Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Suggestions please for Cherohala and BRP

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Suggestions please for Cherohala and BRP

Heading south from Ontario to do Cherohala and BRP Sunday to Friday.
Starting point will be somewhere around Knoxville, depending on how far I get first day.
Was planning on Tellico Plains, Cherohala, moonshiner 28 to Deals Gap, Dragon then head towards Gatlinburg to head towards Cherokee to get on BRP.How far can I expect to get in a day from Tellico Plains?
How far along the BRP can I expect to get in a day, I mean a good stopping place.
I have 6 days including the ride from and back to Toronto so 3-4 days of riding the route.
Suggestions on stopping points, accomadations, sights. I need to cram in as much as I can. I now everyone says take longer but thats all I have time for and the weather window looks good next week.
I usually ride until dark so probably 10 hour days but will stretch it longer going home. I rode home from Sturgis this year in one stretch, 23 hours, 2400 km. Gotta love the C and C seats.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep in mind the speed limit on BRB is either 35 or 45 (there are cops their too). There are all kinds of stops - historical places, waterfalls, hikes - get a map and booklet online or at a welcome center.

We were up there Sunday near Mt. Mitchell - spent quite a while riding IN a rain cloud. It gets cold up there quick as well.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM
OneOhFifthRKC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherohala and BRP

Booch,

Sounds like a Great trip you are planning.

The BRP is 469 miles end to end. It works well to spread it out over two days.

That puts the mid point close to Boone, NC.

In July I started at the top of the BRP. Rode to Sparta, NC. Pretty drab town, but it worked well for me. Just wanted a place to eat and sleep. Day 2 ended in Cherokee. Both days were pretty light work (less than 300 miles including getting on and off the parkway).

Although the BRP was a great ride with beautiful scenery, I wish I had done the BRP in one day to have an extra day in the Smoky mountains. (I am biased by the fact that I live just north of the BRP and can ride it any weekend I choose).

The leaves are beginning to change here now. If you can delay your trip to the first week of October the red, yellow and oranges colors will be at or close to their peak.

We rode the following routes during three days around Cherokee:
Day 1 : 28 west to Deals Gap(129), 72 to 411, South on 411 to 360 (to Tellico Plains), Cherohala Skyway (165/143 back to 129, 74 back to Cherokee.
Day 2 : 441 through the Smoky Natl. Park, left on Little River Road to 321, 321 to the Foothills Parkway, left onto 129 (Deals Gap in the other direction), and 28 back to Cherokee.
Day 3 : 74 west to 28 south, east on 64 at Highlands, at Brevard we took 276 north to Waynesville, then 19 to Maggie Valley (Wheels Through Time Museum).

all of it was great riding and could have spent another week there.

Ride YOUR pace, and Have a Great Trip!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Book marked....headed to work now...I'll reply this evening. We own a cabin in the Smokies and will post some awesome must do's.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Made our second trip along the parkway last summer. 2 must see places IMHO. Swinging Bridge on Grandfather Mountain and Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley. Dale and staff are just awesome people. Mount Mitchell is the highest point east of the Mississippi. As stated previously stated, climate conditions can and will change quickly along the BRP. Be prepared. I you stay in Sparta, NC, try the Allegheny Motel, nice people there, breakfast joint in the parking lot and an evening meal just down the road. Other than that, ask the locals, they won't steer you wrong.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

If you are short on time think about doing just the southern half of the BRP. Best scenery and highest elevations. Be prepared for weather and temp changes. Saturday was sunny around 80 near Asheville but on top it was dark clouds and in the 50's.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The BRP is 45 MPH it's Skyline Drive that's 35. You can get away with around 5 over. While heavy rain may slow you down it's the fog that can bring the trip to a stop. If that happens you can bail out on I-81. Keep track of the mile markers to find your way out. It's like running into a white wall.

You really need more time to enjoy the trip. I allow six days and I'm starting from northern Virginia.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Ultrasummer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say you could do most of what you listed in two days. Maybe 3 if you took frequent stops to take in the sights. Now the BRP parkway is another story. Beautiful but slow.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:44 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 214 Likes on 161 Posts

stations inn m/c resort at mp 248 on the brp in laurel springs,nc is 'bout 1/2 way and only 1/4 mi off the parkway--sumptin to think about

Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Lot of deer along the BRP so I try not to ride it within one hour of sunset. Saw about a twenty pound wild turkey cross the road one year late in the afternoon. The best scenery is from the NC boarder and south. One problem on the sothern end is finding gas. It can take 40 minutes to ride down the mountain to find a town.

Quick Reply: Suggestions please for Cherohala and BRP