Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Highway to the sun + North Cascades Highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Highway to the sun + North Cascades Highway

Planning a ride on the long weekend, looking for feedback, suggestions, encouragement...

Planning on popping over the border to the US. Taking the Highway to the sun through Glacier National park. Then I'd like to do the North Cascades Highway, I've heard it's an awesome ride. So I'll take the Lolo pass between Missoula and Levinston then ride straight north through Spokane to get to Hwy 20, the North Cascades Highway.

On the west end, if I have some extra time I'll ride in to Mt Baker. Then from there I'll cross back to Canada and take the Trans Canada Highway home.

Here it all is in one picture. What do you think? If anyone wants to hook up along the way, that would be great too. The more the merrier as they say.

GoogleMap

Last edited by zeus33; 08-27-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,631 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Am I guessing right, around 900-1000 miles? Easy enough in 3 days, be pushing it in two, I'd guess you want to stop and take a few pictures, too. That route will flatten out around Lewiston, and you'll have around a couple hundred miles of pretty straight road, will be a relief to get some visual stimulus when you pass Colville. It's too bad there isn't a road running from Kalispell to Coville, where 20 starts, would be great scenery most of the way. Lots of lakes, rivers, and mountains in that area. There are roads and trails through the National Forests there, but some are gravel, some barely wider than a single lane, actually the kind of roads I really like, but Kalispell to Colville that way would probably take the best part of a day, wouldn't be hitting cruising speeds often. Don't know your starting point, but you sure want to time it so you have full daylight all the way through Glacier Park. That's one of the most beautiful places I've been.

If the clothes look dated, might be because this trip was in '75.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
jrbean1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did.the road to the sun. all I could say it was an awesome road don't forget take pics.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
Am I guessing right, around 900-1000 miles? Easy enough in 3 days, be pushing it in two, I'd guess you want to stop and take a few pictures, too. That route will flatten out around Lewiston, and you'll have around a couple hundred miles of pretty straight road, will be a relief to get some visual stimulus when you pass Colville. It's too bad there isn't a road running from Kalispell to Coville, where 20 starts, would be great scenery most of the way. Lots of lakes, rivers, and mountains in that area. There are roads and trails through the National Forests there, but some are gravel, some barely wider than a single lane, actually the kind of roads I really like, but Kalispell to Colville that way would probably take the best part of a day, wouldn't be hitting cruising speeds often. Don't know your starting point, but you sure want to time it so you have full daylight all the way through Glacier Park. That's one of the most beautiful places I've been.

Google tells me it's about 2700 km, 1600mi. So call it 500 mi/day. It will be a relaxing trip. Well unless I extend it. We'll see how fast I get through it. lol

Thanks for your analysis. I know the leg through Spokane will be a bit lameo, but I'd rather just hit the freeway and get up to hwy 20.

The pics you posted are cool Imold. Very 70's, take a look at those cars. wow. Those were the good ol days.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,631 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Google tells me it's about 2700 km, 1600mi. So call it 500 mi/day. It will be a relaxing trip. Well unless I extend it. We'll see how fast I get through it. lol

Thanks for your analysis. I know the leg through Spokane will be a bit lameo, but I'd rather just hit the freeway and get up to hwy 20.

The pics you posted are cool Imold. Very 70's, take a look at those cars. wow. Those were the good ol days.
I didn't even know Google could give you distance, I'll have to check that out. I was way off on mileage! So you're going to do a 4 day; been a few decades since I've done that. 70's - good old days... Those 70's cars were screwed up by early emissions equipment (fix - take it off, run better, more power, better mileage, and a 72 I had did way better on emissions testing), but they were way roomier for big folks, generally rode a lot better (heavy stuff), and handled atrociously by today's standards. You had to use printed maps on a trip, and if you broke down in the boonies, you had to rely on someone passing by to help you, no phone. People that weren't around yet in the 70's would feel more isolated on a time travel trip back there than they would walking miles into the woods today, it was so lacking in what we consider normal technology now. But it wasn't nearly as crowded once you got out of cities, much smaller suburbs, and way less fences; you could really get out in the country on logging and cattle trails if your bike would handle it, but most of those areas are fenced off now. For a road trip, 70's were way better; for day to day living, have too much now I wouldn't want to give up to want to live in the 70's again.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 AM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

An option for the Spokane to Hwy 20 leg might be to go from Spokane (hwy 195) to Davenport (hwy 2) then North to Kettle Falls (hwy 25) then cross the Columbia River on hwy 395 to intersect with hwy 20 to Republic. Wauconda, Tonasket. This route will take you along the Columbia River past Fort Spokane, Fruitland, Daisy, and to Kettle Falls. All those have gas.

