Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Trip is Planned

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012 | 02:52 PM
jjpish
|
Road Captain
Default The Trip is Planned

So I have mapped out the trip my wife and I plan to take the end of June. Starting on the Eastern Shore of Md and taking the Blue Ridge all the way down to Cherokee, NC then going over to Robbinsville doing the Tail of the Dragon – Cherohala Skyway loop and then heading back home. We are planning to leave on a Friday afternoon stay around Afton then start the BRP on Saturday. I mapped out getting to around Floyd, VA on Saturday, getting to Little Switzerland on Sunday and Robbinsville on Monday. Doing the loop on Tuesday then starting to head back home on Wednesday hitting the Wheels of Time planning on getting home Saturday sometime. So I am looking at 1532 miles in what amounts to 9 days. For those who have done a similar trip, this is not too ambitious is it? We did the BRP from Afton to Grandfather Mountain a few years ago and had we planned one more day we could have gotten to Cherokee. We really took our time and planned out our overnights and the ride from Roanoke, VA to Mount Airy was too short of a riding day, we could have made it to Blowing Rock for sure for that leg of the trip. Thoughts?

Old 05-08-2012 | 03:02 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm jealous, I must get something schedueled...ambitious I don't think so, east is so different than riding out west...so more relaxing this trip will be. If you stop at every turn on the parkway you may get alittle anxious as the day goes on.

Old 05-08-2012 | 03:04 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Looks like a great ride. May I suggest one little side trip since you will be right there anyway in Little Switzerland. That is the Diamondback Loop http://www.diamondbacknc.com/db_loop_route.html

It consist of Hwy 226A(Diamondback), Hwy 80(Devil's Whip)http://www.thedevilnc80.com/ and part of the BRP. Only approximately 30 miles long but well worth it. Nice little warm up for the Tail of the Dragon.

Some pics of me and my daughter riding The Devil's Whip in April pics 287-297 http://blindkenny.photoreflect.com/s...&po=285&pc=324

A place to stop and recharge and grab a bite just off the BRP is Freebornes at Hwy 18 S Laurel Springs, Mile Post 248 drop off the BRP and turn right if heading South it will be on your left. Another good place is Rap's at Mile Post 193.5.

Also run up to Mount Mitchell. It is a nice mile up ride and there are restrooms and snacks at the station as there is nothing else around that stretch you may want to make that pit stop and the scenery from the tower is great on a clear day.

Last edited by Nabubba; 05-08-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2012 | 03:10 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member

Stay away from I95 south. Depending on the time of day that area becomes a parking lot. I would head a little more west and then down. Or even hit Skyline Drive.

Old 05-08-2012 | 03:12 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by jjpish
So I am looking at 1532 miles in what amounts to 9 days. For those who have done a similar trip, this is not too ambitious is it?
All depends on what your style of riding is. 1532 miles in 9 days is only 170 miles per day which is only about 2.5 to 4 hours of riding. It will be a very slow relaxed pace.

When I plan trips I ride 300 to 500 miles per day depending on the type of road I will be riding on, road vs freeway.

Sounds like a great relaxing trip!

Old 05-08-2012 | 03:16 PM
camsmith
Road Captain

Not too ambitious. Just did Key West from middle Georgia and back which was 1600 miles over 8 days and we stopped A LOT including 2 days in the Keys. Sounds Great!

Old 05-08-2012 | 03:27 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

I'm jealous too, sounds sweet!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-08-2012 | 03:27 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

I'm heading that way at the end of July. Can't wait!! Enjoy!!

Old 05-08-2012 | 03:36 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Not too ambitious. Sounds easily manageable. I did 1200 miles in 5 days on state and US roads (no interstates). Remember though that the speed limit on the BRP is never higher than 45, so you won't be putting miles behind you quickly. If you do what another poster suggested and swing west to include Skyline Drive (which feeds into the BRP), the speed limit there is 35, so take that into account.

I see your route back includes the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I've always wanted to ride that, but when I had my Sporty with a narrow front tire, I avoided it because I understand part of the bridge is still metal grating which likes to grab and shake skinny tires. Have you ridden that part before?

ENJOY!

Last edited by TKDKurt; 05-08-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2012 | 03:48 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jasnusc
All depends on what your style of riding is. 1532 miles in 9 days is only 170 miles per day which is only about 2.5 to 4 hours of riding. It will be a very slow relaxed pace.

When I plan trips I ride 300 to 500 miles per day depending on the type of road I will be riding on, road vs freeway.

Sounds like a great relaxing trip!
Not too ambitious at all; we've done several 3000+ mile trips in 9 days, most bikes were two up and one gal on a sporster. Many of those miles on tight twisty mountainous roads.

Quick Reply: The Trip is Planned