Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Time in Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:18 AM
abnlyrics
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time in Sturgis

I am currently in the military serving overseas and I will be home just in time for Sturgis. I plan on riding from Milwaukee to Sturgis. I can't make staying reservations because everything in the service is subject to change. Any words of advice for my first time riding to Sturgis?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 AM
NoDeal
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring rain gear and some clothes good for 40 degrees or 95 degrees, fairly good chance you'll get both while there.

Search the site for roads, sites, etc... Riding in SD is absolutely stunning and various.

Coming from Wisconsin, you're essentially a straight shot on I-90 the whole way. Fairly flat, straight ride. Construction frequent, terrain varies from farms to fields to grassland, if u consider that variety. Pretty light traffic and good speeds every time I've ridden, except in construction zones.

Good luck, have fun and THANK YOU for your service.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM
lonn711
Advanced
Default The ride

If you have the time and want to really experience America, stay off the freeways and ride the secondary highways. Like hwy 14 to hwy 34 which goes right into Sturgis. Can't beat America's small towns for friendliness, small-town diners, local hotels and campgrounds. Beats the chain restaurants and hotels along freeways.

Just the stress of 18 wheelers, rv'ers, and speeding cagers!

Great time to enjoy yourself and lick wounds. After all, it's the ride to and from Sturgis that is behind the meaning of the Great Party.

See you there.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:30 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abnlyrics
I am currently in the military serving overseas and I will be home just in time for Sturgis. I plan on riding from Milwaukee to Sturgis. I can't make staying reservations because everything in the service is subject to change. Any words of advice for my first time riding to Sturgis?
I didn't have a reservation last year, but I found out that I could easily get a camping spot or a hotelroom.
You just have to call around. I have learned from last year that Rapid city will have more vacance hotelroom then the others.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 AM
abnlyrics
Novice

Thank You for the Advice