Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Who's done Laconia?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:15 PM
onthedish1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's done Laconia?

Making my first trip to Laconia this year, any suggestions or advice. Heading up from the DC area for bike week.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Who's done Laconia?

Be careful and have a good time! If you prefer a little "quieter" time, plan on the first weekend...........also, during the week it tends to bea little less hectic. If you like all the hoopla typlically associated with a big bike rally, hit the final weekend. There's much to see/do during bike week at Laconia, you won't be bored looking for something to do! Lots and lots of really awesome riding up there. You may want to get at least a few miles away though so you can actually enjoy the riding! The beach (Weir's) is about as crowded as it gets..........no elbow room. If you've never been, then you have to see this at least once! It is the center of activity. Last year, we left the scoots parked up at Meredith Harley and caught the train down to the beach. Took 20 minutes that way as opposed to several hours and then having to find a place to park. (Free parking at Meredith, $10 minimum per bike if you ride down.) Also, the train ride was $10 round trip! Not too far from Laconia, there are 2 really incredible rides: The Kankamangus Highway (Usually referred to as "The Kank", and if you don't have a problem with heights, the Mt Washington Auto Road........this thing is something like 8000', and is very narrow, no guard rails, pretty much one lane, gravel toward the top............sides of the roads crumbling away..........very hard on a bike, especially coming down! But the view on a clear day is unbelievable! You can see the Atlantic Ocean from up there on a good day! There's the Cog Railway...........you get the idea........plenty plenty to do! You can look all this stuff up directly and see pix etc............Search for laconia bike week to find some info too......the cops are generally pretty laid back, unless you get really stupid. If it says no parking, do not park there! They are serious! But this thing has been going on for 87 years now, and the locals (mostly) love it as much as the "dirtbags!" They understand what this week does for their local economy. Mostly real friendly and helpful folks. Have fun!

Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 AM
onthedish1
Tourer

Troll, appreciate the information, been doing my research on the official website, will be staying in the Gilford area, just east of Weirs Beach. We plan on arriving on Monday and staying to Saturday, then heading back, so we'll find it a bit less hectic being there mid-week. Have gotten some good maps too of some great looking rides, so we're excited about heading north. Definitely plan on doing the Mt. Washington ride, would hate to miss the opportunity.

Always looking for more insight from someone who's been there, you know, the little things that make the trip one to remember.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

I live about an hour west of Laconia and go every year. Some nice places up there if you are traveling north on route 3 to lancaster NH there is a park John Wingate Weeks state park.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/Weeks/Weeks.html
Just watch out for the moose between twin moutain and lancaster.

As said from ugly troll the firsthalf of the week is less crowded. Good luck on your trip to NH you will love it.
http://www.laconiamcweek.com/

Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 AM
onthedish1
Tourer

More great input from the knowledgeable and helpful gang on HDForums, thanks scrappy. I'll definitely have to add it to my list of rides. My uncle and I use to chase moose on fire roads in upstate Minnesota, great fun, until the bull got tired of being chased and decided to chase you. Had to floor the jeep in reverse as there was no room to turn around, water on both sides of the road. Was a hoot!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:01 AM
HDandME
Intermediate

I too have never been, but am going this year. I live just outside NH in Mass, so it's not far from me at all.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Hey HDandME.where in Mass? Greenfield area here.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM
roadhdking2000
3rd Gear

A group of us met in Fredrick MD 3 years ago and went up. Took 15 out of Frederick to Harrissburg got on Interstate 81 - then Interstate 80 to Stroudsburg - state 209 along the Delaware River (tourist area can be slow) back on to the Interstate 84 - to the Tatonic State pkwy (nice road)- to NY 7 which becomes NH 9 through the White Mtns (great road).
It was all about the ride - got the required "t" shirt - we there1/2 of the 1st weekend then went on to Mt Washington (wicked hill turns to a gravel road part way up) tooled around ME then headed back more through MA and CT - people I was travelling w/ had a limited time - did it in 6 days

Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
onthedish1
Tourer

Thanks for the suggested route roadhdking2000, pretty much my thoughts too. Can't wait, lots of riding planned before then, but its sure to be a great trip north.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

I'm just catching up on this tread. [:@]

I go to Laconia yearly as well. I live in Merrimack, NH which is about 1 hour from Laconia. I use to take day trips from my home, but this year we scored a campground nearby. Since both my wife and I ride, we will both have our bikes up there for the week.

I agree with what most said, last weekend is crazy. The weekend before and week during is great. Lots to see. I hope this year is good weather wise.

Let me know if you need any more infor from me, would be glad to help anyone out!

Quick Reply: Who's done Laconia?