Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ozark Mountain Ride: Tearing through the Twisties!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics - hope you post more.
Thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice ride report. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks. Anytime I check the road trips section and it has anything to do with where I'll be going this summer I always open the thread. I usually learn something new about these rides and it just makes anticipating all the harder.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
supahflid
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for reading! I have the routes saved if anyone would like the .gdb files to download to your gps.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM
supahflid
Intermediate

Day 3:

My birthday! Boy how I dread those now that I have surpassed forty. Anyway, I was getting to do something that I love to do, so I felt fortunate to have the opportunity.

The plan was to ride to Branson, MO and stay the night. The route I made took us east to Bull shoals with a side trip around Highway 103/311 So, we loaded up the bikes:

Leaving Eureka Springs:

The route I planned ended up dead ending into a gravel road. MJG was adamant that we not ride down gravel! So, we turned around, but made a wrong turn and ended up back in Eureka Springs. Finally we made our way in the correct direction away from Eureka. Little did we know we would be heading right back there soon:

After some pretty fun twisty stuff, we took a break at liquor store, that thankfully had plenty of bottled water so we weren't forced to drink anything hard! While sipping our H2O, MJG was looking at the rear rotor and talking about his brake pads when he noticed:

See, the trouble with tires is that they work better if there is rubber over the cords. So, we knew we had a trip to the Harley place to get a new tire. Only trouble was, MJG had installed an 18" wheel. Of course, it ended up being a problem finding a tire that size. Here MJG talking to the fourth or fifth person about a tire and not having any luck:

When it became evident that a tire was not to be had anywhere close, MJG decided to try and find a stock wheel that would fit up to a tire that just about anyone would have. Sure enough, Pig Trail Harley in Rogers, AR came through! We were only seventy or so miles from there, so we took off with me in the rear just to watch the show if the tire came apart! (just kidding) I really was just trying to hang loose behind him and keep any would be tailgaters off of his back.

Anyway, we make it to Pig Trail Harley:

What a huge show room! MJG has entertained thoughts of getting a new bike, so he got into some pretty serious discussions about those two yellow bikes! Sadly, even though I was egging him on, he elected to not roll home with one of those pretty new beasts saying something about his wife putting the choke down on him or something! Haven't most of us been there!

Finally, after some searching around their warehouse, the excellent staff, especially Matt, came up with the right wheel for his bike. They rushed his bike in and got it taken care of and by about six o'clock, we were on our way! I can't say enough about how friendly everyone in the building was: sales, service, parts, everyone. Turns out Matt was originally from MS, so he took care of the bike from start to finish! Great dealership!

We had about an eighty mile trip to get to Branson, so we took off and soon found ourselves in the rolling Missouri hills:

We make it to Branson about dark and are ready for some vittles and other libations. It was my birthday after all! Sadly, I didn't get any pictures, but we had a good time! MJG was kind enough to buy my steak dinner and it was fantastic! Thanks buddy!

That's the end of Day 3. Tomorrow, the beginning of the end and a ride on the ferry!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
supahflid
Intermediate

Day 4:

Since we didn't get to do much riding the day before, I planned a long day of riding that would take us on much of the route we missed plus sort of back towards where we had been a day or two before.

Saw this heading out of town:

More bridges:

The sign says, "Beaver Creek" but I never saw any.

I took a wrong turn and we ended up on a county road. I'm sure MJG was thinking, "Man, this guy really wants to find some gravel!":

Finally, we make it to the ferry at Bull Shoals:

Met these nice folks from MO out for a Sunday ride. That KTM in the foreground is essentially the same as my KTM except it's stripped down and sold as a supermotard. Great bike!:

The ferry was fun. Quick trip too. We ride off the ferry behind our new friends:

I tried to keep up with them and for a couple of miles, they let me act like I was, but it wasn't long till they kicked in the afterburners and that was the last we saw of them. Damn, that Ultra is a big pig!

So we get down to Harrison and decide to look for something to eat. Since I was slow to roll that morning, it was getting late. MJG suggested that we might cut our route down and given my partly cloudy head, I agreed. So, we jumped on Highway 65 and headed to Little Rock. We ended up at the Capital Hotel in downtown Little Rock. A little pricey, but very nice. We ate at Bosco's and drank beer that they brew on the balcony next to the Arkansas River. After dinner, we stopped by the hotel bar and enjoyed a couple of night caps and headed off to bed.

Tomorrow we head home.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
supahflid
Intermediate

Day 5, the last day.

It's always such a ho-hum ride to me the "go home" day. I'm excited to see my family, but I really just want to ride and ride! Plus, we had the worst riding coming up back through the straight, hot, delta of AR and MS. Accordingly, I only took a couple of pictures:

Back across the really cool Mississippi River bridge:

And the smaller, Sunflower River bridge:

We passed several dried up catfish farms. Many of the catfish farmers have given up raising catfish due to rising production costs and the inability to recoup those costs through the selling price. Much of this land may be converted back to dirt farming:

We make one final stop close to home to say our goodbyes. MJG heading off solo:

I can't say enough how enjoyable this trip was. If you haven't ridden in northwest Arkansas, you should plan to. There are endless miles of fun, twisty roads, lots of biker friendly towns and plenty of attractions. The weather is still hot in the summer in the mountains, so early or late summer is a cooler time to ride.

I hope that you've enjoyed this ride report!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
dparker747
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic story, makes me want to take a trip across the river and ride the Ozarks!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Skumm
Banned

Great pics!! I sure do miss those roads in Arkansas! Next time try Mountain Home AR! Iron Horse Stables in Berryville, Arkansas is a great place to stay!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
shaw725
Novice

This was the first real trip my wife and I took. We are from just outside of St. Louis. I knew they had some great riding but I did not expect it to be so good. I know guys who have rode the dragon and they have said that some of the roads in Arkansas are just as good. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Ozark Mountain Ride: Tearing through the Twisties!