Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Beartooth Highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 PM
CajunCowgirl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beartooth Highway

Has anyone here ridden the Beartooth Highway? Runs between Red Lodge and Cook City, MT. I'm hoping to do it this summer. Also hoping to ride the Chief Joseph Highway in the same area.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,311 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Yep, three times, the last in 2010.

Both roads are beautiful but I'd suggest that you pick a clear, dry day to do this ride and be prepared for cooler temps and wind gusts.

Well worth the ride.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM
thehonas
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden over the "Cook City Hwy" several times and weather was an issue every time but It's beautiful. And usually quite chilly!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I've ridden both roads. Keep going East if you can and ride through the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Two great rides. Have fun.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy, That Beartooth ride is fantastic....unless heights make you nervous!!! Most important thing is to check the weather. On a bike, I'd not recomend going at all until July. It can snow up at the top of the pass anyday of the year. We're lucky in Montana...summer time offers more great places to ride....horses or Harley's then any other place in the world!!!! Have fun.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm in the other camp...that is, ride the Beartooth as early in the season as you can. Mountain peaks are still full of snow and riding alongside those 10' high walls of snow at the top is always a kick. Doesn't matter if it's July or August, you'll most likely need your jacket and gloves on the pass.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Montana Cowboy
Howdy, That Beartooth ride is fantastic....unless heights make you nervous!!! Most important thing is to check the weather. On a bike, I'd not recomend going at all until July. It can snow up at the top of the pass anyday of the year. We're lucky in Montana...summer time offers more great places to ride....horses or Harley's then any other place in the world!!!! Have fun.
How bad is it? It does not bother me and I am looking forward to that ride in July. But the people that ride with me have a problem with heights. I used to think they were kidding but they are not.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bamarider
How bad is it? It does not bother me and I am looking forward to that ride in July. But the people that ride with me have a problem with heights. I used to think they were kidding but they are not.
There are a few places where the road's edge is fairly close to drop offs, since the road is mostly cut out of the side of mountains. But those spots have big guardrails and I think guardrails make a big difference for folks like your fellow riders who have height issues. There's a road that runs from Stanley, Idaho over to Lowman, Idaho and I'm telling you riding westbound there are sections where there isn't enough room to put a guardrail in if they wanted to. Go off there and it's adios ****. Beartooth isn't like that, your friends will be fine.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bamarider
It's a narrow two lane climb, many hairpin twisties....lots of miles with no shoulders and a guard rail on the down side.....some with verticle drops...no shoulder and straight up rock walls on the other......Expect possible loose gravel from falling rocks and many places where the road will be wet from the melting snowpack. Cagers and bikers alike crawl along in the trickiest spots. The scenery is spactacular.....and there are turnouts and overlooks along the way to stop, rest, shoot photos and use the john.

Anybody can do it. The faint of heart might not be as happy as the rest is all.

Quick Reply: Beartooth Highway