Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Shenyang China Charity riding-Sinkiang Impression 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 AM
M1 CLUB CHINA
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Shenyang China Charity riding-Sinkiang Impression 3

Saying goodbye to the heaven-like South view beyond the Great Wall, we rode towards the hell-like Yadan landform---Ghost city. First we saw modern "Ghost Entreprise"--Kelamayi Oilfield. This time we saw world-class oilfield with our own eyes. Driving our motorcycles at 100km/h for half an hour, we could still see oil-pumping units(we nick named them Kowtow units) at both sides of the road. It feels like the number of these Kowtow Machines is much more than the number of the local trees. They are like locusts and mosquitoes everywhere, sucking treature out of the Earth and every penny in our pockets, then leaving the Earth unbearable greenhouse gas. We are not against gasoline, but we human are too depend on it, just like addicted to drugs. We hope in the future, there will be less "Locusts"on the Earth, let mother Earth back to healthy.
Through this Kelamayi oilfield, we saw the famous "Ghost city". Not to freak you out, it's really like a place where ghosts would love to stay. We don't know how the nature's uncanny workmanship make simple earth into abstract ghost architecture complex! Look at this place carefully, this city looked like conquered by devils. All that missing are the launching towers of CMCC and telegraph poles for lightening.

kelamayi oil field, Kowtow units and Ghost city

Every where are oil-pumping units, sucking every drop of blood out of mother Earth.

Kelamay city Baijiantan District.Naive pupils.

Passing Baijiantan District, we continued riding north. Ghost city is approaching.

Ghost city Geopark Administrative Office
【Ghost City Urho】
Urho, also called" ghost city", is located in Urho district of Karamay city, 90km northeast from Karamay city, 5km east from Urho village.(310km east from National road 217). The average evelation is 380m high, from northwest to southeast is abt 5km, the width is abt 3km and the area is abt 15km2. The city is formed of a series of northwest-southeast independant platforms. These platforms are 10-50m high and is constructed by Tugulu group from the Cretaceous Period.
According to investigation, abt 70 million to 100 million years ago is Urho Cretaceous period.By then, here is a huge lake aroud where are thriving plants. In the lake, there lives Urho Stegosaurus,Plesiosaurus,Junggar pterosaur and other ancient animals. It's a heaven for aquatic animals.After 2 mass crust rise-fall change, the lake disappeared and became vast desert with sandstone and argillite. Because located in far inland, there isn't much rain here and the weather is very dry, this landform is kept quiet well. It is called "Gobi Platform" in geology. The skeletons of dinosaurs, fossil oil, and nature asphalt is buried deep into the complicated rock stratum.
The city is located in wind gap and it's windy here all year long. The little and big wind will blow up to 300 times a year, about 86.5% of 365 days. Wind above 7-8 level is more than 40 times every year.(especially in April to August, the maximum wind is up to 10-12 level). Each time the wind blows, sand and stones will fly with murky sky above and weird dark shadows everywhere. The wind circles in this city sound like ghosts crying or wolves howling,giving people creeps. If the moonlight is faint, with everything desolated, the situation will be creepier, becoming a "horrible world". The locals call this city "Ghost City".

Nature's uncanny workmanship can form top beauty spot Guilin, it can also created Yadan landform labelled "ghost".

At present it's sunny and the city is quiet for now.

"Dare devil" Mr. Zhao leaft his handsome figure to this ghost city.
These groups of huge sculptures bearing great changes thousands and thousands of years from the ancient till now . Maybe another thousands and thousands years from now, these stone sculptures will be destroyed by the wind and sand here, too.

No matter how beautiful you were, no one and nothing can withstand time change. And which single grain of sand hasn't existed since millions of years ago? We human are lucky, standing above the nature's gift, living colorfully. We give our deepest thanks to mother nature, as children of mother Earth, we continuing on with our life journey, with the next section of our riding journey

Leaving ghost city, we are back to lively man's world.

From Urho to Bulgin, deserts every where.

The high way in Sinkiang is so Geiliable, the road condition is good and the view is fabulous.
If our friends come here and have a rally event, it must be awesome!

Rushing towards Bulgin!
Preview: Kanas--pure land in man's world, He Mu--God' backyard garden

Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for posting these beautiful pics.Am real jealous of the ride your club and you are taking.China looks to be one beautiful country.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 AM
RoadKingFL
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All these pictures and stories would make for a great book on motorcycling China! I'd buy it.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 AM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice!!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I never thought of a group of bikes touring in China, especially with some Harley's. China is similar to the United States in having a large variety of geography, and I'm sure there's much we don't hear much about in other countries. Thanks for the pictures and descriptions, hope to see more from you.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 AM
M1 CLUB CHINA
Advanced

Originally Posted by tcarille
Thanks for posting these beautiful pics.Am real jealous of the ride your club and you are taking.China looks to be one beautiful country.
Thanks,i know America is also a very stunning country. I hope one day i can have a ride there.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 AM
M1 CLUB CHINA
Advanced

Originally Posted by RoadKingFL
All these pictures and stories would make for a great book on motorcycling China! I'd buy it.
haha, actually, we do have a plan of editing a book after we finish this trip.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 AM
M1 CLUB CHINA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Imold
I never thought of a group of bikes touring in China, especially with some Harley's. China is similar to the United States in having a large variety of geography, and I'm sure there's much we don't hear much about in other countries. Thanks for the pictures and descriptions, hope to see more from you.
Thank you for your support!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Wow! When I think of China all I see is the "political". You really have a fascinating landscape and I really enjoyed those shots. Please keep them coming!