Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Pacific Coast Highway Trip

I know this should go into the Road Trip section but I get more luck with this one.
On the week of the 16th-23rd of this month I have to go to Reno NV so instead of coming straight back home I am going to ride over to Eureka Ca and ride the PCH down to Santa Barbara CA.
My question for those in the know is I am planning on camping out a few nights can you guys give me some ideas on camp grounds with bathrooms and showers along that route.
Thanks
Santa

Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That will be a nice ride, I would take a couple days to do it, maybe three if you really want to stop and enjoy where you are at. But just to look at the scenery, two days is good, one for the north and one for the south (of SF).

Starting at Eureka is a little bit south of where I would start. If you ride to the coast from Reno, and are staying in a hotel, I would ride up to Crescent City at least or preferably Smith River (great steal head fishing there). Start fresh from one of those places. Or if you are camping stay at Prairie Creek State Park. If you don't camp there you should stop there. The first thing you see (hopefully) is a herd of Roosevelt Elk that hang out in the field there, they migrate from just north of Eureka to the park so hopefully you see them somewhere along the way. There is a trail that goes through the redwoods along the ridge of the hills from the camp ground to the ocean, about an hour walk, not a difficult walk. It is worth spending some time there. I've seen river otters, fox, the elk, bears, eagles all those are cool, there was a report of a mountain lion once, never saw it, but stay away from those. There is a light house up there, but I can't remember where exactly.

As you drive down the coast there are too many things to see to mention. Just take your time, stop when you see something you like and enjoy. I would stop for the night before hitting the bay area, or get there late, traffic really sucks there. It would be nice to stay for the night on the north side of the golden gate bridge and ride into town at night. It is a great looking area at night with all the lights.

Mendocino used to be one of my favorite places back in the hippie days, now like most other places it is a tourist trap, but still a good place to check out. There is a trail going along the cliffs and a small beach where the river comes out.

Bodega Bay, everyone goes there, good place if you like diving for bologna.

Half Moon Bay is nice. But it is what you see mixed into the twists and turns of the road that make the trip worth while, not the towns, and you just gotta go there and see.

Last edited by jjnoble; 06-02-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Big question. Google camp grounds Hwy One, California. I made this ride before from Oregon to San Francisco years ago. Great ride but cool due to coastal fog in the a.m. You will have to go through San Francisco surface streets to Golden Gate Park, once your past the park, it's back to some great roads all the way to Santa Barbara. Again, as far as camp grounds, you need to do the Google thing and locate them along your route.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM
porterjet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride, you should have fun.
Technically it is not the PCH that far north, but who cares, it is a common mistake.
There are plenty of State and USFS campgrounds along the way, most with bathroom/showers. Not many campgrounds in San Fransisco though.
Check the California State park and USFS websites for a lot more information that I can give you here.
Both will generally take reservations and the more popular ones will be full by now, plan early.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I live in this area, I've never camped riding my bike, but can tell you to bring your camera. Make sure one of your stops is San Simeon Creek Campground or Washburn Campground, near Hearst Castle. Subject to advanced reservations, but I seem to remember that they hold a few spots open on a first-come basis.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/

http://www.hearstcastle.org/visit/camping

As mentioned by jjnoble, Bodega Bay is a great layover. Advanced reservations, but they also have 18 first-come sites for both RV's and tent camping, along with a tent-only area. I live 25 minutes from Bodega Bay and go out at least 6 times a year.

http://sonomacountycamping.org/reser...ervations.asp? - (hopefully the site map will load.)

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 06-02-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:50 AM
TarzanT
Advanced

I know it's further north, but Patricks Point was always a mandatory stop when I was riding '1' in the late 80's (I know - i'm old). I first started with the goal or riding 1 from Mexico to Canada, but quickly realized that Big Sur and other points south on SF were nice, but could not touch the northern portions. My standard ride would be from Merced (Castle AFB) to SF and hitting 1 just off the north end of the Golden Gate. Bodega Bay, Ft Bragg, Patricks Point, and Coos Bay were all good points along the way. I would normally have to cut over to Valley of the Rogue in Oregon to make my way back home. Good memories and great rides! Thanks for reminding me!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 AM
IBM-HD
Novice

KOA at Manchester Beach, just north of Point Arena, is one of my favorites. Very motorcycle friendly.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

You guys Rock. I grew up in Northern Ca and Southern Or so I am very familiar with the whole Coast and I love it but am looking for the campground ideas and knew I could count on you for some good info, thanks these are great.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'v been reading about San Fransisco cracking down loud pipes so you might need to consider that.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Two of my favorites are plaskit creek campground and limekiln campground.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=577
http://www.recreation.gov/campground...O&parkId=70161

Another thread on traveling the PCH: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-highway.html

Last edited by soft 02; 06-02-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Pacific Coast Highway Trip