Conway & Lincoln, New Hampshire. I'd stay at one of the many hotels in N. Conway, lots to eat there too.

The riding is amazing; NH Rt 112/Kankamagus, Bear Notch Road over to Crawford Notch Road (Rt 302), ride up through Pinkham Notch (Rt 16) and up Mt Washington's auto road. The scenery is amazing. Then run all those roads again riding the opposite direction and all new views open up for you.This area is easily worth a few days of your time, but here's a basic day trip I put together.
Link: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...ches-tour.html

Enjoy,
JR
JR, Why stop at Pinkham notch? Keep heading north and go up in Errol,NH in 13 mile woods. Beautiful road with I think new pavement. The wildlife is every where,be careful. You could loop back on Rt. 26 and back into Rumford ,Maine and Rt. 2 or stay on Rt. 16 to Rangely,Maine.
The list is endless for great riding in the Great Northwoods of northern New England.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Friday55
Road Master

You can use weather.com to get an idea of the weather conditions for your trip. Put in a city or zipcode. Somewhere on the page you will find a button to select "monthly forcast". On the next page you will find a button for "averages". You will find average hi and lo temp plus average precipitation. You can also display record high and low temps.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wow

Thanks to all the contributers. Keep em coming, I'm reading and making notes. The trip is solid for August 5-15. I know, not the original June but with the northeast it may be better weather. I really do appreciate all your replys. I've got tons of roads and trips from your suggestions. Now, to just settle on where we will stay to venture out/back to everyday as we like to have a nest for a few days so we aren't riding fully packed/loaded up.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 AM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcso
Im starting to think about 2013 trip. 5 riders, no passengers, like curvy roads, good food and drink at the end of the night. The ideal situation would be staying at the same place for 4 or so nights venturing out for day rides. For those of you that know the northeast (up state NY, Vermont, Maine) and could give some advice of roads or biker friendly places to stay I thank you in advance.
Originally Posted by mcso
Thanks to all the contributers. Keep em coming, I'm reading and making notes. The trip is solid for August 5-15. I know, not the original June but with the northeast it may be better weather. I really do appreciate all your replys. I've got tons of roads and trips from your suggestions. Now, to just settle on where we will stay to venture out/back to everyday as we like to have a nest for a few days so we aren't riding fully packed/loaded up.

I will be touring New England (my old stomping grounds) this Summer/2013, including; Cape Cod (Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket via Woods Hole or HyannisPort) and Western (Berkshires) as well as coastal Massachusetts, rural/North Eastern Connecticut, coastal/in-upland (including Mt. Washington) New Hampshire, major segments of the Maine coast, Vermont throughout the Connecticut River Valley (Mt.Ascutney/Burke Mountain) and N-S Route 100 to Canada… I will depart Central Florida heading North in early July spending some time touring in South Eastern Tennessee (Chattanooga/Sequatchie Valley/BO-Dunlap) before arriving in New England and beginning my tour in late July/early August thru late September (including 'off-season'/after Labor Day [I can/will extend into leaf-peeping-October if necessary/requested])… Portsmouth, NH will be my main BO/Base-Of-Operations... I have lived-in/toured the country/back-roads/grass-roots of New England EXTENSIVELY on several/different bikes over my lifetime and I will be revisiting the best-of-the-best... I am willing to share some of my time/resources but I am not a crowd type of person, preferring small groups(2-5 [passenger-less] bikes) of adult/fun-loving/seasoned/flexible/responsible/way-cool riders to hang/ride WITH... I specialize in bang-for-the-buck (economy/efficiency), know how to have a great time while minimizing the risks and can call upon seasoned/family/friends/local riders for help if needed... I prolly will NOT be camping but will be so-prepared should the right conditions/situation/group/location jive... Several of my NE rider-contacts-resources are camping aficionado’s (including an Eagle Scout) if that is your bag... Many suggestions on this forum/thread thus-far are good especially the July-August-September time-frame… Perhaps our paths will mesh/cross…

Past extra-curricular activities enroute have included expeditions such as; all you can eat lobster/pot hauling, mountain/Appalachian Trail hiking, sailplane/glider rides/lessons, snorkeling/SCUBA-diving, craft beer/ale tasting, deep-sea sport fishing (sharks/tuna/ground-fish[cod/haddock/halibut]), live music venues/entertainment, plays/gardens/historical tours, camping/swimming, etc…

New England can be a popular Summer-time vacation destination and a few places can be 'busy' at certain times... However, the key is to know what events to attend/skip, where/when to 'go-for-it', and most important, the 'local/back' roads... It would be a sham/shame to miss-out of the adventure/thrill because YOU didn't know the ropes/routes... Having lived/toured NE all my life it is still VERY doable, best bang-for-your-buck, and a lot of fun, even with the popularity, especially when YOU/I 'know-the-drill'...

PM for SERIOUS inquiries…

Last edited by user_1534GD; 06-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

August will be a great time here in the Northeast. I would recommend staying away from the coastal roads and certainly Cape Cod, MA. The coastal roads get VERY crowded this time of year. You won't go wrong touring NH, ME or VT. You can order small booklets on-line for each of these states, just Google "Ride Maine" or NH, or VT. these booklets outline some great rides in each State and have recommendations for lodging etc. We stayed at the Stowe Motel in Stowe, VT last Fall and had some superb day rides in that area, ditto for Conway, NH. Also, in Western ME it is an easy shot and great riding to go up into Quebec province for a slightly different experience. I can highly recommend a book "Motorcycle Journeys through New England". This book outlines several great trips to do just what you are looking for: spending several nights in one place and doing day rides. It can be ordered form Amazon.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As many of indicated, just PM us. We ride here locally and can give you updates once the ride season opens up again (March or April usually for most of us). PM me and I will work with you on route planning and possible places to stay and if I am not sure of something, we can go to the next guy on the thread etc. I think all of us can give you the data you require for NE/NY riding.

Also, give us details on what you like for daily distances/hours in the saddle etc. You may want to consider a couple or three nests dependent on your riding versus tourism plan. Three or so nights per nest. One in Maine, NH one in VT/NY

Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Csousanh
Advanced

The riding season is upon us, & laconia is right around the corner. maybe I'll see u on the road. pm if u need help or support. Enjoy!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Spend a couple of nights here where I am ---- Wellsboro PA. Lots of bikers stay here, and use this as headquarters! It's right in the center of PA, but about 20 miles south of the upstate NY border. Great riding here. Can map you some great daytrips around NW PA, and upstate NY. Maybe a night or 2 up near Lake Placid NY, and can take the ferry across Lake Champlain, into VT. Nice country up there too.
Great advice.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Csousanh
Advanced
Default Two spots to make camp make sense

Originally Posted by davedyna
You may want to consider a couple or three nests dependent on your riding versus tourism plan. Three or so nights per nest. One in Maine, NH one in VT/NY
I lived in VT for a while before moving to NH and I agree, spending some time camped out in VT/NY and riding that area first then get a spot in NH and explore Me too. I like the Burlington or Killington areas. Great riding, close to NY (Lake George and Plattsburg) and good food and bars. Burlington is a great college town busy all year, and Killington is a ski town so it will be a little less crowded that time of year (so rates are cheaper), its home to the Killington Classic in the Fall.
For NH I love Lincoln as a home base. Lots to do and places to ride. A great trip is to loop over to North Conway via the Kankamngus, then either head to Portland Me or down to Portsmouth, then up to Laconia/Weir's beach, and back up to Lincoln. Lots of places to stay, good food and a few bars, and biker friendly (the HOG rally has been up there a few times).

Last edited by Csousanh; 06-06-2013 at 10:00 AM.