Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding in AZ? Use caution...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Riding in AZ? Use caution...

I live in AZ and see lots of out of state bikes in our beautiful, scenic state. However, most tourists are not aware of photo radar cameras posted on state highways in many towns. In today's Phoenix newspaper there is a very informative article about the cameras. I thought some of you might find it interesting.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...-highways.html

Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I live in AZ also and the cameras are everywhere. I don't have a problem with them since I don't speed but...if you do, watch for them. Up where I live (in the mountians) they set up a lot of mobile speed cameras as well.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

First, you really only have to worry about cameras within municipalities: on the open highways, you should have no problems from them.

Second, simply keep your speed less than 10 MPH over the posted limit and you should have no problems from them. Also, keep you eyes open, because the law requires that a sign be posted when a camera is in place.

Lastly, on rural highways, especially in rural towns (I imagine this is true all over the country), the real danger is from speed traps. You really have to watch out for those, especially when you are getting close to a town. The law requires proper signage, but it is easy to miss them.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
First, you really only have to worry about cameras within municipalities: on the open highways, you should have no problems from them.

Second, simply keep your speed less than 10 MPH over the posted limit and you should have no problems from them. Also, keep you eyes open, because the law requires that a sign be posted when a camera is in place.

Lastly, on rural highways, especially in rural towns (I imagine this is true all over the country), the real danger is from speed traps. You really have to watch out for those, especially when you are getting close to a town. The law requires proper signage, but it is easy to miss them.
If you take a ride west on 10 you will find plenty of them all the way to the Ca line. They have spaced about every 20 miles or so.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seen quite a few on I-40 as well. They tend to sit in the same places
for weeks (months??) at a time.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to deter people from riding in/through AZ. I just wanted them to be aware of these (mostly) small town revenue generators.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
If you take a ride west on 10 you will find plenty of them all the way to the Ca line. They have spaced about every 20 miles or so.
Will have to look for them. Last time I was out that way (Spring of 2011), I didn't notice any, except "in town". Too, they haven't taken them down as far as I know since the new law went into effect (noticed them up still on the 101 this Spring).

Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Greer over the weekend. There are a couple camera's in Payson and a few more in Show-Low. If they want to control speed the should put up camera's in construction zones and charge $1000.00. It just burns me seeing cars flying through these areas while these guys are fixing our roads.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM
71FLH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tucson has several revenue enhancement zones. Like was said before they are set for eleven miles over. Most everybody I know calls them speed bumps. Ya slow down just long enough to get through the camera, then off ya go. Of course not me, strictly by the book, that's my motto.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The biggest issue for me, in AZ, is if you stop to rest or have a break-down, watch out for the rattle snakes!!!

Quick Reply: Riding in AZ? Use caution...