Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Washington/Oregon Riders...Need Some Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washington/Oregon Riders...Need Some Suggestions

Out of SoCal, end of July, thru Vegas, #93 North thru Missoula, GNP, Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise...10 day trip, 4 guys, 4 MC's. 3,500 miles.

Right now, planning on coming back to US thru Kelowna, BC, thru eastern WA/OR. Not looking to do the super slabs...got any suggestions on roads to Reno or the SF Bay area? Could work our way more westerly (in Canada & US), but don't want to do the last few days in rain, which maybe you are famous or infamous for. Not too interested in doing PCH...done it a few times...so been there, (except for eastern WA) and not excited about the "summer" crowds. Also, travelling on the fly and will try hotels/motels at the end of the day, wherever we end up.

I have done the "Google" thing extensivley, but even with "road views" there is only so much info one can gather. Suggestions? This seems to be the "loose part" of our trip. Yeah, if we get behind, we can always jump on the #5 freeway.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

East side of the Cascades should be hot and dry but too far east and there is precious little in the way of roads that go north and south. From Kelowna, I would head south on US97. This goes down just east of the Cascades without going too far into the badlands. It goes all the way down to I-5 to Weed but then you would be stuck going on I-5.

My trip in a week will head down US97 (I'm coming out of Portland). Just south of Bend, I am cutting over on to Ore 31, which hooks into US395 before you get to Lakeview OR. I have never been on this road which is why I am taking it. As an alternative, take 97 all the way to Klamath Falls and then head east to Alturas where it hooks back into US395. I am going to Yosemite, but 395 goes all the way to LA. Side trips can take you to Reno, Tahoe and Virginia City. The backside of the Sierras are great as is Us 97 for most of the trip between Canada and the Calif border.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done LA back to Seattle by way of Vegas and Utah .I would suggest north on 15 out of Vegas to ST George UT through Zion and Bryce Canyon NP then HWY 12 north to Torrey UT instead of 93. Here is link to a map all the way up into Canada
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=La...mra=pd&t=m&z=5

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

If anyone can work it in, I found highway 242 heading west out of Sisters, Oregon toward Eugene to be a wonderful motorcycle ride. Beautiful scenery, mildly challenging with little traffic(no trucks).

Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There are all kinds of routes north/south,east of the Cascades.One of the more scenic is U.S. 95,down the Idaho Panhandle.It parallels the WA.,OR, borders.South to interstate 84 and then a few miles past Boise,you catch Hwy. 51 south to Elko,NV.Spectacular country,rugged and desolate.From Elko there are all kinds of back road routes,catch the junction @ Bishop,Ca.,down the Eastern Sierra scarp,and the desert route into SoCal.

Last edited by Twistnride; 06-18-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kelowna south to Tonasket, hwy 20 to Kettle Falls, 25 south to Davenport, to Harrington, 23 to Sprague, to Steptoe , south on 195 to Lewiston/Clarkston, south on 129 the "Rattlesnake" to Enterprise, then into Joesph and the usfs rd into Hells canyon and out to Baker city and southwest out of there.......that would be fun !!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by turdlefxst
Kelowna south to Tonasket, hwy 20 to Kettle Falls, 25 south to Davenport, to Harrington, 23 to Sprague, to Steptoe , south on 195 to Lewiston/Clarkston, south on 129 the "Rattlesnake" to Enterprise, then into Joesph and the usfs rd into Hells canyon and out to Baker city and southwest out of there.......that would be fun !!
That's a good one. Better......is hit hwy 21 south out of Republic (via hwy 20) then down the gorge to Kettle Ferry,across the lake to the snake (still hwy 21.....one of the twistiest roads you'll ever ride) that runs up to the Spokane Plateau,into Wilbur.Billy Burgers in Wilbur,THEN over to Davenport and south.Damn,we gotta' million great roads up here.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by turdlefxst
turdle may be slow but he knows good roads. Rode much of his suggestion last summer, especially Rattlesnake grade to Joseph, Hell's Canyon and out to Baker City....excellent.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 PM
DustyJones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hwy 503 east off I-5 out of Woodland, WA (exit 21) to Mt St. Helens is a great ride. I've ridden it a bunch and have seen it listed in motorcycle magazines as being a great ride.

Some really good twistys and amazing views of the mountain. To see the damage in person is really quite amazing.

You just have to keep an eye open for the sport bikes.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:16 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think twistandride is talking about going into Keller and taking the Keller ferry across the pond. Yes there is a short twisty ride up to Wilbur, we rode it a couple times when we first found it.
If ya do that I would drop on into Spokane, several good ways to get there....like into Chewelah and the flowery trail rd, past 49 degree north ski area and into spokane.
Then I would cut east a ways to Coeur d lane lake and down south on 97 to St Maries
AWSOME ride around Idaho's lake tahoe.. and work your way over to Lewiston
Then just before lewiston off of 95 grab the Old Spiral hwy to Clarkston...another awsome little twisty.
But do the RAttleSnake....
And eastern oregon out of Baker city west and south has some of the BEST roads.

have fun, but ya need more time ... And stay off I-5 or any of the "I" rods for that matter, unless your trying to make up time and distance...

I may be slow, but I'm steady....unless its twisty.. LOL!!

Quick Reply: Washington/Oregon Riders...Need Some Suggestions