Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mt Washington on a Road Glide w/passenger

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012 | 10:05 AM
June Bug
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Mt Washington on a Road Glide w/passenger

I know there have been some threads somewhat related but didn't quite give me what I am looking for.

We are going up to the White Mountains next week. The last couple times we've been up there, we have debated on riding our bikes up Mt Washington. Those times, I was riding my own. Each time the weather was crap and we couldn't go. (I've been up there years ago in a car, and on the railrod, hubby has never been up).

Now, we are traveling up on our new Road Glide and I will be on the back.

A little history - We've had this bike since May, hubby is loving it (went from a Fat Boy, but did have an Electra Glide a while back although I was riding my own then), and I think he's has gotten back into the swing of riding a passenger after 7 years of riding solo. (He has been riding for years, so pretty experienced).

SO .... Hubby keeps saying he'd love to go up Mt Washington but just doesn't know how it will be on a big touring bike, AND with a passenger. We've heard such conflicting stories about the ride up. Some say it's the scariest thing they've ever done, some say it's a piece of cake. Many have been on smaller bikes, riding solo.

I guess what I'd like to hear SPECIFICALLY is from people who have done it on a big touring bike carrying a passenger.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2012 | 11:23 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

Did it two years ago on my 05 Ultra with my wife on the back. Car ahead of me stopped at the very last crest which kinda pissed me off but I had zero problems. Visibility was 60-70 miles and I think wind was about 20mph. I'd love to go back! Enjoy!

Old 08-07-2012 | 11:33 AM
miketami
Cruiser

IMHO riding up and down with a passenger is as much about the riders ability to ride as it is about the passengers ability to sit there and trust the rider. If hubby did it solo on a softail it will be easier on a new touring bike (much better handeling) and as long as you dont try to steer from the back you will both have a blast. I have done it and think it should be the test for new riders LOL

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:00 PM
June Bug
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by miketami
IMHO riding up and down with a passenger is as much about the riders ability to ride as it is about the passengers ability to sit there and trust the rider. If hubby did it solo on a softail it will be easier on a new touring bike (much better handeling) and as long as you dont try to steer from the back you will both have a blast. I have done it and think it should be the test for new riders LOL
Oops - probably misled you - hubby has never been up Mt Washington. I was just referencing his last bike was a Fat Boy and he has had touring bikes before (although set up as solos). So he's ridden all types of bikes. And he's put a fair amount of miles on the Road Glide since May, with and without me on back.

I've been up Mt Washington, but never on a bike, I would love for him to see it.

I've actually been a passenger longer than I have ridden my own (I got my MC license 7 years ago). I am a good passenger (hubby just told me, but I already knew it, lol!), and I do trust him and his riding skills totally.

Thanks for the input and encouragement!

Old 08-08-2012 | 07:40 AM
June Bug
|
Stellar HDF Member

So, I shared the couple comments I got with hubby. I'm hoping the weather is clear, as I think he's seriously considering it!