Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding Colorado's Mountain Passes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sfarson
Hey fwiw, there are over 40 paved passes in Colorado. The link here notes 42, and I know of at least four other paved passes not included! All have been paved for decades. FWIW, one can now ascend the north side of the Guanella Pass Scenic Byway (south out of Georgetown on I-70) on new pavement, in a park-like setting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_mountain_passes
The passes you are referencing include all the passes. Our ride was dedicated to only those that were over 10,000 ft. When I put the ride together, I was only able to come up with 22 + Mt. Evans. If I missed something, let me know.

Bill

Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billnourse
The passes you are referencing include all the passes. Our ride was dedicated to only those that were over 10,000 ft. When I put the ride together, I was only able to come up with 22 + Mt. Evans. If I missed something, let me know.

Bill
Ahhh. When you ride Milner Pass in RMNP, if coming from the east through the park two passes are summit-ed... Fall River Pass and Iceberg Pass on Trail Ridge Road, before descending to Milner. Both are near 11,800ft. If coming up from Grand Lake will need to continue past Milner all the way to the top. These two aren't on the 22 list but easy to bag. Fall River is noted as an "improved road" pass on the separate listing, but perhaps the reference is to the pass on the old Fall River Road, the road through the park prior to the construction of Trail Ridge. If you came through the park on your 22 ride, you really rode 24!

You could make it 26 paved passes attained by riding the sweet paved ascents to the tops of Cottonwood and Guanella. On Cottonwood, you would return back to Buena Vista if not up for the packed and maintained dirt on the west side.... but I see Gold Wings and Harleys on the west side seemingly every time I'm there. Guanella Pass is now an option, and it is not only nicely paved to the top from the north, but is paved on the south side as well, except for three miles down near Grant. Could always return back to the north and Georgetown.

There is a second Ute Pass, nicely paved/funded by the Henderson Mine delivering penthouse views of the Gore Range, but I believe it is slightly below 10,000ft.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

We did come through the park from the East out of Estes Park, so I guess we got the ones you are talking about. I just found all the ones that were on Colorado maps and went from there. I will have to look at the T-Shirts I had made for the ride to remember all the passes. They are all printed on the back of the shirts.

Bill

Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill... A salute for a creative, well thought out and executed ride. And shirts too!

BTW, last autumn I rode south out of Durango/Ignacio, past the massive Navajo Reservoir, then east across NM on U.S. 64. Wonderful and special riding.