Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Black Hills, SD in mid-Sept?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Hills, SD in mid-Sept?

Wife and I are thinking of a road trip aboard our Ultra to the Black Hills the second week of September.

Weather.com shows the average temp highs to be in the upper 60's and lows in the upper 40's. Also shows September to have a lower rain average than August, which of course is bike week.

I'm wondering if many of the lodging areas, food places, attractions, etc, will be closed during our target week, seeing as it will be after the tourist season?

Do any of you have any experience doing the Black Hills in September?

We're either riding the Ultra to the Black Hills or taking our 4WD SUV back to Colorado for some exploring. (May tag our dirt bikes along in a trailer.)

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 AM
jasontrucks76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From late August to early October is when I get quite a bit of riding in around here. Temps are cooler and tourists are back home and school is in session.

If you do make it out here I know you will enjoy the riding better than rally time. We have had very mild weather the last several years in the fall but that is always something that can change in the blink of an eye in western SD.

There are tons of year round things to do and see. Lodging will not be an issue! Some of the seasonal places will be closed up but you will still have plenty to see and do. Custer to Deadwood and everywhere in between will have plenty of shopping and sites.

You can always hit the Chamber of Commerce web site and map out your attack on the Black Hills.

Good luck with planning your trip!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Thanks for the response, jasontrucks. Very much appreciated.

Sounds like the Black Hills will be our first choice (we've done Colorado a LOT). BUT, we intend to watch weather.com about three days before leaving. IF the weather forecast for your area is calling for crappy weather for a few days... we'll head for Colorado and try to do the Black Hills another time.

I think the wife will enjoy seeing the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Badlands, et al, that I was able to see and experience on my solo 2010 Sturgis trip.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

For several weeks prior to our trip out to S. Dakota in July, Weather.com indicated perfect riding weather -- 82 degrees and mostly sunny for the whole trip. As the date got closer, their temps got higher. Ended up in the 100's for most of our trip, with some fairly violent storms during the evening and night hours. Some pretty spectacular lightning displays, some causing fires. Quite a bit different than 82 and mostly sunny. I suspect weather.com reports "averages" until within a reasonable forecast window. Point being, don't rely totally on weather predictions! Have a great trip regardless of the weather! Spearfish Canyon in the Fall should be spectacular.

Last edited by RoadHog659; 08-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Going there myself weekend after Labor Day. Weather is usually very nice that time of year. If there is one place I had to move to, the Black Hills would be it.
For lodging, try this: vacation@heartofthehillsvacationhomes.com. Yes, they are relatives, they run vacation homes and cabins year round. Located in Hill City. Even if you don't use them, they will happy to help you find lodging. Have fun!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:45 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going there next week with wife staying , http://www.hisegalodge.net/ hope the weather cooperates know the wife will have a great time she loves B&B mountains and cooler weather (it's 110f plus here right now).
Russ

Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Thanks for more input.

Looks like we'll need to super-slab it to the region, planning to come in on I-90 west and stop n' spend the night in the Badlands area so we can do the Badlands first thing the next morning before we head on into the Black Hills area. Got a question:

Where would you recommend to stay just east of the Badlands?

Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Murdo or Wall should have rooms that time of year. Nice ride through the Badlands. The leaves in Spearfish Canyon were at their peak the end of Sept. last year. Any time is good riding in the Hills but fall is the best!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 PM
firedog341
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode the Black Hills 2nd and 3rd week last September. Woke up in the 50's, rode in the high 70's. Not a drop of rain and low humidity. Plenty of sun. Stayed in Custer in the south and Deadwood in the north. Lots of good riding.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 AM
pokey074
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm headed out there myself the end of September. You should be fine weather wise, but don't discount a freak early season snowstorm.

Quick Reply: Black Hills, SD in mid-Sept?