Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Son's 1st road trip (Asheville/Maggie Valley) pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Son's 1st road trip (Asheville/Maggie Valley) pic heavy

Just got back from about a 600-mile trip with my son. This was his first road trip; we rode from northwestern NC down to Asheville, Brevard, Cashiers, Highlands, Murphy, Cherokee and Maggie Valley. Here are some pics documenting our trip.

We left home on Friday (6/1/12) and stopped to gas up in Jefferson, NC. Forecast called for heavy rain (80% chance) so we started out in our rain suits. Interestingly enough, we made the entire trip only hitting a light sprinkle. Beginner's luck??

We got to Asheville and decided to celebrate our good luck on dodging rain by having lunch at one of our favorite places:

We then rolled on to the hotel. Less than an hour after we got in the room the bottom fell out. Heavy rain hit for a period, then cleared up just in time for us to ride to supper.

When in Asheville, I can NOT pass up at least one meal at the Moose Cafe on Brevard Road. Best apple butter on the planet!

And then it's back to the hotel for a nice view of the mountains from the balcony at night.

Last edited by mountainpharm; 06-03-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

On Saturday morning we got up, grabbed some breakfast and headed south on the BRP around 8:30. It was in the low 50s in town, but as we gained elevation it got considerably colder. At the top of Mt. Pisgah it was in the mid 40s.

We got off the BRP at 276 and took that south down the mountain towards Brevard. Along the way, we stopped at Looking Glass Falls.

From there we picked up Hwy 64 West and set our sights on Cashiers. By this time it was warming up a little and turning out to be a beautiful day. This was taken on 64 just west of Brevard.

And this was a little closer to Cashiers

A few pics from downtown Highlands, NC...

Just a few miles down the road from Highlands is Bridal Veil Falls.

Unfortunately, Dry Falls was closed which is the best waterfall in the area in my opinion. I suppose that means we'll just have to make another trip down there a little later. However, we did stop at Cullasaja Falls for a few pictures.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

The ride down the mountain from Highlands to Franklin is one of the highlights. Just enough twist to the road to make it interesting and rock cliffs right up to the road's edge.

Back on the bikes, we headed to Franklin and stopped for lunch. Then it was back on Hwy 64 West to Murphy. There is a great overlook heading up the mountain but otherwise the stretch from Franklin to Murphy is a lot of nothing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

We picked up 74, aka the Smoky Mountain Expressway in Murphy and headed towards Andrews.

Of course, we had to stop at Cherokee County Cycles. Great folks there. If you stop in, make sure to give Susie a pat on the head.

We left CCC and jumped back on 74. Next stop: Nantahala Outdoor Center.

From there, we got back on 74 and rode into Bryson City. This was crossing the Tuckaseegee River.

Last edited by mountainpharm; 06-03-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great ride. Glad you could enjoy it with your son. Fantastic area. Every road is a good road.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for taking me along...I needed to get away......................

Old 06-03-2012, 06:40 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

I absolutely love the old motels from the 50s and 60s along Hwy 19 around Cherokee. I tried to snap as many as I could. Some turned out OK, some didn't.

And Harrah's, obviously. I'm happy to say that I've only lost $80 to them. I don't even stop anymore.

We pulled in to the old Ghost Town amusement park that has been closed for a few years now. I used to come here as a kid and we just happened to meet one of the original gunfighters. He reported that the park is under new ownership and they are planning to have the park open sometime this summer.

Riding thru Maggie Valley

We made it back to Asheville around 6:00 PM and decided to end our day here, which conveniently enough was across the road from our hotel.

All in all, a great trip. Already looking forward to our next ride.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

Man that is awesome. My oldest son just bought his 1st bike and I can't wait to take a ride with him like this. Memories like this are precious. Thanks for sharing

Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 AM
bamarider
Tourer
Default riding with my son

Great Pictures! One day that will be me with my son. Took him out to teach him how to ride. He has never used a clutch before. I have never been so nervous afraid he was going to go through the parking lot and crash. I had him on the same bike as your son. I have never seen him smile so much! Soon I will put him through Riders Edge and I hope that works out. Nothing better than having your boy with you!!!

Attached Thumbnails Son's 1st road trip (Asheville/Maggie Valley) pic heavy-john.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing the great photos!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for sharing the trip

Quick Reply: Son's 1st road trip (Asheville/Maggie Valley) pic heavy