Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need advice on route thru Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 03:57 AM
mccstevie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on route thru Colorado

I realize there is so much to see in Colorado but I am looking to go from Col. Springs to Cheyenne,Wy. in one day. My original plan was US-24 west to Hartsel, 9 north to US-6, Loveland Pass. From there,I-70 to US-40 up thru Estes Park. Other alt.routes would be US-24 west to 77 at Lake George. 77 to US-285 to Guanella Pass Rd. This route shows on my map that 77 has rough pavement and the first 4 miles of Guanella Pass Rd.is gravel. Has anyone traveled these roads? Another route would be US-24 to 67 to 126 and on to US-285. From there I could go west to Guanella Pass or northeast to Mt. Evans. Which of those 3 routes would you recommend? Thanks for any advice. This is my first trip west and want to make the most of it,probably won't be the last.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:35 PM
IBGary
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Guanell pass a few years back. There were a couple of stops for construction. Starting uphill in mud was a little scary, but it was very worth while. Most of the dirt was hard and dry. I did it in late July. Don't get carried away with the scenery until you stop and get off. The road is narrow, one lane narrow in places, great ride but pay attention..

Old 06-05-2012, 10:29 PM
RockyMtnRider
Advanced

Instead of going all the way to South Park you might want to just go to Woodland Park west of Colorado Sprngs and then turn North on Rampart Range road towards Deckers. Then go through Pine catching 285 down to the Evergreen turnoff at 73. Go through Evergreen back up I70 to the Central City Parkway. Suggesting this instead of 119 coming from Denver because of gambling traffic, although 6 and 119 are great for twisties. Either way go through Central City/ Black Hawk and continue on 119 towards Nederland. Highway continues to either Lyons or Estes depending on your time. Once in Estes you can come down to Loveland and the flat land or turn north again right before Loveland on Glade road towards Masonville. From there you can take Buckhorn Road back half way up Poudre canyon then down to Ft Collins and on to Cheyenne. I guarantee you do this and you'll be twisted for a while

Hope this makes sense
Doug

Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMtnRider
Instead of going all the way to South Park you might want to just go to Woodland Park west of Colorado Sprngs and then turn North on Rampart Range road towards Deckers. Then go through Pine catching 285 down to the Evergreen turnoff at 73. Go through Evergreen back up I70 to the Central City Parkway. Suggesting this instead of 119 coming from Denver because of gambling traffic, although 6 and 119 are great for twisties. Either way go through Central City/ Black Hawk and continue on 119 towards Nederland. Highway continues to either Lyons or Estes depending on your time. Once in Estes you can come down to Loveland and the flat land or turn north again right before Loveland on Glade road towards Masonville. From there you can take Buckhorn Road back half way up Poudre canyon then down to Ft Collins and on to Cheyenne. I guarantee you do this and you'll be twisted for a while

Hope this makes sense
Doug
I like your route. Just one question: Do you mean Hwy 67 out of Woodland Park going to Deckers? Rampart Range was gravel in that washboard gravel way the last time I was on it.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM
sfarson
Road Master

Originally Posted by mccstevie
I realize there is so much to see in Colorado but I am looking to go from Col. Springs to Cheyenne,Wy. in one day. My original plan was US-24 west to Hartsel, 9 north to US-6, Loveland Pass. From there,I-70 to US-40 up thru Estes Park. Other alt.routes would be US-24 west to 77 at Lake George. 77 to US-285 to Guanella Pass Rd. This route shows on my map that 77 has rough pavement and the first 4 miles of Guanella Pass Rd.is gravel. Has anyone traveled these roads? Another route would be US-24 to 67 to 126 and on to US-285. From there I could go west to Guanella Pass or northeast to Mt. Evans. Which of those 3 routes would you recommend? Thanks for any advice. This is my first trip west and want to make the most of it,probably won't be the last.
Yes, Rampart Range is gravel. Yes, about three miles of Guanella Pass, on the south side near Grant, is gravel. The rest is decent, and the entire north side to Georgetown was recently re-engineered and repaved (Oct 2011). Park County 77 has 12 miles of broken pavement and dirt, and the rest is sublime. But you don't want to go this way.

That said, I like your first option most. Minimal traffic, minimal stop and go through congested towns, even better scenery. Enjoy riding up and around Pikes Peak on U.S. 24. Along the way Florissant Canyon is nice. Wilkerson Pass with the sweeping views of South Park below is one of a kind. At Hartsel catch Colorado 9 for Fairplay, then up and over Hoosier Pass. Take the Swan Mountain Road to Keystone then up and over Loveland Pass to I-70, east to U.S. 40 and Empire. Up and over Berthoud Pass to Granby/Grand Lake, then Rocky Mountain National Park. Descend U.S. 34, the Big Thompson Canyon to the plains and I-25 for Cheyenne. BTW, I rode Hoosier and Loveland Passes today. They are waiting for you.

Eight total mountain passes along this route (Ute, Wilkerson, Hoosier, Loveland, Berthoud, Milner, Fall River, Iceberg (The latter three are in RMNP). Great riding and great scenery. Leave early to give yourself time for pics. Here's your map...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...&via=4&t=m&z=9

Last edited by sfarson; 06-06-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:13 AM
mccstevie
Cruiser

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I will avoid Guanella Pass and 77 and go with my original plan. Didn't want to miss the passes and Trail Ridge Rd.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:24 PM
RockyMtnRider
Advanced

My mistake about Rampart Road. I did mean 67 which is paved. Steve rides our mountain a bunch and has a great book. Can't go wrong with his advise. Saying that it will be a long day and be sure to dress for any weather. Trail Ridge can be cold even in July
Doug

Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 AM
sfarson
Road Master

Doug, To be sure, the route you describe through Deckers, to the Peak to Peak, along with the St. Vrain or the Big Thompson, or Stove Prairie/Poudre is outstanding.