Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2013 Northeast

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Rode through Maine last year the coastal route on our way to Cape Breton. Then on the way back went through the lake and mountain region of Maine and into NH. The White Mountains were incredible, rode up Mount Washington, the Kancamangus highway was all great. Thinking about going back to the White Mountain area this fall and stay in one place for a few days.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed. Planning a 2013 trip through New England states.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode to Bar Harbor Maine a few years ago, just because. Highly recommend it. Spent a week in Laconia for Bike Week . Try to ride the Kankamangus and up Mt. Washington. Best riding I have done in years.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bar Harbor/Acadia is an excellent destination as is most of the Maine Seacoast along Rt 1 or it's side routes. Definitely want to skip around a few areas like Biddeford/Scarborough for instance but Rtes 77,88, 9 all help with that but can be slow going during the busy times.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
majorbrian
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of nice riding thru the Bershires of Western, MA ... and depending upon your schedule a smattering of events like the Indian Motorcycle rally, BritJam, etc.
If on the Maine coast, you should check out Bentley's Saloon in Arundel.
There is also the Rhinebeck Grand National Meet in June in NY.
There is probably something going on every month in each of the Northeast states.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 AM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know when you are coming but one of my favorite rides in checking out all the covered bridges in VT in the fall. Mt Washington is on my to do list. It's supposed to be spectacular if you ride up on the right day. Plan for weather of all types around NY. We have quite a few riders in the area so if you ride up here, post something and maybe we can have a forum meetup of some kind for the afternoon. June is Anericade in Lake George, NY and some beautiful riding. Many of us will be there!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Csousanh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If NH is your destination...

Originally Posted by Doublerunner
I don't know of many specific places to stay but coming through NY you have the Adirondacks and Lake George which are great. In NH you have the White Mountain National Forest with some great riding through RT 112 which is also known as the Kancamagus Highway with lots of great sites, especially in the fall when the leaves turn. In NH you also have Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch in the northern White Mtns. And you also have Mount Washington which is spectacular from the top but can have major climate changes. As for eating in NH if you are anywhere near Squam lake in the Holderness/Ashland/Plymouth area you have to eat at The Italian Farmhouse or The Common Man. Always great meals there. If you get into Southern Maine I would definitely go to the Kittery Trading Post and then take route 1A ( Ocean Blvd ) into Portsmouth NH and south into Hampton and Salisbury. Great twisties along the ocean with lots of great pull offs and sites. It's a short ride but very scenic
This is great info. If I were to do this (and I have done much of this as I used to live in Lincoln NH) I would either stay in 1) Lincoln NH (home to the NH/VT HOG Rally) very biker friendly and great rides, it opens up VT as possible day rides and Southern ME. Or 2) North Conway NH, which will open up much of the same NH roads and the coastline on NH and more ME and its coast.

Both places are tourist destinations so there is lots to do, and places to stay and eat. The two towns bookend the Kankamangus highway which is a spectacular ride. Check out Gordies Restaurant in Lincoln, very friendly and a great meal, but I always loved the other two restaurants as well.

Last edited by Csousanh; 01-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, what Csousanh said. In North Conway, Horsefeathers and Delaneys Hole in the Wall are good eateries but there are many others. Got to ping us with more details...

Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 PM
smithjeb
2nd Gear

wow another great trip what a ride

Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Plow Jockey
Novice

Read this post on Sunday and was thinking of all the places we've rode to that most of you have mentioned. I'd like to add a couple more to the list, Rt.2 Bethel,Maine, Smokin Good BBQ across from the Irving quick stop. Some real good food. Great road,all new pavement a few years ago. Rt. 25 Plymouth,NH, George's seafood and BBQ. Sorry I can't remember the streets, but the Clam Bake in Old Orchard, Maine is amazing too.
One of the things we try when we ride is find good roads and good food. So far we have done alright. ( My leather coat keeps shrinking,go figure! )
Drop me a pm if I can help.

Quick Reply: 2013 Northeast