Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Beartooth Highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
LadyFunbags
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beartooth is a beautiful ride. I've ridden it three times, all in late July. The last time I rode it (3 years ago), it was just barely sprinkling in Cooke City. By the time we were on top of the mountain we were riding in sleet piled up 6" in the middle of the lane and very low visibility. That was NOT fun! So, as the others cautioned, be prepared for bad weather. The weather can change pretty quickly. Hopefully you'll have sunshine and white puffy clouds.

As per the height - again, this is really a very nice highway. Even the hairpin turns are nice wide hairpins. It is a very easy highway to ride; not a challenging road. Nothing like Pikes Peak (I'll never ride that one again!)

The view is spectacular! Lots of places to pull over and take in the view.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 PM
fastglass
Cruiser

Good ride!We went the first week of July last year and the road had just opened.There was snow everywhere so be prepared.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM
foghorn
Advanced

I was there last year at the first of July last year, roads were clear. Left Red Lodge headed to Yellowstone about 8:00 in morning. temp was in 60's in Red Lodge and was in low 40's at Beartooth Pass. Snow was high on sides of road. I have thought about that trip everyday since last July. Most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. The road has steep dropoffs and hairpin turns, but if you go slow and take you time you will be ok. But it is a leisure drive, do not attempt if you are in a hurry. The best I can remember we rode about 20-30 mph and slower in turns. It took us about 2 hours to go from Red Lodge to Yellowstone.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think for me the best part of riding the Beartooth was when you start to come down back into the alpine areas are the smells of the pines. The views are spectacular but that pine smell and the fresh air were what made the ride memorable. As others have said you need to dress for the ride. The day before I rode it it was 100 degrees riding through eastern Montana and Wyoming it was in the 40's as we crossed the pass. But I would go back in a heartbeat.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 PM
CajunCowgirl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located Montana Cowboy? I'm in Laurel. I have driven the road a bunch of times in the car, but I'm looking forward to doing it on the bike. Still waiting for the weather to be warm enough.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I have been over it twice in the last 4 years. The first time the wind was blowing and pretty cold, but sunny and this was in late july. Last year we wore t-shirts and it was in the middle 60's with sun in late july. Just depends, but the scenery is great. Have a snowball fight at the top and enjoy

Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Just remember that you have a strong tendency to steer where you look! Tricky at 11,000 feet and spectacular views!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM
elronp
6th Gear

Damn, i have to go to Billings next week, going to ride over from seattle area, but wont have time to do anything fun..great riding country over there!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

You will have no problem with riding. Wife and I both did it in 2010. Wear your leathers or other warm clothes and have fun. See Sig.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 PM
tourman12
Tourer

In mid August I'm taking a trip out to Colorado then down to So.Cal to visit friends then up to Yosemite & back over to Yellowstone. Reading this thread I never thought about the Beartooth pass but you have my interest peaked. So I guess the first week in Sept. isn't to late in the season to make run through the pass? I've been through Montana last year but not in that neck of the woods.

Quick Reply: Beartooth Highway