Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best ride from Williamsburg VA

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
uncblue
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best ride from Williamsburg VA

I'm heading to a week of sales meetings next week from Raleigh to Williamsburg and thinking of driving the EG. Meetings finish thurs afternoon and planned to ride from Thurs afternoon 4ish til Sat night back in Ral. Would I be better off heading down toward Blacksburg or taking the coast down through OBX to Kitty Hawk area and then to Ral? Leaning towards Mt roads... Specific rds to hit, good place to stay in Blacksburg area, and must eat joints appreciated. Also may camp with new hammock so campsite info would be awesome.

Thanks a ton for the input and help.....

Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Mtn roads huh. Look at US rt 60 west from Richmond to where it intersects with the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take the Parkway south to below Roanoke VA. You can jump off there and run up to Blacksburg. Lot of good roads in the Blacksburg area, find rt 311 over into WV if you have time. Or you could continue on the BRP to Meadows of Dan and camp at Willville Motorcycle Campground. Rt 58 would take you back east from there and Rt 220 would turn you south. You're on your own from there.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rt 60 is a popular route west to the blue ridge and it an ok route. Gets twisty as you climb toward the blue ridge. Another good route west is Rt. 6. 2 lane and more twists. When you hit 29 go south to rt. 56 and head west toward the blue ridge over Crabtree Falls. Great motorcycle road. Rt. 56 will twist and turn and take you to the BRP then south towards Blacksburg. Lots of places to stay in both Roanoke and Blacksburg. Floyd Hotel on Rt. 8 is another option or Route 8 back toward Radford which is just south of Christiansburg / Blacksburg area.

Colonial Parkway is another good ride is you have a couple hours to kill while in Williamsburg. Relaxing not adrenaline pumping. PM if you have questions and I will be glad to help.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 PM
uncblue
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a ton for the help. Keep the suggestions coming. I've only driven the area once from Richmond in a cage. I remember being in the river alley and it was amazing. Can't wait to be on the Harley. Gps took me some weird way from Bburg to back side of hillsborough on way home. That drive was awesome. Randomly came across 2 antiques stores and some awesome country restaraunt near a lake about hr or so outside of Blacksburg. Remember there was BB&T there bc i bought my 1st antique, a chair from one of the shops and had to get cash...Anyone have a guess where I might have been and route? I'd love to come back that way with 1st the twisteys that later turned into huge open fields.