Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Dailydriver06
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trip to the Dragon

My buds and I just got back from a 4 day trip to the Smokies. We came in on Rt. 28 (The Moonshiner) rode to The Ironhorse Campground in Stecoah...It was a great place with friendly people and good prices. The second day we rode the Cherohala Skyway to Tennesee and back down Rt 360 or something like that to 129 (Dragon) Rode the Dragon back to Deals Gap. When we left Deals Gap, We rode the Hellbender(Not sure what route that was) The next morning we rode the Blue Ridge Pkwy. To Maggie Valley...We decided to skip the rally and go to the Wheels through Time . It was worth every penny of admission. The owner Dale was very friendly and the exibits were amazing. We left there and rode the Pkwy back to The Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. Great place too. Met some folks on sport bikes there and they told us about Rt 151... It was great! They said it had 1 less curve than the Dragon...I didn't have time to count them on the way down. All in all...The Dragon was great, but very crowded even on a Friday. Cherohala Skyway was a do not miss! Moonshiner 28 was also great. Rt 151 Was almost deserted on a Sunday Morning, and worth the ride to get to it. By the way, bring your own beer and alcohol if going to either camp ground, dry counties.

Last edited by Dailydriver06; 05-07-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
mixxedupmedia
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was there recently myself. Gotta say, the Cherohala Skyway was a blast on a big bike.

As for The Dragon, I'd like to do it again on a sport bike.

We were there two weeks ago on a Monday and Tuesday. Had the roads practically to ourselves.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Foothills Parkway has some nice sweepers too.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dailydriver06
Met some folks on sport bikes there and they told us about Rt 151... It was great! They said it had 1 less curve than the Dragon...I didn't have time to count them on the way down.
Thanks for the write up, I'm planning a trip down there and looking for every recommend road I can find. I'm quickly realizing there are more roads than time to ride down there, it looks like a twisties lover dreamland. So I tried to find the rt 151 you mentioned and can't find it on Google maps, can you give me some detail so I can try to find it. Yes, that green hue you see is the envy of people like you that have been able to ride that area. Ride safe!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Mad Maps has some nice maps with popular routes documented.
They are not the least expensive maps available but the maps, forum and using Google Earth seems to round-out my information requirements.
There are coupon codes (10%-25%) for the maps sometimes..just do a google
https://www.madmaps.com/roadtrips/smoky-mountains

Old 05-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Dailydriver06
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Low_Wider
Thanks for the write up, I'm planning a trip down there and looking for every recommend road I can find. I'm quickly realizing there are more roads than time to ride down there, it looks like a twisties lover dreamland. So I tried to find the rt 151 you mentioned and can't find it on Google maps, can you give me some detail so I can try to find it. Yes, that green hue you see is the envy of people like you that have been able to ride that area. Ride safe!
Hey Low,
I'll Get more specific directions from my bud....But It was heading towards Ashville... Exit left...I will update as soon as my buddy gets back to me. You will have a blast riding those roads. Do a google search for it, Youtube has some video from riders going down. Hoping to post photos soon.