There is a way more scenic route from Kettle Falls to Tonasket as well that might add an hour but is way worth it. From Kettle Falls stay on hwy 395 past hwy 20 for 10 miles or so then go left/west on the Boulder Road to Curlew. At Curlew and the intersection of hwy 21/Boulder rd/Kettle River rd, go straight on Kettle River rd. Great coffee and food there at Tugboats. Straight on Kettle River rd will take you to Toroda Cr. rd and to a small town of Chesaw. From there you will go a few miles to a left/south on Havilla rd. This will take you into Tonasket as well where you will pick up hwy 97 to hwy 20 N. Cascades. If you look on Google you will see this route takes you past Beth Lakes on Toroda Cr rd which are some of the most beautiful high mountain lakes in a canyon you can nearly touch both sides of it is so steep. There is gas in Kettle Falls, Curlew, Chesaw, and Tonasket. Should be good that way.

I live in Kettle Falls/Colville and can get you some more info if needed even on the N. Cascades stretch if you want. I gotta run now though so send me an email on my pad at ericw1962@gmail.com with your contact info and Ill give you a call from the road. I have rode your entire route several times and can give you some good info. Rode the hwy to the sun and Lolo leg a couple weeks ago. If our plans fall through I may ride the Kettle Falls to Mt. Baker stretch with ya. Good luck. EW

Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by EricW
An option for the Spokane to Hwy 20 leg might be to go from Spokane (hwy 195) to Davenport (hwy 2) then North to Kettle Falls (hwy 25) then cross the Columbia River on hwy 395 to intersect with hwy 20 to Republic. Wauconda, Tonasket. This route will take you along the Columbia River past Fort Spokane, Fruitland, Daisy, and to Kettle Falls. All those have gas.

There is a way more scenic route from Kettle Falls to Tonasket as well that might add an hour but is way worth it. From Kettle Falls stay on hwy 395 past hwy 20 for 10 miles or so then go left/west on the Boulder Road to Curlew. At Curlew and the intersection of hwy 21/Boulder rd/Kettle River rd, go straight on Kettle River rd. Great coffee and food there at Tugboats. Straight on Kettle River rd will take you to Toroda Cr. rd and to a small town of Chesaw. From there you will go a few miles to a left/south on Havilla rd. This will take you into Tonasket as well where you will pick up hwy 97 to hwy 20 N. Cascades. If you look on Google you will see this route takes you past Beth Lakes on Toroda Cr rd which are some of the most beautiful high mountain lakes in a canyon you can nearly touch both sides of it is so steep. There is gas in Kettle Falls, Curlew, Chesaw, and Tonasket. Should be good that way.

I live in Kettle Falls/Colville and can get you some more info if needed even on the N. Cascades stretch if you want. I gotta run now though so send me an email on my pad at ericw1962@gmail.com with your contact info and Ill give you a call from the road. I have rode your entire route several times and can give you some good info. Rode the hwy to the sun and Lolo leg a couple weeks ago. If our plans fall through I may ride the Kettle Falls to Mt. Baker stretch with ya. Good luck. EW

Hey Eric,

Those are great suggestions. I've found all those roads on the map. They look pretty good.

I'll send you my contact info by email.

Hey one quick question for you or anyone else reading this.. What about fishing regulations in Wyoming? Can someone post a few sentences pls. What does a license cost for a person coming from out of state, any closures? Tips are always welcome. I spin cast, have best luck around here with a mepps spinner.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

For a more scenic ride, I've made some suggestions to your route from Lewiston, Idaho through Spokane and then over the North Cascades. I will be riding that route in the opposite direction as part of a 5K trip I'm starting the day after Labor Day. I've been over this route several times and it never get boring. Also, try to make sure you hit the North Cascades Highway (20) on Sunday. It will be very crowded with trailers and motorhomes returning from the long weekend on Monday and will be slow going.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=L...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

Last edited by FXDXTSport; 08-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,555 Likes on 10,762 Posts

AWESOME Zeus33 AWESOME!!!!!!!
A friend just did LOLO, Beartooth and others as well as the Roda To The Sun....he RAVED over the Road To The Sun!!

I'll b doing it next year.

When u have a chance to do the ride you just put together... man-o-man do you know how many THOUSANDS of ppl would LOVE to do it but can't for physical, or time or $$ reasons etc... and you CAN and ARE going to do it...........GO MAN GO!!!!

Be sure to report back here pls and update us and maybe pop in a few PIXs like others did here.

GO MAN GO!! You lucky B'tard!!!

BuzzCap7

Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden all of these roads and you are in for memorable trip...
Take your time and enjoy the ride...

Quick Reply: Highway to the sun + North Cascades Highway